Time Restricted Eating

kel

Ostrich
Constant access to abundant calories is the "gimmick".

The idea that if you don't eat calories every three hours you'll lose muscle is the "gimmick".

Even the idea that exercise will make you lose (meaningful) weight is a "gimmick". Exercise is great, crucial, but it's not for losing weight, it's for making you stronger.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Constant access to abundant calories is the "gimmick".

The idea that if you don't eat calories every three hours you'll lose muscle is the "gimmick".

Even the idea that exercise will make you lose (meaningful) weight is a "gimmick". Exercise is great, crucial, but it's not for losing weight, it's for making you stronger.

Agree with that, definitely don’t need to constantly eat to gain or retain muscle, you should only eat when hungry. We’re not bodybuilders chasing plastic trophies that stuff only applies to them or maybe some skinny runt who needs the weight.

I also agree that excercise doesn’t necessarily help you lose weight, in does in theory but the calories burned are negligible in comparison to the calories in an actual meal, but that’s a whole other long topic. But you definitely need to exercise if you want your body to look good, dieting alone won’t make your body look better and in many cases will make it look worse. Looking smaller isn’t necessarily attractive unless you’re just obese, we’re not trying to fit into our prom dresses here!

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Time Restricted Eating.....as in just eating less and missing meals? Yes of course you will lose weight, you ate less food that day, but you will also lose muscle and your body might not necessarily look better for it....in fact I would lean towards it definitely won't.

It's like the old wives tale of "don't eat at night and you will lose weight", or after a specific time. You lost weight because you skipped a meal not because eating at certain times makes a difference, you're not eating more in your other meals to compensate you just ate less overall that day.....

There is no cheat code to losing weight you simply need to eat less calories than you burn and if you want your body to also look good you need to do some type of resistance training.

A relative of mine who is a pretty big guy, 6'4" and overweight....not overall fatass and certainly not obese but definitely has a bunch of extra weight especially baby fat. He decided to just eat less, not eat at night blah blah blah, dieted like a girl. Well he lost a bunch of weight but he looks like stacked garbage, really narrow shoulders now no arms no definition of any kind in his body just stacked baby fat. Yea he lost a lot of weight but he didn't work out to go with it and for some reason he has convinced himself that it's some great thing, he looks like he did when he was 12 it's really goofy looking.

I feel like if you need a gimmick to lose weight it's probably not going to work out for you in the end, nothing beats caloric deficit and exercise nothing.....nothing, anything else isn't really sustainable it's just a yo-yo and you're worse off for it in the end.
Bro did you even watch the video? This isn't about "losing weight" there are multiple benefits to time restricted eating and intermittent fasting. I feel like you just browsed over the title of the thread an then through together your misinformed soliloquy.... which is pretty irrelevant.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Bro did you even watch the video? This isn't about "losing weight" there are multiple benefits to time restricted eating and intermittent fasting. I feel like you just browsed over the title of the thread an then through together your misinformed soliloquy.... which is pretty irrelevant.

No I didn’t go through the thread I was just trying to be helpful and took the topic at face value, I wasn’t looking to put anyone down just adding info. That being said even without watching the video, I will tomorrow in my office, I would strongly caution against taking a made for clicks video to heart over anything to do with health.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
No I didn’t go through the thread I was just trying to be helpful and took the topic at face value, I wasn’t looking to put anyone down just adding info. That being said even without watching the video, I will tomorrow in my office, I would strongly caution against taking a made for clicks video to heart over anything to do with health.

You seem like your heart is the right place..... not sure where your brain went though

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Please excuse me, what page would I find the video on?
You seem like your heart is the right place..... not sure where your brain went though

Is there truly a reason to be personally offended here? Even insulting?

I have a lot knowledge, first hand and researched, in regards to these topics if I can ever help someone here I will always try to. This board has done a lot for me over the years.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member

Is there truly a reason to be personally offended here? Even insulting?

I have a lot knowledge, first hand and researched, in regards to these topics if I can ever help someone here I will always try to. This board has done a lot for me over the years.
Again I think your heart is in the right place. However to discourage people to take health advice from a HIGHLY esteemed Doctor who is on a podcast sharing her knowledge...... on a topic that your expertise seems to be on reading the headline of a thread..... its a bit offensive

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
One page back.

@Cr33pin can you break down what this is exactly? Looking to adopt a new schedule if it is a net positive. Currently eating first meal at noon, producing brain fog around 10am, which clears after the meal. Thinking about switching it up, so alternatives like what you mentioned could be nice. Not looking to watch the video though.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Again I think your heart is in the right place. However to discourage people to take health advice from a HIGHLY esteemed Doctor who is on a podcast sharing her knowledge...... on a topic that your expertise seems to be on reading the headline of a thread..... its a bit offensive

I will always discourage taking advice of someone who promotes that advice for monetary gain, especially when it comes to health. When it comes to topics like this “experts” generally say things just for the sake of standing out from the crowd.

Again I don’t quite understand why you are personally offended, a real conversation on the topic might be quite productive and helpful but I will leave it be I’m not interested in arguing just trying to help.

Oh and also thank you for recognizing my intentions as good I appreciate that!

Last edited:
I will always discourage taking advice of someone who promotes that advice for monetary gain, especially when it comes to health. When it comes to topics like this “experts” generally say things just for the sake of standing out from the crowd.

Again I don’t quite understand why you are personally offended, a real conversation on the topic might be quite productive and helpful but I will leave it be I’m not interested in arguing just trying to help.

Oh and also thank you for recognizing my intentions as good I appreciate that!

You are right about not taking advice from people that promote info for monetary gain, but you are wrong about saying that the video about Ronda Patrick is for monetary gain. It isn't. It is part of an interview.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
You are right about not taking advice from people that promote info for monetary gain, but you are wrong about saying that the video about Ronda Patrick is for monetary gain. It isn't. It is part of an interview.

If it’s genuinely not for self promotion then I definitely retract anything I said disparaging the video but my original comments were not in regards to the video I was not even aware of a video.

I just don’t see the idea of not eating to be beneficial to your health, unless of course it’s simply to lose weight. Mind you I’m obviously not talking about pounding double cheeseburgers but if you’re hungry I don’t think it would be beneficial to not eat vs eating a lean meat and vegetables, some hard boiled eggs, mixed nuts or as I do every morning just stuff a bunch of power greens in my mouth. So when I originally commented it was in regards to losing weight as I assumed that was the benefit of TRE, if someone wants to explain in their own words, not parroted from a video, as to why depriving your body of nutrients when you are hungry has health benefits that sounds like a good productive discussion.

It'll be 3 years on TRE for me come June. Still consistently 8-10lbs less than I was before. Weekdays I'm on about a 10-11 hour eating window. Weekends I have a drink or 2 later at night but I also have breakfast much later so it almost balances out.

Team TRE for life.