The woke capitalism thread [Get woke, go broke]

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member

As a matter of fact, she wanted to, in her own words, make girls “want to smash the patriarchy” and display the “worst of modern womanhood.”

Yan, who only directed one other movie before being hired for Birds of Prey (BOP), detailed in a new interview with The New Yorker how she pitched the film to Warner Bros. “I put together a sizzle reel. But it was not your typical sizzle reel.”

Yan says she put together a reel of clips from the ABC reality show The Bachelor, a De Beers commercial, and President Trump’s infamous comments recorded by Access Hollywood.

Yan’s reel played to the tune of a remixed version of “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend” – a song Harley sings in the movie, dressed as Marilyn Monroe was in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. She stated:
"Like, scenes from ‘Bachelor’ proposals, the De Beers diamond commercial, Kim Kardashian’s vampire facial, Fox [News] anchors talking about women, Trump saying ‘Grab ’em by the p****’ – stuff that might make a girl want to smash the patriarchy. After I showed the video, there was just silence.”

How did that work out so far? Did the movie 'smash the patriarchy'?

kel

Pelican
Her sizzle reel sounds far more interesting than the movie that got funded from it, but I've never been a capeshit fan so maybe I'm not the best barometer.

Disappointing as I liked there food but this will be better for my heath not eating that greasy shit anymore.

That was hard to watch out of the sheer cringe forcefulness in which the gesture was done. Even the receiver tried to lighten up the vibe by cracking a much needed joke: "Chik Fil-A Shares"

The washing of the feet is a fundamental Christian act. I've seen it recreated often in weddings. This act has always made me uncomfortable for this reason: While the act gives the initial feeling of humility, it leaves the aftertaste of who is in the real position of power. When Jesus did it, it was a genuine lesson and surprising parable in humility. However; I don't believe the intent of the scripture was to literally wash feet. When recreated outside a ceremonial setting, it's a clear sign that the washer is assuming the authority of the King of kings.

Last edited:

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
Heh.
Humanities degrees to be more expensive in Australia, while nursing & STEM degrees to be cheaper... :sneaky:

Plans to double arts degrees blasted as ‘incredibly shortsighted’

Plans to double the cost of some university courses have been blasted as a shortsighted stunt that could put our future economy at risk.

Plans to double the cost of some university courses will leave Australia with a serious deficit in human-based skills and an unbalanced economy that will leave us all worse off, it has been argued.
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan announced the changes on Friday, saying “Australia is facing the biggest employment challenge since the Great Depression”.
Under the plans, nursing degrees, maths courses and psychology degrees will be slashed to just to $3700-a-year while arts degree and communications courses is set to double to $14,500 a year.
Law degrees and economics will also face fee hikes of nearly 30 per cent rising to $14,500.
The Morrison Government is trying to dissuade students from studying courses without a clear job pathway, but the President of the Australia Academy of the Humanities Professor Joy Damousi said the plan will backfire.

She told news.com.au she was hit with a sense of “utter dismay and disappointment” when she heard the announcement.
“The government has chosen to identify the humanities as an area that is basically being defunded and devalued as a contributor to the workforce,” she said.
“This is a very hostile and panicked response. It’s incredibly shortsighted and it utterly shows a lack of understanding of the humanities to the workforce, to our economy and to society.”
She believes there is a “disturbing message” in the announcement that arts and humanities do not have a contribution to make.
She said that the fact that an arts degree now costs more than a medical and veterinary course is “clearly ridiculous” — particularly since it costs far less in resources to run an arts degree.
It’s a decision that she says will make it difficult for lower income students to take a humanities degree, leading to an unbalanced economy and national skill-set in the future.
“Those skill-sets are going to become depleted in the coming years and as a nation we should be very concerned about it,” she said.

HA!
"Skills" she says...

You can go to the article for a photo of the hag complaining, yet I would not recommend it... :

N°6

Ostrich
Australia is doing the right thing. Part of the problem with the woke generation is that so many have gone to university to acquire so much debt and opportunity costs only to be fit to type angry scripts for the twitter typing pool. This is where a lot of the bitterness comes from in that 1960s men without degrees who started work after high school were better off financially and who were able to buy homes with mortgages which bore some ressemblance to the average wage. That’s before we consider the subversive content of the humanities.

In terms of national health governments should treat these degrees as cigarettes and tax them while giving health warning.

Heh.
Humanities degrees to be more expensive in Australia, while nursing & STEM degrees to be cheaper... :sneaky:

Plans to double arts degrees blasted as ‘incredibly shortsighted’

Plans to double the cost of some university courses have been blasted as a shortsighted stunt that could put our future economy at risk.

Plans to double the cost of some university courses will leave Australia with a serious deficit in human-based skills and an unbalanced economy that will leave us all worse off, it has been argued.
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan announced the changes on Friday, saying “Australia is facing the biggest employment challenge since the Great Depression”.
Under the plans, nursing degrees, maths courses and psychology degrees will be slashed to just to $3700-a-year while arts degree and communications courses is set to double to $14,500 a year.
Law degrees and economics will also face fee hikes of nearly 30 per cent rising to $14,500.
The Morrison Government is trying to dissuade students from studying courses without a clear job pathway, but the President of the Australia Academy of the Humanities Professor Joy Damousi said the plan will backfire.

She told news.com.au she was hit with a sense of “utter dismay and disappointment” when she heard the announcement.
“The government has chosen to identify the humanities as an area that is basically being defunded and devalued as a contributor to the workforce,” she said.
“This is a very hostile and panicked response. It’s incredibly shortsighted and it utterly shows a lack of understanding of the humanities to the workforce, to our economy and to society.”
She believes there is a “disturbing message” in the announcement that arts and humanities do not have a contribution to make.
She said that the fact that an arts degree now costs more than a medical and veterinary course is “clearly ridiculous” — particularly since it costs far less in resources to run an arts degree.
It’s a decision that she says will make it difficult for lower income students to take a humanities degree, leading to an unbalanced economy and national skill-set in the future.
“Those skill-sets are going to become depleted in the coming years and as a nation we should be very concerned about it,” she said.

HA!
"Skills" she says...

You can go to the article for a photo of the hag complaining, yet I would not recommend it... :

This sounds bassackwards.

Shouldn’t the degrees that are more likely to lead to lucrative careers cost more?

This sounds bassackwards.

Shouldn’t the degrees that are more likely to lead to lucrative careers cost more?
Well yes, but no. Australia needs people that earn their keep, and people need skills that pay a decent wage. In the long run, this move will lower household debt, and increase cash flow in their economy. Unless students, like smokers, ignore the price increase, it’ll be a net positive. But if they do... Well, cancer.

stugatz

Kingfisher

Disappointing as I liked there food but this will be better for my heath not eating that greasy shit anymore.

What a stupid move. The left still doesn't forgive them for their earlier conservative stances, and they're already on thin ice with us for not supporting the Salvation Army anymore. Now this?

Enough people don't give a damn - but the hard right had their back, and they're very loyal.

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
Now for some good news.
Cause lord knows the first film was an absolute joke.

Voxday :

The brokeness of wokeness
There will be no sequel to Birds of Prey:

Margot Robbie's Birds of Prey was a record breaking failure at the box office. According to online publisher Giant Freakin' Robot, the sequel to Birds of Prey has been canned.

'Warners [Brothers] no longer believes in the concept or in the creative team behind the movie,' the publication's source said.

Birds of Prey failed at the box office, recording the worst opening of any DC Comics superhero movie, bringing in just US$201.9 million worldwide. This was worse than the critically panned Green Lantern film, which still brought in US$219.9 million in 2011.

The Legend Chuck Dixon wrote the original comic. They should have hired him to write the script.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2020/07/the-brokeness-of-wokeness.html

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
It's going to be fun to watch all the white Hollowood folk say how great it is for the rise of super woke Hollowood.

Through gritted teeth...

While they lose their work & jobs...

Hollywood's identity crisis: Actors, writers and producers warn of 'reverse racism' in the film industry which has created a 'toxic' climate for anyone who is a white, middle-age man

As the wooden boards are taken down from shopfronts and studio lots grind slowly back to life, Hollywood is basking in an unseasonable heatwave.
The famous boulevards shimmer in 40C haze and warm Santa Ana winds fan the Beverly Hills mansions.
Shaken by #MeToo, paralysed by Covid-19, the $50 billion film industry is finally emerging from a four-month lockdown – only to find a new and very different world, where tension is rising as surely as the thermometer.
For if the very public Black Lives Matter protests have polarised America, the silent fallout has now reached Hollywood.
A revolution is under way. White actors are being fired. Edicts from studio bosses make it clear that only minorities – racial and sexual – can be given jobs.
A new wave of what has been termed by some as anti-white prejudice is causing writers, directors and producers to fear they will never work again. One described the current atmosphere as 'more toxic than Chernobyl', with leading actors afraid to speak out amid concern they will be labelled racist.
The first sign came with one of the most powerful black directors in Hollywood, Oscar-winning Jordan Peele – the man behind box office hits such as Get Out and Us – stated in public that he did not want to hire a leading man who was white.
'I don't see myself casting a white dude as the lead in my movie,' Peele said. 'Not that I don't like white dudes. But I've seen that movie before.'
As one studio executive responded privately: 'If a white director said that about hiring a black actor, their career would be over in a heartbeat.' Few doubt it.
Peele is more vocal than most about his hiring policy, but his outlook is increasingly widespread. Dozens of producers, writers and actors have spoken to The Mail on Sunday about the wave of 'reverse racism' pulsing through the industry.
The latest buzzword in Tinseltown is 'Bipoc' – an acronym for Black, Indigenous and People of Colour – and 'Menemy', which means a white, male enemy of the diversity movement. 'Everyone wants to be able to check all the boxes for each new hire,' according to one Oscar-nominated insider.
'Directors normally have a say about who is in their project. Not any more. It's all about 'Bipoc hiring'. And it's coming directly from the heads of the studios who know their jobs are on the line. White middle-aged men are collateral damage. They are the Menemy.'
Such is the culture shift that one studio is now preparing to shoot a film with an all-black cast and crew – a project which should normally give cause for celebration.
But when a white woman, a highly respected executive, was tasked to 'oversee' the production on location, she was told she would receive no on-screen credit. A source from the studio behind the project said: 'The kids making the film are fresh, great new talent. But they are kids. None of them are over 25. Most of them have never been on a movie set, let alone a movie which costs $20 million. They don't know the basics about how union rules work, about taking regular breaks or how long you can shoot in a day.
We need to protect our investment and make sure they get up on time and shoot what they need. Otherwise, we could have a multi-million- dollar train out of control.
'We're sending this woman, who is brilliant, to run things on the ground. But she won't get any title credit. People won't admit it, they can't admit it, but reverse racism is definitely going on. You could argue that it's a good thing, that this swinging of the pendulum so far the other way is only fair after years of white privilege. But at what cost? Surely it is best for everyone if people are hired on the basis of talent and ability? I can tell you, we are hiring people based purely on their ethnicity, gender and social-media profiles.
'If you are brown and female and gay then come on in. We're all getting diversity training. We're walking on eggshells during every Zoom meeting. It's got to the point where, if there's a person of colour in the meeting, we can't hang up before they do, for fear of it being considered offensive.'

Good.
Good.
Continue to shoot yourself in the foot.
1594554811741.gif