Thoughts on headcoverings

IconWriter

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Gold Member
Years agoI began to voluntarily cover my hair at our Orthodox church where it is optional. Placing it on as I enter the nave immediately feels I'm leaving the world outside and entering a prayer-filled atmosphere. I used to wonder that if you cover your head humbly to pray, shouldn't we be covering all the time. It's like having a portable "prayer closet."

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
In the RC faith we wear a lace head veil, blackfor adults, white for girls. I grew up in London and from a large scot/irish family, my gran always wore a head scarf when going out, shopping etc. It was the norm for Christian women to cover their heads. It was only the late 60s 70s when women stopped doing it. Christians wore head coverings long before muslims. A head band wont do, the entire top of head must be covered. Its not the end of the world if your husband doesnt like it, has he said why?

I’ve always loved those lace head coverings Catholics where. In Florida he didn’t want me looking Muslim. They were the only ones in our area who covered, and 99% of people can’t tell the difference in a Muslim vs. Christian head covering (I couldn’t back then). Here in the Midwest US where it’s more common amongst non Muslims he doesn’t care.

The Mennonites here don’t cover their whole head of hair. I’ve often wondered about that.

Cristina

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
In my parish a headcovering and a long skirt are expected of women attending church services. Most women follow this rule, including myself, but no one would be kicked out of the church for not wearing a headcovering.

Most old ladies in the village wear a headcovering all the time, especially if they are leaving the house. In their youth a headcovering was expected from married women, and it signaled their married status. I personally admire that custom and I think it is a shame women today don't act the same way today.

IconWriter

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Gold Member
There are so many beautiful fabrics for them, lace, open-weave, silk, trimmed out, and women have found so many ways to tie them. I guess it also puts the primping with your hair into a secondary role. One lady just wore a beret!

AdorationoftheCross

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
I don't think they are as necessary as purity of heart or your inner devotion if you lack covering it's not the end of the world, but I do see it as spiritually edifying practice. I keep forgetting to cover at church, so I'm a bit embarrassed at that. Time to make a lace veil...

BasilSeal

Kingfisher
Catholic
Gold Member
I was at a Catholic Latin mass today, and almost every woman and even the youngest girls had beautiful lace headcoverings. What can I say, it made me very happy to see. Many were young mothers with large families, as well.