Two dams fail in Michigan, forcing thousands to evacuate

Roosh

Cardinal
Meteorologist blames dam failure on "climate emergency."
The failure of two dams in Michigan driven by heavy rainfall late Tuesday has brought record-setting flooding to nearby communities as thousands of residents evacuate their homes.

The collapse of the Edenville Dam and the Sanford Dam, about 140 miles north of Detroit, has released floodwaters that have inundated houses and business along the Tittabawassee River and prompted the National Weather Service to issue a rare flash-flood emergency.

The Tittabawassee River, which has already reached a record height of nearly 35 feet as of 9 a.m. on Wednesday and continues to rise rapidly, is forecast to crest 38 feet by 8 p.m. tonight, according to the National Weather Service.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued an emergency declaration for the state and warned that downtown Midland could be under approximately 9 feet of water on Wednesday.

“This is one of those nightmare scenarios that meteorologists hope never happen,” Meteorologist Eric Holthaus wrote in a tweet. “We are in a climate emergency.”

The state can't catch a break.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
This of course has everything to do with corruption - consisting of both local and federal failures to control the companies which run those dams while skimping on safety and maintenance - and zero to do with global warming. A dam is never supposed to collapse just because there is more water behind it than predicted - the very concept of a dam means that it's by design able to handle being fully submerged, and then some. Anything else is a fairy tale.

Max Roscoe

Sparrow
My immediate thought was WHO BUILT IT?
Remember the diversity bridge?

But no, these dams were built in the 1920s. However, American infrastructure is crumbling and has been neglected for years. I'm sure that contributed, and I would expect to see more of this in the years to come. It wouldn't surprise me if "diversity" had been maintaining these bridges.

Max Roscoe

Sparrow
Re: American Infrastructure: I was utterly shocked the first time I flew through LAX airport about 5 years ago. Old, confusing, inefficient, and when I passed through customs, we were sent through a construction corridor and suddenly dumped directly out on the street ! (I and others had connecting flights)

But the worst airport I have been to in the world, worse than Zimbabwe, where you can bribe the guards to let you skip the passport control line and just walk in, worse than doing land crossings on foot in Central America, is Fort Lauderdale Florida. That was my port of entry back in February and it was such a horrendous experience--there were FOUR border officers working, at one of the nation's largest ports, and where most cruise ships are coming in and out. Normally I would see 20 or more. Most people there missed their flights--I'm talking thousands. I made mine by five minutes but ONLY because I was a solo traveler and my terminal was luckily next door.

The staff was so overwhelmed, they did not even glance at our passports--when you got to the end of the line they just waved you through. I imagine a foreigner with no visa who was holding a blue covered passport cover would have been waved through as well. I didn't see anyone being questioned. It would have been better just to open the gates and tell everyone to skip customs. The line was so large, it circumnavigated the entire room in a circle, and came back to the origin. The staff there was totally clueless and didn't even realize the line situation. I asked the border guard after 90 minutes in line if this was because I flew a discount airline and she said no, it's just a "new system" and rolled her eyes.

People were breaking in lines, dirty people coughing everywhere, everyone was confused, luggage was abandoned everywhere. I took a photo of the "customer service" booth as I left that had the contact info for the port executive director and the head of customs there. Both numbers were bad (one seemed to be answered by a black drug dealer, the other I think went straight to voice mail with no indication of who they were). I wrote an email to complain (this was truly worse than any third world travel experience and I have had a lot) and about a month later I got a reply that said sorry, you know you can always ask to speak to the supervisor on duty.

It was so bad I wouldn't fly out of FLL for free, and I'm a cheap bastard. Of course, operations with no one at the top and overworked staff are a security nightmare, and there's no telling what kind of stuff comes in. This virus fear had just started. I was flying wearing a mask and there were zero checks for coronavirus, unlike in my poor destination country. I just see America becoming more and more dysfunctional... I could go on and on, about the absurd new social security building I took my dad to that is so poorly laid out we had to struggle to walk 2 blocks from the *handicap* parking deck to the front door, and the staff told me they have to call the fire department weekly to help elderly people get back to their cars because they pass out because of the ridiculous layout, all done for "safety." It's just a dysfunctional place.

Queuing people up in a line and checking their papers is not that hard.... but it is in 2020 FLL.

beta_plus

Pelican
My first thought when I heard about this was "I wonder how much of this was caused by white women like Michigan Governor Karen McManjaw voting to force men to pay for bastard children that they did not father instead of investing in necessary infrastructure."

One thing about dams is that at least sometimes they come under federal authority, so this disaster might have been the responsibility of all of America's Karens. Their collective ability to use their political power while allying with minorities to hoard all of America's resources to the point where the country begins to physically rot is not to be underestimated. When Obama took office, he tried to pass a national infrastructure bill to fight the Great Recession, which, even though I did not vote for him, I supported. When the Karens found out that most of the jobs created by this would go to men, they demanded to see the manager and slimed the bill with screams of sexism. They made sure $700 out of $800 billion of the money went to make-work-for-white-women jobs like teachers and nurses instead of things like dams.

Fisheries biologists here on the Pacific coast. Hate to spill the beans, but all dams have a short lifespan due to the sediment load the river carries. Higher sediment load, shorter lifetime. To expensive to drawdown reservoir and remove accumulated sediment. Next thing is to raise the dam to increase capacity. Very expensive but lots cheaper than sediment removal. That is if you can raise the dam.

I would say here in California we are already starting to experience the dams lifetime being close to up. Plans to raise Shasta dam are underway. Sounds like Michigan's time is up also.

Dams are a rip off long term since they are non sustainable. In short term they do provide recreational opportunities, power, irrigation, flood control but absolutely destroyed our salmon runs. Who gets to pay for their long term damage? Yup, taxpayers. So it is safe to say dams generally have a life span of under 100 years max.

Don't like them, don't want them, don't need them. I probably just offended the engineers here, but they already know my arguments, and they do have very valid arguments of their own. I guess we just need a balanced approach. But we have inherited a mess that will have to be dealt with for this and future generations.

They are great short term, except for destroying the salmon and steelhead runs, but now the bill coming due.

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
Meteorologist blames dam failure on "climate emergency."

The state can't catch a break.
The state had been hit particularly hard by the Great Recession of 2008 (and beyond). Detroit also had its infamous bankruptcy restructuring that took place in 2013. It seemed in recent years that the Detroit area & Michigan had recovered from some of those difficult years, but I'll tell you that things in Michigan have been looking mighty dire since March 2020. All gains have evaporated. The unemployment rate in the state might have exploded to about 22%. The weather sucks more than half the year, urban areas are particularly rough, the state is not exactly business friendly & you have political groups that can't agree on anything it seems. The future is looking mighty bleak in Michigan. I think you'll see some folks flee for more business friendly Sunbelt states.

ABeast

Fisheries biologists here on the Pacific coast. Hate to spill the beans, but all dams have a short lifespan due to the sediment load the river carries. Higher sediment load, shorter lifetime. To expensive to drawdown reservoir and remove accumulated sediment. Next thing is to raise the dam to increase capacity. Very expensive but lots cheaper than sediment removal. That is if you can raise the dam.

I would say here in California we are already starting to experience the dams lifetime being close to up. Plans to raise Shasta dam are underway. Sounds like Michigan's time is up also.

Dams are a rip off long term since they are non sustainable. In short term they do provide recreational opportunities, power, irrigation, flood control but absolutely destroyed our salmon runs. Who gets to pay for their long term damage? Yup, taxpayers. So it is safe to say dams generally have a life span of under 100 years max.

Don't like them, don't want them, don't need them. I probably just offended the engineers here, but they already know my arguments, and they do have very valid arguments of their own. I guess we just need a balanced approach. But we have inherited a mess that will have to be dealt with for this and future generations.

They are great short term, except for destroying the salmon and steelhead runs, but now the bill coming due.
Can't you just build more of them?