Tips to Conceive a Son

Yes, yes, I know they may be old wives tales but I’d like some of your ideas on how to increase my odds of conceiving a boy. We love any baby God blesses us with but would love to have a son too.

I’ve heard of intercourse in the days before ovulation. Any other advice? Be it proven or silly. TIA

Ha! I have one boy and three girls. I don't think I can help you there, fam.

No but in all seriousness, I have no idea. I don't know whether I did anything different with my son.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Yes, yes, I know they may be old wives tales but I’d like some of your ideas on how to increase my odds of conceiving a boy. We love any baby God blesses us with but would love to have a son too.

I’ve heard of intercourse in the days before ovulation. Any other advice? Be it proven or silly. TIA

The best chance is to find a man from a family that traditionally have had a lot of male members/births. If that is not the case for your own family, you will increase the odds at least. There are no other ways that I can see that would have an effect, like dietary inputs and season differences etc. This is how it works basically;
  1. Suppose male births are less common than female.
  2. A newborn male then has better mating prospects than a newborn female, and therefore can expect to have more offspring.
  3. Therefore parents genetically disposed to produce males tend to have more than average numbers of grandchildren born to them.
  4. Therefore the genes for male-producing tendencies spread, and male births become more common.
  5. As the 1:1 sex ratio is approached, the advantage associated with producing males dies away.
  6. The same reasoning holds if females are substituted for males throughout. Therefore 1:1 is the equilibrium ratio.

The best chance is to find a man from a family that traditionally have had a lot of male members/births. If that is not the case for your own family, you will increase the odds at least. There are no other ways that I can see that would have an effect, like dietary inputs and season differences etc. This is how it works basically;
  1. Suppose male births are less common than female.
  2. A newborn male then has better mating prospects than a newborn female, and therefore can expect to have more offspring.
  3. Therefore parents genetically disposed to produce males tend to have more than average numbers of grandchildren born to them.
  4. Therefore the genes for male-producing tendencies spread, and male births become more common.
  5. As the 1:1 sex ratio is approached, the advantage associated with producing males dies away.
  6. The same reasoning holds if females are substituted for males throughout. Therefore 1:1 is the equilibrium ratio.
I gotta say, this makes sense. My first two daughters are with my ex-husband. My second set of kiddos (one son, one daughter) are with my husband. He was one of five boys. Out of the five boys, they've had ten grandchildren. My daughter is the ONLY granddaughter. So 14 of their 15 progeny have been male.

dragonfire00

Sparrow
I think I got this one! Lol please let me know how it turns out because it worked for us but we only have one of each.

So scientifically male sperm are faster, but die quicker and female sperm are slow and steady win the race.

SO in order to have a male I'd recommend foregoing sex until you're ovulating. You want to have the sperm reach your egg ASAP. If you have sex a bunch too soon before ovulating sperm lasts up to 5 days but by the 5th day the male ones have died. We used ovulating strips (you pee on like pregnancy tests) and when it was positive (rise of luteinizing hormone LH is what shows you should be ovulating) that's when we tried. Obviously also make sure there's no sexual actions/masturbation of any kind for a couple weeks beforehand. Do a couple days in a row just to make sure and then stop. It could take a few months to happen but that should hopefully work!

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I think I got this one! Lol please let me know how it turns out because it worked for us but we only have one of each.

So scientifically male sperm are faster, but die quicker and female sperm are slow and steady win the race.

SO in order to have a male I'd recommend foregoing sex until you're ovulating. You want to have the sperm reach your egg ASAP. If you have sex a bunch too soon before ovulating sperm lasts up to 5 days but by the 5th day the male ones have died. We used ovulating strips (you pee on like pregnancy tests) and when it was positive (rise of luteinizing hormone LH is what shows you should be ovulating) that's when we tried. Obviously also make sure there's no sexual actions/masturbation of any kind for a couple weeks beforehand. Do a couple days in a row just to make sure and then stop. It could take a few months to happen but that should hopefully work!

Wow that’s actually a really interesting theory!

Don't they have some procedure or something that you can do to isolate the y chromosome carrying sperm, its called sperm separation. Don't know the price but if you're really set on having a boy I'd look into that. After a quick google search CNN says it only costs 400-600 dollars, you'll spend a lot more than that on your child.

bmw633

Woodpecker

Do you wear boxers or briefs? Depends......

Here is an article about sperm sorting:

Knew a man with 8 daughters no sons. Odds are 1 in 256 of that happening, from what I calculated.

In the years that the World Cup is played, more boys are conceived. Google it.

Aloha!
Interesting!

I read once that after big wars in the resulting baby boom more boys are conceived. Nature rebalancing. Seems providential. Not sure about the divine providence in World Cup years though...

Don't they have some procedure or something that you can do to isolate the y chromosome carrying sperm, its called sperm separation. Don't know the price but if you're really set on having a boy I'd look into that. After a quick google search CNN says it only costs 400-600 dollars, you'll spend a lot more than that on your child.
Not interested in going that far or the even what the Christian perspective is on something like that. I’d prefer to up my odds naturally while letting Gods will be done. Seems like I might just need to pray on it.

The best-sounding advice I've come across seems to suggest a correlation between bodily acidity and gender selection. I've not read terribly in-depth, but I seem to recall something about horse breeders manipulating acidity/alkalinity of diet (adding vinegar to water, etc.) to try to encourage an environment that favors one gender vs. the other. I don't remember if it's the female's diet or the male's (or both) that is important. There's a great deal of speculation/belief that relative acidity/alkalinity makes a difference for humans as well. No idea if it actually works, but there seems to be a little merit to the idea at least.

Just searching for "gender PH" will pop up a bunch of results in that vein.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member

This was my understanding as well. My mother in law also said deep penetration for ejaculation also helps the lazy boy sperm reach their goal.

Also eating red meat for boy, and sea food for girls.

Starlight

Robin
What a lot of posters here are advising is called the Shettles Method which is the theory that x sperm are heavier than y sperm. (X sperm carry more dna material and are slightly heavier than y sperm).

Unfortunately, when studied in humans, there wasn’t (statistically noticeable) any difference in sex conception rates across any regular fertile time frame. The rate was still 1:1; boy:girl ratio. (There is a legitimate study for this, I’ll link it when I find it again.)

There is the lab sperm sorting method but... why? Would someone hate a daughter so much they would spend money on baring only a son?

Last edited:

Horus

Ostrich
Gold Member
There was an anatomist in France in the 18th century who advised the surgical removal of the left testicle to increase the chances of concieving a boy. Perhaps it's worth a shot?

Seriously though, in reality there's not a lot that can be done to reliably and significantly affect the odds of having a boy, short of sex selective abortion as is widely practiced in China. The method mentioned above might make a small difference, as do certain environmental factors which cause small but statistically relevant changes to ratios of girls to boys being born. But not to such a degree that it's worth going to the effort of trying to change the outcome. If it were me, I would let God decide.

username

Ostrich
Gold Member

We followed this exactly a few months ago. Ovulation test strips and only around that day. Conceived a boy that's due in 1 month.