Time Restricted Eating

Lampwick said:
General Stalin said:
Does this only work if your time window is during daylight hours? Dr. Patrick mentions that humans are diurnal so sort of the point of the time restricted eating is that you limit your body's digestive and metabolic functions to the daytime rhythm. If I set a 10 hours daily intake window of 12:00pm - 10:00pm does that defeat the purpose because I am eating well into nighttime hours?

Dr. Satchin Panda addresses this question, and the short answer is that we don't know yet, as it hasn't been specifically studied. Here's what he says we do know:

• You should stop eating 2-4 hours before bedtime, depending on your metabolism. Having food in the stomach diverts blood to aid in digestion, which raises your core body temperature. Core body temperature needs to drop in order to induce sleep.
  • Similarly, melatonin rises in the body within 2-3 hours of bedtime. Melatonin reduces insulin production, which may lead to high glucose levels in the blood for a long period of time if you have food in your system.
  • Insulin sensitivity has been shown to be highest early in the morning. But it is not clear if this phenomenon is relative to the beginning of the feeding window. In other words, if you regularly start eating later in the day, we don't know if you will experience similar insulin sensitivity from that first meal as if you ate it early in the morning.
  • He believes that a time-restricted feeding window, even if not optimal according to the above points, is better than a random feeding window.

References:

Skip to 9m20s and 45m31s.

As a totally random aside - seeing Rhonda Patrick there pregnant as fuck and holding her belly gave me a weird sort of fuzzy feeling inside. I'm 50, don't have kids, and never wanted them, but for some reason seeing that image struck a primal nerve. Circle of life and all that shit.

As for removal of all nutrients aside from water during that 16+ hour window, I don't see how I could manage that, seeing as how I really need to take some sleep supplements due to medications I have to take. The powder has glycine, which sure as hell kicks off some liver/gut function.

StrikeBack

Ostrich
Gold Member
From reading and watching and trying a lot of these over the years, the primary reason why they work is because overall you are consuming fewer calories. If you track your calories via something like MyFitnessPal, it'll be obvious. There are some other benefits but it's mostly to do with your lifestyle and ability to adhere to the diet. If you can only do big workouts in the morning, probably not gonna be able to skip breakfast and lunch. Some of the hardcore proponents of these diets are also on drugs / TRT which skew the results massively. If you're a regular guy with a regular job, your results "may vary".

By the way, never get your woman on any form of IF, including this one. They are built more for snacking on small meals over the whole day, unlike us.

StrikeBack said:
From reading and watching and trying a lot of these over the years, the primary reason why they work is because overall you are consuming fewer calories. If you track your calories via something like MyFitnessPal, it'll be obvious. There are some other benefits but it's mostly to do with your lifestyle and ability to adhere to the diet. If you can only do big workouts in the morning, probably not gonna be able to skip breakfast and lunch. Some of the hardcore proponents of these diets are also on drugs / TRT which skew the results massively. If you're a regular guy with a regular job, your results "may vary".

By the way, never get your woman on any form of IF, including this one. They are built more for snacking on small meals over the whole day, unlike us.

If you watch the videos, there are more benefits than just reduced calories. They talk specifically about eating the same total calories in a restricted window and gaining a greater benefit vs normal extended windows. Other benefits include gut healing (tight junctions), lower inflammation etc.

For what it's worth, my ex did IF eating and loved it. My mom (71) also does it, and fasts for 72 hours every week. She also lifts weights and eats clean. Takes supplements and HRT. Has been doing this for years and years. She has the blood markers/bone density of a 40 year old woman and is very lean and has incredibly strong hands for a 71 year old woman (opens jars that would give soy boys trouble). The only thing that gives away her age is the skin of her hands (very transparent)

I realize she is an extreme outlier, but nevertheless women can certainly pull this shit off if they are motivated.

Fortis

Crow
Gold Member
Fasting is very easy. You just have to find out your optimum discipline technique. For me, I like to rationalize things.

So, if I'm at work and I'm getting hungry and it's past my eating time, I will say to myself:

"This is just your brain sending funny hormone signals to your body. Wait 5 minutes and see what your body says."

I tend to find that hunger pangs subside once you make a conscious decision not to give in.

I know that's somewhat nerdy but the more you understand how the body works the better you can convince yourself to pull through.

I do this with reading and writing as well. Sometimes you just have to tell your body who is boss. I learned how to do this because I used to get into arguments with my parents and family and they would say I was always rationalizing things.

:Jordan:

The beauty of fasting when you're hungry is that you build your ability to fight against impulses. It's an alpha trait that will always be useful.

Cr33pin, thanks for making this thread. I learned something new.

The key points I took away from the video is that time restricted eating has profound effects on muscle mass without any other factors being altered.

Your body metabolises food more efficiently, your gut gets to rest and there are a number of benefits which it appears are only recently being recognised and understood, such as reduced recurrence of cancer in sufferers and complete resolution of type 2 diabetes.

The logic behind it makes sense, human beings did not evolve to eat the way people do now. It's not surprising that modern eating habits have some negative effects on the body.

In the Joe Rogan interview GSP said he has never felt better since starting time restricted eating. Increased muscle mass, decreased body fat, sleeping better, feels better in general, symptoms disappeared - not sure if he was talking about diabetes or something else. Sounds like it's had a major impact on his life.

TLOZ thread on light boxes and how they can reset and sync the body's circadian clock is in a similar vein to time restricted eating, this is another string to the same bow. Sleep and eat the way we are evolved to.

Thanks for posting Cr33pin. Will report back.

Cr33pin said:
I started eating during a 10 hour window after listeningto this podcast. I actually only eat meals in a 7 hour window. I don't eat anything after 7pm or anything before 9am. However at 9am I only have some bullet proof coffee and a banana, I don't eat my first meal of the day until 12. Then I usually have turkey sausage and eggs, sometime around 2-3 I will have a sandwich and then around 6 I have a decent dinner.

You will have better results cutting out the coffee and banana in the morning. just a sip of a coffee is enough calories for your body to start producing the digestive enzym which last on average 9h in effectiveness. So your last meal your not digesting sugars and fats optimally

Personally I find it hard to have the discipline to do it all the time

Thot Leader

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I've been doing IF, eating between 12pm and 7pm. BP Coffee in the morning. Low carb, no sugar no grains. I find it makes a huge difference (I have problems with autoimmunity).

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
Please, no. Just tell us Double or Super.

superbiggulp.jpg

Really intrigued by the video in the original post, I'm trying it out. So far I can only keep it within a 12-hour window but if I understand correctly, this is still ok. I am not eating within 3-4 hours of bedtime however, and my workouts/runs are in the morning right away after I get up. Nothing but water in between.

It might be hard this summer where my usual habit is to end the night with a beer sitting out on the deck, whereas I would not have this problem in the winter. Mind you, that's something I have come to realise since trying to eat within this 12-hour window - a lot of that extraneous snacking and eating was just a habit.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I'm doing a 5 hour window (hungry as hell right now) based of a PM, just jumped on it because I need to lose a bunch of weight so anything is a better plan than what I've been doing.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
RexImperator said:
I’m doing an experiment eating only one meal a day. So far not too bad but I fell a bit tired at times and my hands get cold.

I'm gonna experiment with this next... I've cut it down to two meals in the afternoon and the only thing I drink in the morning is a cup of coffee. It was tough cutting out one of the three meals for like 4 or 5 days, now I dont really miss that third meal at all. Its crazy how my body adjust to not being as hungry as I was when I was eating all the time. I think its pretty clear I (an probably 90% of people) have been over eating pretty much all my life...

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Have you guys noticed any emotional changes when you limit your eating like this?

I noticed at first that I was a lot more irritable, and then I got used to it.

For me though, the irritability has been good because I am too nice to people, and have found myself being shorter and more honest when I am hungry, and, it turns out, people respond better to this than being the accommodating guy.

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
Fortis said:
Fasting is very easy. You just have to find out your optimum discipline technique. For me, I like to rationalize things.

Cr33pin, thanks for making this thread. I learned something new.

Not letting yourself get idle helps as well. I never notice if I am hungry or not until I stop working or whatever I am doing to keep my mind active.

Agreed, excellent thread, I have been doing IF on and off for about ten years and didn't realize it was an actual thing. Loads of good info here.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
Your correct on not being occupied. Boredom and idleness clearly become an excuse to eat or snack.

I've noticed a couple of other things: a general sense of heightened awareness (such as of my surroundings) but also a decreased patience to read and concentrate on something written for long.

The sense of hunger in the stomach is a very temporary thing. It comes around mealtimes when I would expect to eat but then it goes away.

I can see where going multiple days (like in that other thread) is feasible once you train yourself up to it.

I've downloaded the My Circadian Clock app to allow my data to be used whilst I switch to time restricted eating.

I have to continue with my usual habits for 2 weeks and log every meal, drink, sleep, workout and supplement in order to provide a baseline of data from which to track progress. I'm currently halfway through. After 10 days the app will start to provide feedback about my eating, sleeping and activity patterns then after the 2 weeks is up I will switch to a time restricted eating routine for a period of 14 weeks.

I'm not really sure what my goals are yet but I intend to track my body fat, overall weight, measurements and maybe blood glucose as I go but I've really just taken an interest in this and I'm curious to see what changes, if any, I notice in terms of general wellbeing, mood, focus, energy levels etc. Any positive physical improvements will be a bonus. The app is just a way of keeping me committed and accountable, and if the study gets a benefit from analysing my data then that's fine by me.

I'm also considering using a light box in the mornings whilst I do this, I already have one but I've never used it for a significant period of time. Maybe I'll add this halfway through the 14 weeks so I can get a feel for any additional benefits.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
I found another fasting app called “Zero” which I’m using.

Today I decided to take a break and eat breakfast and I almost had to force myself...I wasn’t super hungry. The body adapts.

Interesting tidbit: When fasting I have noticed that my sense of smell is heightened. Since noticing that I’ve read of others experiencing the same.

I think the next step will be to figure out when I can schedule a multiple day fast.