Time Restricted Eating

birthday cat

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I just started doing this. Thanks for the thread and the many informative posts.

I watched the video and read this thread but I still don't understand what the differences are between intermittent fasting and time restricted eating other than the need to coordinate your eating time with your circadian rhythm when you do time restricted eating. It seems that time restricted eating is a subset of intermittent fasting that has to be done during daylight hours. I'm a n00b to both of these concepts so please tell me if I'm getting this wrong.

Coffee

Sparrow
I tried this for a week and lost a lot of muscle and felt extremely sick (even while going to the gym on top of this). Maybe I wasn't getting enough calories?

Either way, I did go into it kind of half-assed. For those of you who had any success with it, how much did you eat during your window?

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
I started a 5 hour feeding window type of diet a week ago and here are some initial observations.

• Teeth have whitened considerably.
  • Greatly improved circulation and blood profile
  • Physical recovery improved due to lower systemic inflammation
  • Saving money because I have no impulse to buy snacks/fast food/shit, also because I have the patience now to wait until I get home to eat an enormous dinner.
  • less distracted because I don't have to stop to eat every three to four hours.
  • Drinking less, I've always been a bit of a drunk, but now I'll have three beers and have no desire to keep drinking.
  • More than ever now, I greatly enjoy my own cooking
  • saving time by cooking once a day and doing the dishes once a day
  • more time to sleep because I don't eat breakfast
  • somewhat more stable energy levels
  • getting leaner by the day on a 300-500 calorie deficit. In spite of the diet I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, which is the best kind of diet.

Depending on the results in a couple months I might make it a permanent lifestyle choice due to the convenience and noticeable health benefits.

sterling_archer

Hummingbird
I got a job in shift 8 to 4 and the pause you get for meal is around noon, or half past it. So I am jumping in on this. It will be hard at first, I know it, especially since these past months I got used to eating all day for my bulk, but I will persevere and adapt.

Qanon

Pigeon
Qanon said:
I'm on day 2 of IF. I'm looking to eat 1400 calorie a day for 14 days. I'm eating a meal at 3 pm and a meal 7 pm. I am 5'10 194. I lift weights, but want to cut weight. I'll let you guys know my progress. First day wasnt that bad. I already do Keto and I hear if you do Keto its a breeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj3bDblcPjk

I finished my 14 days. I lost 11 pounds and gained a little bit of muscle. I'm now at 183. I lifted yesterday and and enjoyed some Pizza Hut and the Smore Cookie.

I'm back on the diet today and will do it for another 2 weeks. I find the fasted state enjoyable. My body is fully adapted and does not mind waiting til 3 pm to eat the first meal. I'm sharper and more productive and enjoy the fasted state.

And after 7 pm meal, I feel full and I go to bed not hungry. It all comes down to calories in and calories out IMO, but this is the best cutting strategy I have ever tried and I wish I would have done this years ago.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
Qanon said:
Qanon said:
I'm on day 2 of IF. I'm looking to eat 1400 calorie a day for 14 days. I'm eating a meal at 3 pm and a meal 7 pm. I am 5'10 194. I lift weights, but want to cut weight. I'll let you guys know my progress. First day wasnt that bad. I already do Keto and I hear if you do Keto its a breeze.

I finished my 14 days. I lost 11 pounds and gained a little bit of muscle. I'm now at 183. I lifted yesterday and and enjoyed some Pizza Hut and the Smore Cookie.

I'm back on the diet today and will do it for another 2 weeks. I find the fasted state enjoyable. My body is fully adapted and does not mind waiting til 3 pm to eat the first meal. I'm sharper and more productive and enjoy the fasted state.

And after 7 pm meal, I feel full and I go to bed not hungry. It all comes down to calories in and calories out IMO, but this is the best cutting strategy I have ever tried and I wish I would have done this years ago.

Congrats on your results. What is the macro breakdown you are following and do you do carb refeeds on your gym days?

Qanon

Pigeon
Arado said:
Qanon said:
Qanon said:

Congrats on your results. What is the macro breakdown you are following and do you do carb refeeds on your gym days?

Thanks. Right now I heat high protein keto. Probably staying in 10-15 carbs a day range. The rest is protein and fat. I think the 80% fat diet is rubbish. It's def more of a protein diet but the only thing I track hard is the calories which are at about 1500 daily average.

When I hit 165 - 170 pounds, maintenance weight, I will begin doing carb refeeds 1-2 times a week. I will prob stick with Intermittent Fasting all the time, but will increase calories to maintenance calories (2200-2400 daily average) and do refeed on lifting days. I lift twice a week. A back and chest day, and a shoulder,arms day. Instead of leg day, I prefer to sprint 3-4 x a week.

Chase

Robin
I'd be interested in your experience with time-restricted eating and building muscle. Do you force yourself to eat your 3000+ kcal or whatever amount you need to be in a slight caloric surplus in 1-2 meals within the short feeding window? I find that challenging.

Fortis

Crow
Gold Member
Has anyone been keeping track of body fat and stuff as they do it? Like calipers and stuff?

I'm very curious about how much muscle building is happening and how much of it is just fat and water melting off.

On IF I'm a lot sharper looking in terms of lines, but I'm not actually bigger, I'm just a little more "dry" since I'm not getting all that water off the food.

I want to believe it's got serious musclebuilding potential but still a bit skeptical. Love IF for fat loss and lifestyle otherwise, though.

sterling_archer

Hummingbird
Fortis said:
Has anyone been keeping track of body fat and stuff as they do it? Like calipers and stuff?

I'm very curious about how much muscle building is happening and how much of it is just fat and water melting off.

On IF I'm a lot sharper looking in terms of lines, but I'm not actually bigger, I'm just a little more "dry" since I'm not getting all that water off the food.

I want to believe it's got serious musclebuilding potential but still a bit skeptical. Love IF for fat loss and lifestyle otherwise, though.

Fortis I posted this in Lifters Lounge: https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-38933-post-1801894.html#pid1801894
Link to the calculator: http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
It is the most accurate (after DEXA) and inexpensive method. Calipers are difficult to use and can be off by several % depending on how you pinch yourself. It is funny but I got the same measurement with calipers and calculator. Probably managed to pinch it right on the first try.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I started doing this some years ago when my dad came down with diabetes. He is a native American Indian and a lot of their bodies cannot break down the sugars from grains and especially processed foods and sugars. It scared the hell out of me, and having a similar Indian body type I was determined to see if anyone was out there who could give some insight.

Dr. Jay Wortman was the man who turned my on to this. He is an aboriginal doctor who has spend a good part of his life trying to reverse the devastating effects of sugars on the Indian body. His was a traditional diet, which meant a lot fasting and a lot of meat and foraged foods. For the first years I never fasted, as I had myself convinced I needed the calories for lifting gains. But I did follow his Indian diet and the results were what I expected. Lower bad cholesterol, better blood pressure, less bad fat and the early warning signs of diabetes never materialized.

A few years ago my son was born and my life went up to 11. My already busy schedule was now even busier. One of the first casualties to my schedule was the gym. I justified it by telling myself I don't have a sedentary life, so I am only really losing out on the Iron Therapy.

I revisited the Doctor and we decided to add in the fasting with butter coffee in the mornings. I don't remember the transition too well, but I think I adapted with no issues. I eat from noon and I am done by 8pm, 7pm most days. Eating from 2pm and done at 7pm is common as well. But within the 8 hour window. I do eat a bit of carbs, mostly in the form of Japanese rice and noodles, pizza with the boy and the odd hamburger. I cheat a bit more than I would like, but sharing a burger with my son down at the pub is worth it.

I have certainly gained some fat, but my weight is steady at 194. I am looking at finally getting some gym time back and hope the weight stays at 194 while turning the extra into muscle.

Great diet, probably 7 years for me. No chance in hell of going back.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
Fortis said:

I use the accumeasure calipers. They're accurate enough and fast once you learn how to use it.

accufitness-body-measurement-accufitness-fitness-3000-body-fat-caliper-7794554566_x700.jpg

I believe it's called the "Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat Caliper Measurement Tool". Big name for a cheap tool, they run you about seven bucks on Amazon.

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
TigerMandingo said:
Hannibal said:
I started a 5 hour feeding window type of diet a week ago and here are some initial observations.

Just out of curiosity, at what time do you start the 5 hours window?

On a normal day when I don't have anything going on and I'm with family, I'll break my fast at noon and end it at 5 (on a work day it's 11:15 to 4:15). That way you get lunch and dinner with all the normal people and you can still have coffee in the morning without advertising that you're on a diet or anything. You can also eat tremendous amounts of food in a sitting and make all the fat people jealous of your "fast metabolism".

Davis

Pigeon
Hannibal said:
Fortis said:

I use the accumeasure calipers. They're accurate enough and fast once you learn how to use it.

accufitness-body-measurement-accufitness-fitness-3000-body-fat-caliper-7794554566_x700.jpg

I believe it's called the "Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat Caliper Measurement Tool". Big name for a cheap tool, they run you about seven bucks on Amazon.

Thanks for this great thread, Cr33pin!

I have been doing time-restricted eating (mostly) for about 2 years and counting. What I have been doing is skipping breakfast and having my first proper meal at around lunchtime. I do have quite a few cheat days where I have this constant nagging hungry feeling at night, so it's something to work on.

I have always been somewhat lean, what I have noticed is that overall my weight has gone done, and there's less belly fat around my waist.

When I was working out, I wanted to get a fat-measuring weighting machine, but the good ones seem to be rather expensive, and the next best alternatives would be a set of calipers. Think it will be a good time to start now.

I do not do workout regularly, although I do cardio exercises weekly, but am also skeptical about the muscle building effects of time-restricted eating, without incorporating muscle-building exercises.

open source

Robin
Gold Member
Been doing intermittent fasting for years now with just coffee in the morning.

It's been great to maintain weight/physique + the mental clarity in the morning, but not so great when actually trying to gain some weight.