Treating "Jumper's Knee" - Patellar Tendonitis

CaliforniaBased

Woodpecker
Catholic
I finally figured out a working strategy to recover from this condition.

I allowed myself to injure the tendons to the point where daily activities caused pain - even a simple walk down the hall. What I did is stay home from work for most of the week (still went in 2-3 days a week) for about three weeks. During this time I rested as much as possible - minimized walking standing, etc - while also attending physical therapy. Immediately after the physical therapy sessions I would spend most of the day lying down and resting. The physical therapy was painful sometimes during, and afterward, but little by little I strengthen the tendons to the point where I can walk with significantly reduced pain.

Basically, I injured myself to the point where daily activities were considered a "workout" and I was essentially working out every day. However, simple rest did not work, because in order for the tendons to strengthen, they must be given physical activity to trigger the natural healing/strengthening process. After being stressed however, the tendons need some time off to recover. At the very beginning this meant serious rest like laying in bed or simply sitting. Now , I am getting to the point where my daily activities can be considered rest. I have been doing physical therapy for about 4 weeks 1-2 times a week.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I finally figured out a working strategy to recover from this condition.

I allowed myself to injure the tendons to the point where daily activities caused pain - even a simple walk down the hall. What I did is stay home from work for most of the week (still went in 2-3 days a week) for about three weeks. During this time I rested as much as possible - minimized walking standing, etc - while also attending physical therapy. Immediately after the physical therapy sessions I would spend most of the day lying down and resting. The physical therapy was painful sometimes during, and afterward, but little by little I strengthen the tendons to the point where I can walk with significantly reduced pain.

Basically, I injured myself to the point where daily activities were considered a "workout" and I was essentially working out every day. However, simple rest did not work, because in order for the tendons to strengthen, they must be given physical activity to trigger the natural healing/strengthening process. After being stressed however, the tendons need some time off to recover. At the very beginning this meant serious rest like laying in bed or simply sitting. Now , I am getting to the point where my daily activities can be considered rest. I have been doing physical therapy for about 4 weeks 1-2 times a week.
Did you ever look at the sled trick I mentioned?

If i get knee pain i stop any thing that directly agitates it and pull a sled with light resistance.

PM if want my remedy or places to get the equipment.

CaliforniaBased

Woodpecker
Catholic
Did you ever look at the sled trick I mentioned?

If i get knee pain i stop any thing that directly agitates it and pull a sled with light resistance.

PM if want my remedy or places to get the equipment.
^Yes I recall your post. I am not ready for that exersize yet, but will hit you up for more into when I am ready!

CaliforniaBased

Woodpecker
Catholic
I have been making good progress and I am finally more or less pain free to go about my daily activities (besides driving). I will note that a major caution to heed is overworking the tendons during recovery. The day before my physical therapy session, I walked very fast for about 1/4 of a mile. I heavily used me left knee to pull myself along which left it a bit strained (it was a good workout), but in need of a day of recovery afterward. Now, two days later I am still feeling a tight feeling in my left knee (it is not painful, but it is a warning) It is important to avoid overworking the healthy leg to compensate for the injured leg.

PS: Many of my posts in this thread are to log my progress and provide information for anyone who may have this same condition. I may another post which details the exercises I have been doing. I will call this my week 5 update.