Trump Popular in Canada

Hypno

Crow

bucky

Pelican
I might be completely misremembering this, but it seems like I recall that way back in the 1990s there was talk of Quebec succeeding and some speculation, crazy as it seems, about them joining the US. Even typing that seems strange, and I'm likely completely misremembering, but if it's at all true I speculate that any pro-USA sentiment in Quebec is mostly a way for the Francophones to thumb their noses at English-speaking Canadians, knowing full well that Anglophone Canadian identity is largely based on desperately trying to prove that no, really, we're totally different from Americans.

Nemausus

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Quebec is the most anti-mask province in Canada, but the provincial government is cracking down and beginning to issue fines.

However, from the video clips I saw this weekend, the demonstrators weren't chanting "U-S-A!" - They were chanting "Lib-er-té!" (Freedom or Liberty). It sounds like "USA" to anglophones who can't speak French so it was quickly spread all over social media by outraged progressives.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Analogous, but my whole massive family supports Trump. As does my extended even larger family. So I would say back in my small area there is about a 90% support.

Here I am in Vancouver. We went out to support inauguration day and the place was packed. Granted, there was a larger protest against him, but what else is new here.

I am out of the loop on Quebec, but from things here on the west coast people are nervous that we gave up too much, too quick. Things seem OK for now, but the tensions are high that we will get the hammer of SHELTER IN PLACE any moment. And we don't like it. America is a light of freedom even as we gave up ours in Canada. Its our Condescending Canadiana that allows us to fuck up repeatedly, while still knowing that if shit goes bad, we at least have the American overlap here to bring back some common sense.

I think we might be at that point right now. But make no mistake, the overwhelming majority of Canadians are pretty content right now in their guv jobs and CERB cash.

Hypno

Crow
I might be completely misremembering this, but it seems like I recall that way back in the 1990s there was talk of Quebec succeeding and some speculation, crazy as it seems, about them joining the US.
I remember that, but not the part about them joining the U.S. They probably are less like the U.S. than the rest of Canada, so that is unlikely.

More recently, I remember talk about the U.S. and Canada merging as part of W's North American Union which didn't go far but some in the LIberty movement made fake coins called an Amero.