TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
Saweeep said:
Krav Maga in the UK is similar to Americanised Karate for the over 40s.

i.e. complete bullshit

Ouch that stinks. If that is the case, he might have to look at something else and put together a system that works for him.

KM in the US can be hit or miss. Plenty of trash gyms and some with those mixed in with Crossfit stuff with women for teachers. Basically cardio kickboxing with mental retardation and steroid taking women with yoga pants mixed in. Then you have the really good ones that have gun training mixed in with military style drills. Not in every state obviously, but at least it is an option for us.

He better try something other than plain ol boxing though. The UK is no joke. Whites, Blacks, Pakis, every group has tough as nails youth that can and will stab someone. Chavs in groups/packs too. You guys even have the occasional gun toting criminal. EE gangsters I almost forgot about that too.

No place is perfect to live in from a safety perspective, but you have to find solutions that make sense for your environment. Texas has everything from drunk highschoolers in the back of a pickup truck to MS13 face tatted Satan spawn that will shoot you in broad daylight, wait for the police and shoot them too.

It is a big tactical mistake to prepare for one threat and none of the others. Police officers are not there to save lives, yet alone yours. They are there to maintain order, governance, and collect revenue. The days of learning sai daggers, nunchuks, and swords for self defense, and get away with it, has come and gone. You could say the same about sport styles. It's ok to learn that kind of stuff for fun and fitness, but the basics for all threats must be covered first.
 

Parzival

Ostrich
With all the migrants in Germany we have a way more knife attacks now. They pass laws that it's more and more illegal to carry certain knives. When I was a teen they already ban butterfly knives and some other stuff. Also for a gas gun you need a license.
What the politicians don't get its that those vermin on the streets don't care at all. Situation awareness is the first and most important tool of self defence. To see what is going around you matters a way more then have all skills in the world. I want to choose when I use my skills, I want to act and not react. Of course its not always possible but behaviour patterns matter a lot. How do you walk? Where to you go? Whats your state of mind? Are you sober or drunk / on drugs? Go to the nightlife a lot? Hand around in a strange environment? Do you have temper issues? Do you know your body language? Do you have emotional control over your reaction / language in a stressful situation? Big mouth guy?
Do you have the mindset to turn on survival / aggression mode in your mind simple? I seen it a lot in sparring and in some fights. When someone get hit a lot of people break. And in a street fight with a drunk, when they miss a few times they are out of breath.
The most dangerous situation are here, are the illegals, refugees, migrants, vermin, scum or however you want to call them. They pack up, they use knives.

Next to this is the mindset, are you willing to go all in after the shock of the impact? I have to say when I do sparring I always hold back, mostly more then I should because I have no intention to harm anybody. When I got into trouble in the past I used fast force and aggression with the skills I have. I'm glad that my last confrontations are more then a decade ago.
And I know the way how I appear, what I send out is not a victim nor an aggressor vibe.

I get myself a book about vital points. TravelerKai mention Dim Mak a few times, so I get into it a little deeper. Always was curios about pressure points and after some Karate Training in Okinawa I could feel how it works.

[attachment=40584]
 

Attachments

  • dimmak.jpg
    dimmak.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 594
Parzival said:
With all the migrants in Germany we have a way more knife attacks now. They pass laws that it's more and more illegal to carry certain knives. When I was a teen they already ban butterfly knives and some other stuff. Also for a gas gun you need a license.
What the politicians don't get its that those vermin on the streets don't care at all. Situation awareness is the first and most important tool of self defence. To see what is going around you matters a way more then have all skills in the world. I want to choose when I use my skills, I want to act and not react. Of course its not always possible but behaviour patterns matter a lot. How do you walk? Where to you go? Whats your state of mind? Are you sober or drunk / on drugs? Go to the nightlife a lot? Hand around in a strange environment? Do you have temper issues? Do you know your body language? Do you have emotional control over your reaction / language in a stressful situation? Big mouth guy?
Do you have the mindset to turn on survival / aggression mode in your mind simple? I seen it a lot in sparring and in some fights. When someone get hit a lot of people break. And in a street fight with a drunk, when they miss a few times they are out of breath.
The most dangerous situation are here, are the illegals, refugees, migrants, vermin, scum or however you want to call them. They pack up, they use knives.

Next to this is the mindset, are you willing to go all in after the shock of the impact? I have to say when I do sparring I always hold back, mostly more then I should because I have no intention to harm anybody. When I got into trouble in the past I used fast force and aggression with the skills I have. I'm glad that my last confrontations are more then a decade ago.
And I know the way how I appear, what I send out is not a victim nor an aggressor vibe.

I get myself a book about vital points. TravelerKai mention Dim Mak a few times, so I get into it a little deeper. Always was curios about pressure points and after some Karate Training in Okinawa I could feel how it works.

Do not engage someone with a knife, ever.

 

ChicagoFire

Kingfisher
The world is getting more dangerous than ever, it's practical to learn about self defense and first aid. I personally have a beginner's level of BJJ and boxing and how to administer basic first aid. Just found this on udemy:

https://www.udemy.com/user/chrispizzo/

Guy has close quarters training videos and his writing is pretty over the top. Anybody take them? I'm open minded to learning this stuff and like TravelerKai said close quarters combat isn't exactly something a civilian can easily obtain. If he even has 80/20 principles that would be more than enough.
 
Yeah, TK makes a pretty good point about the best self-defense: GTFO of a dangerous situation.

On that note, has anybody here ever had to run for their life? Can you describe how that feel? Would running as fast and as smart as you can be enough to always get out of a situation against bigger foe intent on killing you? With a gun? Without a gun?

I do sprints a lot but you don't know just how fast/how long you can run when you are running for your life. The adrenaline/survival instinct can roid up your body to unimaginable level.
 

SteezeySteve

Woodpecker
Dude i've jumped an 8 foot barbwire fence (Into the yard then out of it) to get away from someone one time and didn't feel shit despite barbwire slicing up my hands and tearing through my shorts.(Funny Highlight,but i've also had to get away and not jump any fences)

All you feel is utter fear and chaos thrown into your legs and thank god that you train once you get the pace. That 30 second atp fueled initial jump you get propels you twice as far as it normally would and the sustained run afterwards is only marginally slower than you'd normally experience. You have superhuman unlimited endurance to run extremely fast for longer periods of time and don't feel fatigued until you know you're safe.

Its like playing a game of man hunt while doing a really weird hill sprint that doesn't slow you down or make you tired......you won't slip and if you do you'll get up in time without stopping.
 
^yeah, ive heard very similar stories. Just go to show when its fight or flight, always choose flight. Discretion is the better part of valor. The only thing that might get hurt is your ego, not your life.

Having said that I live in Paris, says Im out in the street packed full of people cant even move my arms (welcome to Chatelet) and I heard Allahuh. Is the most obvious thing the best, aka running for my life barging people out of the way and hopping into the nearest cover running with my heads down? Does it change if the guy got a gun? When does going to ground and keeping your head down and dont fucking move applies?

Things like this should be taught more in self defense class rather than secret one - punch techniques.
 

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
ChicagoFire said:
The world is getting more dangerous than ever, it's practical to learn about self defense and first aid. I personally have a beginner's level of BJJ and boxing and how to administer basic first aid. Just found this on udemy:

https://www.udemy.com/user/chrispizzo/

Guy has close quarters training videos and his writing is pretty over the top. Anybody take them? I'm open minded to learning this stuff and like TravelerKai said close quarters combat isn't exactly something a civilian can easily obtain. If he even has 80/20 principles that would be more than enough.

Hang on brother. CQC training is very possible to get in the USA. Maybe not in Chicago but, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, etc etc. Pretty much every southern state and many Midwestern states.

The confusion is sometimes that different training schools call it different things. Some call it room clearing, active shooter, advanced fighting gun, swat, advanced self defense, and all kinds of other training names. Would take me all day to list all the ones I have seen or heard about. Some Krav Maga groups do it too. Some are Systema based. All schools with operator training is CQC. Some are only open to law enforcement and military personnel some are not.

The only way to know for sure is to call them and ask them about the training and all the classes and curriculum. If they teach you gun fighting with martial arts together that is a sweet spot often times. Nothing covers your ass like a class on gun fights behind cars, concealment and cover, and then sweeping a house. If someone in melee range jumps on you they should have techniques to cover the melee aspect. If not keep digging or modify with seminars that do.

For the Europeans and other non Americans, if this sounds insane, we can carry handguns, knives, and even a AR rifle loaded between the front seats or trunk. All legal and no problem in many states.
 
Best form of self defense is a tidy 300 metre dash.

If you do have to throw down, learn how to throw powerful elbows and knees. Muay Thai basically. Kicks and punches aren't ideal in a street fight for a number of reasons.

With all these 3rd world shit stains carrying knives though, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to learn one of the Filipino martial arts as that's what they specialize in.

Swear to the gods, if I hear about anymore knife attacks in Europe I'm gonna go full crusader. Armor, longsword, and all.
 

Parzival

Ostrich
TravelerKai said:
For the Europeans and other non Americans, if this sounds insane, we can carry handguns, knives, and even a AR rifle loaded between the front seats or trunk. All legal and no problem in many states.

I support the right for own guns but I'm still glad that we don't have the danger you have here in the US. When you read about some guy get killed by a knife or beaten to death its all over the national news. With the sexual assaults and rapes it get a little lower but still a hot topic.
In Berlin there are sometimes killings in the criminal milieu, Arab clans, Bikers. Also not all issues are migrant related, drunk Germans can be an issue as well and at Monday you can read the police reports about the weekend. There are regular brawls, sometimes some people get heavy injuries.

Now since I'm back in Germany its ridiculous what you have to do these days to get a gun license. You have to be accepted in a shooting club, then be one year a member till you can apply for a gun license. Armed robberies or armed burglaries are not very common, burglaries so far on a high level. For general fights, when you are not in the nightlife nor a woman jogging somewhere alone the risk to encounter violence is still very low.
 

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member

Wooo I had to share this video for sure. I'm not a Joe Rogan fan but he and I agree on this sooo much. Drives me fucking insane as an instructor and I have personally had heated situations about this very fucking thing.

Guys, if you go to a school and they do not drill you enough until you could do something perfectly blindfolded, either find a better school or drill yourself. Don't fall into the trap of wanting to spar or roll for fun and never master the techniques.

I mean, I get it. Nobody wants to punch the mitts for hours or the bag. Nobody wants to apply a boring armbar 100 times in one day. I get it. We all do. But all this crap where guys come in and want to spar more than half a practice or roll on the mat with each other truly kills the sport.

Don't believe me? Think about it. How many BJJ places can you go visit and see the same dumb bad habits? Joe Rogan sees the same shit I used to see when I go visit BJJ places too. 2 examples, ok let's wrestle. Are you serious?

Look at the LACK of competent BJJ Black Belts in the UFC right now. Are there any legit dude that are rolling dudes up with stunning JiuJitsu? There are no Nogs, No Bravos, No BJ Penns in the pros and it's not the entire fault of UFC paying bonuses for knockout of the night. They do have a submission of the night bonus too. Believe it or not, but if you are too much of a ground fighter, they do not give you less fights compared to strikers.

It's just shitty BJJ culture. A bad one.

I might be harping on BJJ mostly, but kickboxing honestly isn't any better. I see all kinds of bad fundamentals.
 

SteezeySteve

Woodpecker
I agree Kai,but things are the way they are. wrestling rooms are filled with angry highschool kids beating the shit out of each other 5 days a week for months so that they can beat the sit out of kids on the weekends. No one wants to lose and everyone wants to win. It takes a certain level of toughness and discipline fostered in a competitive environment to get someone to drill a double leg every single day for 30 minutes (especially when your body will hurt in the SAME exact spot you land when you are on the receiving end of the take down multiple times). In a wrestling room your just a fucking pussy and don't belong on the team if thats an issue.

In bjj culture rolling isn't as hard on the body as explosive scrambles and take downs found in wrestling so you can get away with sparring more. Also wrestling is a seasonal sport where you compete even if injured as long as you don't have a broken bone or large tear in a tendon. Drillers may be killers,but I think part of placing in the state level is just surviving to place without an injury taking you out (Injury rates in wrestling increase with as competitors become more skilled). You are less likely to get injured while drilling(on the opposite hand I think long term drilling of the same few moves actually promotes injury in long term wrestlers) than going live.

Bjj is supposed to be fun and gyms need to profit. Most people who train aren't even going to compete at all. Normal dudes who want to stay in shape and train are most practitioners. Also the roots of bjj just seems to have more in common with surf culture than spartan culture(hence all the places with good waves being loaded with bjj schools)...non of the gracies are angry farm boys from Iowa....they're beach cats from brazil.


Also right now in mma I think the new development is movement complexity and diversity promoted by the likes of ido portal. And I may be uneducated on this matter so call me out if wrong but even bravo seems to be more into developing new techniques and methods (I.e. rubber guard ) than encouraging people to drill intensively.

Now as far as pro fighters go that makes sense. If you want to be the best and compete you should have no problem drilling for as long as it takes in order to make sure when you do 'x' on a fighter that knows its coming and prepared for it in his camp it still works.
 
A BJJ blackbelt is a BJJ blackbelt. The reason why you don't see that many submission specialists in the UFC anymore is it's a borderline useless martial art against a good wrestler (aka...the art of not getting taken down).

Demian Maia, who was an ADCC champion, was like 0/28 for takedown attempts in his last 3 fights. All against wrestlers.

I think the results in the UFC over the last few years has revealed a misplaced reverence for eastern martial arts. Wrestling is actually far older than any of them, and combined with some decent boxing (also older than any of them) spits out UFC champions all day.

Having said all that, I think Brian Ortega does have some slick jujitsu and is entertaining to watch which is rare for a BJJ guy.
 
Dalaran1991 said:
On boxing for self defense, as Ive mentioned my roomate is a skilled boxer. In light sparring against bigger opponent he said there's very little he can do unless the guy is a total noob aka not keeping his hands up.
Plus, we discuss this often and we all come into the conclusion that boxing/striking is next to useless if you got a bigger guy flatly charges/bulldoze you.

Absolute rubbish. I've done boxing and muay thai. I'm not a golden glove or lumpinee champ. But there's half a dozen ways I could knockout a guy 50 pounds heavier than me (if untrained or novice). Bulk does not protect the chin. And if I wanted to be cruel, I could do much worse than knock the guy out.

Last time in HEMA when I didnt get out of the way of a charging juggernaut I got fucking blasted off my feet and end up at the other side of the room. If I was really really good at Judo/Aikido I MIGHT have a slight chance of throwing him using his own momentum, but if I only know a striking art I'll just get flattened. Not sure just how good you gotta be to get to that level though.

Its called foot work man, and boxers have the best. If you know muay thai, it's even easier. Last time I had a charging bull come at me, I did a full power teep to his knee cap. Really the bigger they are the better in this scenario.

Im the smallest in my aikido class and also one of the senior students. Every now and then Ill run into some newbies who are bigger and have less experience with combat, but are aggressive. Its almost impossible to perform a techniques on them without going for the occasional punch.

And this is why people dont take akido seriously.

If you took a middleweight (160lbs) who had placed in some regional golden gloves tourneys, and took him to a dive bar and said "find the biggest guy in here and pick a fight".

The big guy would swing and hit air for a couple minutes, rapidly gas out, and the middleweight would dance around toying with him for a bit. Then boom, counter and KO/TKO him. Every time.

Boxing is severely underrated for self defense. The foot work, speed, ability to find range, and sheer power they can generate via their hands would make even a middling boxer seem superhuman compared to a civilian.
 
Trumpian said:
If you took a middleweight (160lbs) who had placed in some regional golden gloves tourneys, and took him to a dive bar and said "find the biggest guy in here and pick a fight".

The big guy would swing and hit air for a couple minutes, rapidly gas out, and the middleweight would dance around toying with him for a bit. Then boom, counter and KO/TKO him. Every time.

Boxing is severely underrated for self defense. The foot work, speed, ability to find range, and sheer power they can generate via their hands would make even a middling boxer seem superhuman compared to a civilian.

Im not an expert so I wont comment on the rest of the post, TK already did this. Im just commenting on this scenario because it's so ridiculous.

Find the biggest guy in the room and pick a fight with him? I know this is rhetoric, but really? Idon't even know where to start here.

That guy could have a knife, or a gun.
That guy could also be a fighter.
Instead of swinging at you, he grabs you, which actually happens very often in brawl. Now I know you can throw elbows and knees, but so can the other guy.
He grabs you, and he knows BJJ/wrestling.
He swing/throws bottle at you. Bigger guy + improvise weapons?
He is with a bunch of friends.

My 2cents.
 
It's a hypothetical, and I assumed by the context that anybody would know we're talking about an unarmed brawl as you'd see in many bars stateside. But I grant you it wouldn't be a wise move.

If the big guy knows wrestling/BJJ, that's a different scenario. Still, if he's never done any striking he'll probably get knocked the fuck out. Also not like boxers/Thai boxers aren't used to getting grabbed. They're very strong in the clinch. Would give even a good wrestler problems there.
 

TravelerKai

Peacock
Gold Member
SteezeySteve said:
I agree Kai,but things are the way they are. wrestling rooms are filled with angry highschool kids beating the shit out of each other 5 days a week for months so that they can beat the sit out of kids on the weekends. No one wants to lose and everyone wants to win. It takes a certain level of toughness and discipline fostered in a competitive environment to get someone to drill a double leg every single day for 30 minutes (especially when your body will hurt in the SAME exact spot you land when you are on the receiving end of the take down multiple times). In a wrestling room your just a fucking pussy and don't belong on the team if thats an issue.

In bjj culture rolling isn't as hard on the body as explosive scrambles and take downs found in wrestling so you can get away with sparring more. Also wrestling is a seasonal sport where you compete even if injured as long as you don't have a broken bone or large tear in a tendon. Drillers may be killers,but I think part of placing in the state level is just surviving to place without an injury taking you out (Injury rates in wrestling increase with as competitors become more skilled). You are less likely to get injured while drilling(on the opposite hand I think long term drilling of the same few moves actually promotes injury in long term wrestlers) than going live.

Bjj is supposed to be fun and gyms need to profit. Most people who train aren't even going to compete at all. Normal dudes who want to stay in shape and train are most practitioners. Also the roots of bjj just seems to have more in common with surf culture than spartan culture(hence all the places with good waves being loaded with bjj schools)...non of the gracies are angry farm boys from Iowa....they're beach cats from brazil.


Also right now in mma I think the new development is movement complexity and diversity promoted by the likes of ido portal. And I may be uneducated on this matter so call me out if wrong but even bravo seems to be more into developing new techniques and methods (I.e. rubber guard ) than encouraging people to drill intensively.

Now as far as pro fighters go that makes sense. If you want to be the best and compete you should have no problem drilling for as long as it takes in order to make sure when you do 'x' on a fighter that knows its coming and prepared for it in his camp it still works.

Depends on where you train at. Some BJJ schools have pros, amateurs, and MMA fighters so rolling can be a risky activity and injuries are possible. Now if you got some UFC/NAGA to small show pro guys in there, and you are running training camps 3-4 times a year, we are having an entirely different conversation. I have never trained at a casual BJJ school but I have visited a few.

I understand the need to profit, but where do you draw the line on teaching the art correctly and not selling "wolf tickets" to your customers? See this is why the Gracies split off from BJJ and created GJJ. They saw what was happening long before it got as bad as it is today. You got Gracie schools that do not let you roll until you have been a student for almost a year. People are paying money for quality not fun. If I am going to pay 150 bucks a month in some cases to learn an art, I do not want half ass instruction. That is why you still have high levels of enrollment for GJJ schools across the country. They go to the official source because BJJ has a small McDojo problem. Karate still gets shitted on in the West, when people who really know the Karate world and train the real way know better. How does this help the sport when many schools are lazy McDojos?

You are right they are not from the farm. They are from Brazil. Royce Gracie has books, DVDs, and seminars on Gracie Style Street Self Defense. There is no Judo equivalent of this. Ryan Gracie is dead and all the street fighting he used to do has a lot to do with that. Lets not also forget about all the hundreds of tournaments Rickson also won, not to mention Royce himself. Beach boys are not the type to take Judo the sport and make a similar version for it for finishing fights on the ground because in their minds that is where all fights end. Then proceed to dominate said sport for decades as the creators. I think you are getting the Brazilian vibe and BJJ mixed up a bit too much.

Maybe Ringo can speak more about that when he comes back to the thread for a visit, as a Brazilian I am sure he has views on that, but as a person with ties to various Brazilians myself, that portrayal does not seem to be accurate at all.
 

king bast

Kingfisher
Dalaran1991 said:
Trumpian said:
If you took a middleweight (160lbs) who had placed in some regional golden gloves tourneys, and took him to a dive bar and said "find the biggest guy in here and pick a fight".

The big guy would swing and hit air for a couple minutes, rapidly gas out, and the middleweight would dance around toying with him for a bit. Then boom, counter and KO/TKO him. Every time.

Boxing is severely underrated for self defense. The foot work, speed, ability to find range, and sheer power they can generate via their hands would make even a middling boxer seem superhuman compared to a civilian.

Im not an expert so I wont comment on the rest of the post, TK already did this. Im just commenting on this scenario because it's so ridiculous.

Find the biggest guy in the room and pick a fight with him? I know this is rhetoric, but really? Idon't even know where to start here.

That guy could have a knife, or a gun.
That guy could also be a fighter.
Instead of swinging at you, he grabs you, which actually happens very often in brawl. Now I know you can throw elbows and knees, but so can the other guy.
He grabs you, and he knows BJJ/wrestling.
He swing/throws bottle at you. Bigger guy + improvise weapons?
He is with a bunch of friends.

My 2cents.

But the elephant in the room, is that you're in a dive bar, so the guy is likely drunk. You don't realise what a massive advantage sobriety is over drunkenness until you've worked security, being the sober man in the room and the defense against drunken troublemakers. Sobriety is almost a super power against drunks...but unfortunately it doesn't have the same effect on meth heads, who were starting to grow in popularity towards the tail-end of my bouncing days.
 
Top