Thoughts on headcoverings

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
What are your thoughts on covering your head at church? Women did this nearly universally until our grandmothers' or great-grandmothers' time. When I read 1 Corinthians 11, I have a hard time seeing anything but a literal interpretation. Thoughts?

Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given [a]to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
The typical liberal counter to head coverings is that Paul was merely saying this for cultural reasons. Well, the culture of the Corinthian church was clearly that women didn't have to wear head coverings, so he corrected them, because their culture was wrong. It is a great show of humility for women to wear head coverings.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
The typical liberal counter to head coverings is that Paul was merely saying this for cultural reasons. Well, the culture of the Corinthian church was clearly that women didn't have to wear head coverings, so he corrected them, because their culture was wrong. It is a great show of humility for women to wear head coverings.
It's such an interesting topic to me. Even the most conservative of conservative Protestants don't typically cover their heads. I have a friend who attends an independent Baptist church (no alcohol; skirts/dresses only for the ladies, etc.) but nary a headcovering in sight.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I've taken to wearing a head covering most of the time, even though I haven't set foot in any kind of church in ages. I usually wear a hat, sometimes a scarf. Sometimes a hat AND a scarf. I usually keep most of my head/hair covered most of the time.

I can only assume that the reason women cover their heads in church isn't to CONCEAL, but for some other purpose - since the common style is much more ornamental and usually accentuates a hairstyle rather than hiding it away.

I like to hide my hair away from public view because I got so tired of people wanting to talk about it and touch it. Is that something other people have had to deal with? Older ladies at Mormon church used to do it a LOT, but sometimes just random strangers too. I dunno, it seems really weird to me and I find it embarrassing. I hate it. I get compliments on my hats a lot now, but at least people don't try to pet them or run their fingers through them.

One thing I noticed right away when I started wearing hats a lot was that I suddenly understood the phrase "thinking cap" better. Something about wearing a hat, for whatever reason, is very conducive to turning my thoughts inward. I've often wondered if that's a common phenomenon for other people, and if it might be a real thing that is somehow related to the prevalence of social/cultural/religious customs involving head-wear and head-coverings pretty much all over the world. Never really looked into that - but I have read that some Native American peoples viewed the hair as an "antenna" or signal receiver of sorts.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I've taken to wearing a head covering most of the time, even though I haven't set foot in any kind of church in ages. I usually wear a hat, sometimes a scarf. Sometimes a hat AND a scarf. I usually keep most of my head/hair covered most of the time.

I can only assume that the reason women cover their heads in church isn't to CONCEAL, but for some other purpose - since the common style is much more ornamental and usually accentuates a hairstyle rather than hiding it away.

I like to hide my hair away from public view because I got so tired of people wanting to talk about it and touch it. Is that something other people have had to deal with? Older ladies at Mormon church used to do it a LOT, but sometimes just random strangers too. I dunno, it seems really weird to me and I find it embarrassing. I hate it. I get compliments on my hats a lot now, but at least people don't try to pet them or run their fingers through them.

One thing I noticed right away when I started wearing hats a lot was that I suddenly understood the phrase "thinking cap" better. Something about wearing a hat, for whatever reason, is very conducive to turning my thoughts inward. I've often wondered if that's a common phenomenon for other people, and if it might be a real thing that is somehow related to the prevalence of social/cultural/religious customs involving head-wear and head-coverings pretty much all over the world. Never really looked into that - but I have read that some Native American peoples viewed the hair as an "antenna" or signal receiver of sorts.
I cannot honestly say anyone has ever wanted to touch my hair. Is your hair somewhat unique?

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Is your hair somewhat unique?
I've never thought so, just from looking at it myself. It's just dark brown hair that is mostly straightish most of the time. But people tell me things like "it's so thick and shiny" (thanks... cringe), and they want to know "what I do to it" to make it look like that (nothing!), and hair stylists have always been like "ugh, you have so much hair" (like, hairs per square inch density and also a low hairline) so I guess it's not totally normal. I've NEVER thought that should be noticeable or remarkable enough to warrant attention from people who were not dudes trying to get in my pants. But it has happened often enough to make me really self-conscious about it.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I've never thought so, just from looking at it myself. It's just dark brown hair that is mostly straightish most of the time. But people tell me things like "it's so thick and shiny" (thanks... cringe), and they want to know "what I do to it" to make it look like that (nothing!), and hair stylists have always been like "ugh, you have so much hair" (like, hairs per square inch density and also a low hairline) so I guess it's not totally normal. I've NEVER thought that should be noticeable or remarkable enough to warrant attention from people who were not dudes trying to get in my pants. But it has happened often enough to make me really self-conscious about it.
We have very similar hair, actually. I must give off a "stay out of my bubble" vibe, lol.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Head covering for women is supported by Scripture. Any time a woman prays or worships she is supposed to cover her head.

Historically, Protestants used to wear more traditional head coverings which eventually turned into the Sunday Hat. Unfortunately, once women wearing hats fell out of fashion (during the civil rights movement, *of course*), the practice began to fade away and nothing replaced it. I remember wearing Easter hats as a child but I think it seems anachronistic now. In my personal opinion, a simple head covering, even just a ribbon, could probably fulfill that requirement.

That’s one thing I do wonder about. How “covered” does the woman’s head need to be? The Bible isn’t specific, as far as I know, about how it is to be covered just that the woman should cover her head in some way. If anyone has more knowledge about this aspect of head coverings, I would be really interested.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
The other argument is that a woman’s hair is her covering and is sufficient. If that was the case then Christian men should shave their heads completely lest they be “covered.”
6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered.
This means that a woman should have long hair (long enough to identify her as a woman) and also wear a head covering. If a woman doesn’t cover her head, let her have her hair cut short in shame.

Last edited:

Ah_Tibor

Pelican
Woman
Orthodox
Not really into it. When I was a kid the only people covering their heads were old or immigrants (with the occasional convert that stuck out). I cover my hair for practical reasons at work (line cook) or during the summer so it doesn't get damaged.

Ah_Tibor

Pelican
Woman
Orthodox
Unfortunately, once women wearing hats fell out of fashion (during the civil rights movement, *of course*), the practice began to fade away and nothing replaced it. I remember wearing Easter hats as a child but I think it seems anachronistic now.
Men used to wear hats. I think fashion became more utilatarian and comfort based in general.

I always had Easter hats too. I liked my frilly dresses but those hats though

Cervantes

Woodpecker
Woman
Good Christians are always looking for ways to show additional reverence to God. Women have this additional way which is easy to do and looks beautiful so I'm glad to see it returning in traditional parishes. I see a lot of young women especially doing it.

As Christians we also look for ways to attenuate that which is carnal so that we can focus more on the spiritual. Veiling, and modest clothing is a manifestation of that effort.

A young woman wearing revealing clothing will attract male attention to their bodies. Veiled and dressed modestly it attracts attention to the more advanced development of their spiritual lives. So its also a sign of the kind of man they want to attract.

Last edited:

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
I used to drive through the black part of town regularly as a shortcut (small town, not dangerous during daylight). One Sunday late morning I went through just as church was letting out, and every one of the ladies had hats. Most were big flamboyant hats, so I’m not sure humility was the motivation, but it was interesting regardless.

Hub and I discussed it years ago, and he was against it. We lived in central florida at the time, and the only women wearing head coverings were Muslim. He was adamant he didn’t want me looking Muslim. We now live where there are a lot of Amish and mennonites and covered ladies of an unknown religion. I find it charming, but I know my hub wouldn’t want me doing it. As my head his decision stands, and I’m relieved because I’m VERY hot-natured.

Does a big messy bun count??

The Mennonite ladies here are very feminine with pretty but modest dresses and little white caps. The Amish are so covered up I don’t know how they stand it in the summer. Head wraps and bonnets, long hair packed into it, and layers of black head to toe. They do stink, in case anyone was wondering.

Gingerrodent

Chicken
Woman
What are your thoughts on covering your head at church? Women did this nearly universally until our grandmothers' or great-grandmothers' time. When I read 1 Corinthians 11, I have a hard time seeing anything but a literal interpretation. Thoughts?

Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. 6 For if a woman is not covered, let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved, let her be covered. 7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man is not from woman, but woman from man. 9 Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man. 10 For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman, nor woman independent of man, in the Lord. 12 For as woman came from man, even so man also comes through woman; but all things are from God.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given [a]to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.
I am a RC (latin only mass) and always wear mass veil.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
I used to drive through the black part of town regularly as a shortcut (small town, not dangerous during daylight). One Sunday late morning I went through just as church was letting out, and every one of the ladies had hats. Most were big flamboyant hats, so I’m not sure humility was the motivation, but it was interesting regardless.

Hub and I discussed it years ago, and he was against it. We lived in central florida at the time, and the only women wearing head coverings were Muslim. He was adamant he didn’t want me looking Muslim. We now live where there are a lot of Amish and mennonites and covered ladies of an unknown religion. I find it charming, but I know my hub wouldn’t want me doing it. As my head his decision stands, and I’m relieved because I’m VERY hot-natured.

Does a big messy bun count??

The Mennonite ladies here are very feminine with pretty but modest dresses and little white caps. The Amish are so covered up I don’t know how they stand it in the summer. Head wraps and bonnets, long hair packed into it, and layers of black head to toe. They do stink, in case anyone was wondering.
Try to meet in the middle and wear a head band?

Gingerrodent

Chicken
Woman
In the RC faith we wear a lace head veil, blackfor adults, white for girls. I grew up in London and from a large scot/irish family, my gran always wore a head scarf when going out, shopping etc. It was the norm for Christian women to cover their heads. It was only the late 60s 70s when women stopped doing it. Christians wore head coverings long before muslims. A head band wont do, the entire top of head must be covered. Its not the end of the world if your husband doesnt like it, has he said why?