Thoughts on car payments

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Patrician's taste, rice or muscle. Have you worked on any of the 4 cylinders in the past? They get a lot of flak from the "no replacement for displacement" boomer crowd, but I have seen some mean S2Ks and Mazdaspeeds blow away Shelbys. Turbo + manual + short wheelbase = recipe for fun.

Pax Christi.
Oh yes.... many. I have owned a few s2000s, a NSX, a Evo, two WRXs (I currently own a 400hp bugeye WRX) and many other Japanese sports cars. There may be "no replacement for displacement" but for me there is no replacement for a turbo spooling up 20lbs of boost an then the WHOOOOSH when I let of the gas to change gears :)

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
My previous car was a lease. Recently it ended and I had to get something to replace it.

I ended up buying a used CR-V from about seven years ago. Great condition, good price, does all the stuff I need it to. I also opted to get a three-year warranty on it, which was not expensive. Low monthly payments and little interest. It's not beautiful but I don't hate looking at it. Not cool at all, but not nearly as dorky a family vehicle as driving a minivan. Almost anonymous.

I like the idea of also having an older, no-frills car like an old Jeep Cherokee or a Chevrolet pickup from the 90s. Like some other posters, I hate how most newer cars look - only a couple of newer vehicles like Civics, Tacomas, and Land Cruisers look decent at all, which have a bit of a Japanese mecha designer vibe to them. Older, blockier cars are better. Modern SUVs are almost entirely hideous (Infinity, Nissan, etc.), pickup trucks are ugly, ill-proportioned status symbols instead of practical vehicles, and everything is so computerized that you can hardly maintain it yourself.

I really don't want to think about my car any more than I have to, it just needs to get the job done.

Oh yes.... many. I have owned a few s2000s, a NSX, a Evo, two WRXs (I currently own a 400hp bugeye WRX) and many other Japanese sports cars. There may be "no replacement for displacement" but for me there is no replacement for a turbo spooling up 20lbs of boost an then the WHOOOOSH when I let of the gas to change gears :)
What a track record, haha. Must be hard picking a favorite in those circumstances.

Pax Christi.