Three Meals a day Myth

DelMarMisty

Robin
Woman
I have a coworker who is adamant she must eat three meals a day to function and feel healthy. It got me thinking about the different ways people structure their eating habits. To me, the three meals a day concept seems made up. Why would we need so many meals a day? I think a few snacks and a dinner would be sufficient? Or vice versa. I see some people literally having huge meals three times a day and it doesn't seem like they look healthy. I did a super strict lent, and I can't believe even some of my own gluttonous habits before the fast. I think fasting serves such an important purpose in self-control and self-reflection. For example, drizzling so much olive oil on a toast or doing Keto all wrong and using butter on things I probably shouldn't, overdoing cheese etc. Lent has allowed me to see the absolute beauty and power and strength that comes from simple food not to mention the vitality you feel when your body is hungry...

TexasJenn

Robin
Woman
When I feel I need a detox, I go through a phase where I eat one meal a day. I wait till I'm really hungry, around 2 or 3 pm, eat one healthy meal, and that's it. When I do this, I drop any sludge in the body and my energy increases. When you give your body a break from digestion, it can attend to other functions, like detox and healing.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
I felt my healthiest on Keto. Unsure how sustainable it is, unless one has an experienced keto practioner to guide you.

My goal is not to have supper, or even liquids from evening to facilitate my body's daily fast, until near noon next day. I like to start with a bullet proof coffee to get my energy.
Carbs make me sluggish, so I minimise them.
I love meat, but too much of it causes slower digestion.

One meal suits me as long as I maintain healthy fats and lots of greens.

Sundays would be my day of just liquid fasting, if I will just implement it.

DelMarMisty

Robin
Woman
I felt my healthiest on Keto. Unsure how sustainable it is, unless one has an experienced keto practioner to guide you.

My goal is not to have supper, or even liquids from evening to facilitate my body's daily fast, until near noon next day. I like to start with a bullet proof coffee to get my energy.
Carbs make me sluggish, so I minimise them.
I love meat, but too much of it causes slower digestion.

One meal suits me as long as I maintain healthy fats and lots of greens.

Sundays would be my day of just liquid fasting, if I will just implement it.
Wow. That sounds great. Do you get cravings for certain types of food?

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Nuts, but I limit them to raw cashews. But maybe I crave nuts for their crunchiness. I love textured variety foods.

Also, if I don't have my freshly squeezed wake up lemon, I crave vitamin C, because I don't get enough berries.

Ah_Tibor

Woodpecker
Woman
My general diet is calories in/out. I usually have something small in the AM (bagel, roll, grits, oatmeal, etc) with coffee, lunch (leftovers, sandwich, or salad), and dinner (the big meal). I also have a sweet tooth which I try to keep under control. Days where I have to work evenings I'll often make a bigger breakfast or lunch to eat with my husband.

I try to follow general guidelines, not diets, and just eat good food in general. Slavs tend to like vegetables a lot so I definitely inherited that gene, lol. Last night I brought home a burger from work but I split it with my husband and had a side of broccoli instead of fries.

I always feel like crap after Easter. I usually do first week/Holy Week strict and then Wednesdays and Fridays. I only had meat once or twice and it was because it was going bad. But yeah my mom gave us a ham so we just finished it the other night (made soup with the ham bone). And we had a lot of kolbasi.

Anyway, I think diet depends on lifestyle. Your body knows what it needs!

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
I did really strict keto for a while. I felt really healthy in my body but I just couldn’t stand the thought of eating anymore red meat, butter, avocados, or cheese. I remember the day I quit, I was sitting down for dinner to eat a steak and thinking, “ugh... I don’t want to eat this :vomit:“ And craving a huge pile of fresh oranges lol

PVW

Pigeon
Woman
Three meals per day has worked fine for me. It's how I've always eaten, how I grew up. But these aren't huge meals, though. Add in at least an hour of exercise most days, and I'm fine. I pursue intermittent fasting as well: I eat between ten hours of the day and fast for fourteen.

Last edited:

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
My own experience is that I have to adopt different eating habits depending on how I live and work.

Currently, I could probably eat one decent-sized meal per day, in addition to a cup or two of coffee with cream, and be fine. In fact, I SHOULD be doing something like that. Any bodily protests against that model at this point are just about comfort.

When I was walking several miles per day and had a full-time/over-time job that was also fairly strenuous, I had to shovel food in there all day long. I could physically get away with skipping a meal, but it made me irritable/moody. My co-workers would watch me sit down on a break and devour, like, a big chunk of smoked salmon and an equally big piece of pecan pie and be like: o_O

Back when I was trying to subsist on "as little as possible" and being more strict about what I ate, I had to space it out so that I at least ate something every few hours, or I would get headaches and start to feel light-headed. A couple of times I actually briefly fainted, kind of inexplicably, and figured out later that I'd gone way too long without eating.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
12/24h fasted, plus 3-4 cycles of a fasting mimicking diet (FMD) per annum (500-800 calories/5 days followed by normal caloric intake) seems like a decent way to go. Avoid long term water fasts, as they might damage the gut lining and reduce immune function. (surprising, but the latest data seems to indicate that) CR is not a good idea no matter what.

PVW

Pigeon
Woman
My own experience is that I have to adopt different eating habits depending on how I live and work.

Currently, I could probably eat one decent-sized meal per day, in addition to a cup or two of coffee with cream, and be fine. In fact, I SHOULD be doing something like that. Any bodily protests against that model at this point are just about comfort.

When I was walking several miles per day and had a full-time/over-time job that was also fairly strenuous, I had to shovel food in there all day long. I could physically get away with skipping a meal, but it made me irritable/moody. My co-workers would watch me sit down on a break and devour, like, a big chunk of smoked salmon and an equally big piece of pecan pie and be like: o_O

Back when I was trying to subsist on "as little as possible" and being more strict about what I ate, I had to space it out so that I at least ate something every few hours, or I would get headaches and start to feel light-headed. A couple of times I actually briefly fainted, kind of inexplicably, and figured out later that I'd gone way too long without eating.
You are getting at something important. If you're getting a lot of exercise, your body will need adequate sources of energy so that you don't starve.

That is the problem with anorexia, when women literally starve themselves to death. They eat very little, yet some of them exercise a lot. It damages their bodies.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman

I add healthy salt, celtic sea salt, to my one time daily wake up coffee: blended coffee, coconut oil, salt and full cream. This, I find helps me with light headedness.

When I'm sweating, I add more salt in water for the day.
In a water bottle I have a little apple cider vinegar (with the mother), to sip throughout the day.

If one has too much plain water, it dilutes electrolytes, which I guess can cause dizziness, muscle camps, headaches, etc. Having same symptoms of deydration perhaps.

If one craves glucose, then it can be because healthy fats are not consumed.

Vigilant

Kingfisher
Woman
Yes, food is for serving us and one another, not ruling us. With grocery stores, 80% is process 'food'.
I enjoy avoiding most of the store, and target the live foods first, then a few dry products.

The cattle owners own both monopolized food stores, pharma, and medical industry, so they control their cattle by providing the cause of dissatisfaction in chemicalizing our tastest, to providing the full circle chemicalizing solution, quite successfully, it would seem.

Notice their exploitation by parasiting the cattle by 'milking' experimentally and with inflated costs, through the deceptive chemo 'nuking' of cancer, they probably caused in the first place.

Btw, breast feeding is ketogenic for babies.
I have a coworker who is adamant she must eat three meals a day to function and feel healthy. It got me thinking about the different ways people structure their eating habits. To me, the three meals a day concept seems made up. Why would we need so many meals a day? I think a few snacks and a dinner would be sufficient? Or vice versa. I see some people literally having huge meals three times a day and it doesn't seem like they look healthy. I did a super strict lent, and I can't believe even some of my own gluttonous habits before the fast. I think fasting serves such an important purpose in self-control and self-reflection. For example, drizzling so much olive oil on a toast or doing Keto all wrong and using butter on things I probably shouldn't, overdoing cheese etc. Lent has allowed me to see the absolute beauty and power and strength that comes from simple food not to mention the vitality you feel when your body is hungry...

Ah_Tibor

Woodpecker
Woman

Hahah I hear ya. I walk a lot and I'm on my feet at work. I don't feel bad about eating a big meal in that case because I feel like garbage otherwise.

I also enjoy food in general and I like eating different things. My whole family is pretty food-oriented though.