U.S. Supreme Court nominations

Irenicus

Pelican
Gold Member
I really don't understand why the hell she is still working in the Supreme Court.

She is 85+ and has a few recent surgeries.

Can't she simply go home, and spend her last years, watching Mexican telenovelas ? Or maybe play with her grandchildren/pets (she has a daughter, if I recall)?

For fuck sake...my grandfather is turning 88 this year. Despite being in way better shape than RBG, I really can't imagine him (or anyone his age) working! Especially in an institution such as SCOTUS!!

I could say the same for Hitlery!

Hypno

Hummingbird
Irenicus said:
I really don't understand why the hell she is still working in the Supreme Court.

She is 85+ and has a few recent surgeries.

Can't she simply go home, and spend her last years, watching Mexican telenovelas ? Or maybe play with her grandchildren/pets (she has a daughter, if I recall)?
Because she is a bitter cunt. Yes, I can say that, there is still a First Amendment. For now.

66Scorpio

Woodpecker
RBG is an ideologue who loves her job and the power that it entails. She is certainly aware that if she retires Trump will nominate someone like Amy Coney-Barrett and that - in concert with Trumps other nominees - would represent a huge shift in the political makeup of the court. The resulting decisions from SCOTUS could basically undo a lot of what she has worked for over the last 25 years. This too is what is driving the Democrats and the left generally even more insane than usual.

If the Democrats can't replace her with an equally liberal judge then they might actually have to follow the Constitution and the left will no longer be able to legislate from the bench on issues like abortion, gay marriage and other social justice pet projects.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
eradicator said:
Let Ted stay in the senate. He just won a hotly contested senate race against Beto. Beto could run again and win if Ted's replacement turned out to be some sort of schmuck like Roy Moore.

Someone like Kethledge would be good though. It should be someone who is male, heterosexual and extremely conservative.
If Cruz goes to the Supreme Court (or Cabinet) my pick would be Dan Crenshaw to replace him. That said, I think Barrett is overwhelmingly likely to be the pick if Trump gets to replace Ginsburg.

Someone on another forum I read brought up a Texas judge who's about 45 years old, staunchly conservative (more conservative track record than even Gorsuch), had an Asian (Korean or Vietnamese IIRC) last name but can't recall the name. Forget if he's in one of the federal courts or a state court. Anyone know who I'm thinking of?

...and then Clarence Thomas could resign, leaving Trump free to appoint a worthy successor, somebody 15+ years younger who is, like Thomas, hard conservative. Can you imaging the squealing then?

Haha.

Graft

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Unfortunately we are going to have to be poor sports and root for her accelerated death. She doesn't seem to want to tarnish her legacy by leaving a vacant seat two years before the next president is elected.

The old bat has gumption, I'll give her that.

I just don't expect her to leave the seat vacated on her own volition.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Dr Mantis Toboggan said:
Someone on another forum I read brought up a Texas judge who's about 45 years old, staunchly conservative (more conservative track record than even Gorsuch), had an Asian (Korean or Vietnamese IIRC) last name but can't recall the name. Forget if he's in one of the federal courts or a state court. Anyone know who I'm thinking of?
James C. Ho

Rumoured to be a potential replacement for whenever C. Thomas decides to retire (Trump 2nd term?)

Hypno

Hummingbird
Trump need s a plan for Thomas because his health is so so. He's been rumored to want to retire near term; he has a family and is not a lifer like RBG.

Graft said:
Unfortunately we are going to have to be poor sports and root for her accelerated death. She doesn't seem to want to tarnish her legacy by leaving a vacant seat two years before the next president is elected.

The old bat has gumption, I'll give her that.

I just don't expect her to leave the seat vacated on her own volition.
I don't think she has "gumption". She's just a narcissist. I've known people just like her. Not even remotely admirable or likeable as people, unless of course you are a slavish asskisser, in which case she'd deign to notice you.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Emancipator said:
Dr Mantis Toboggan said:
James C. Ho

Rumoured to be a potential replacement for whenever C. Thomas decides to retire (Trump 2nd term?)
That's the guy. Thanks.

I haven't heard anything negative about Thomas' health but I have heard he's been considering retirement for a few years now. I think he leaves after the current court term, which would be in May/June. He's done more than just about any other man to preserve whatever shot we still have at preserving the Republic, he's earned the right to live out his final years in peace. Replace him with a 45ish version of himself, whether that's Ho, Cruz, Lee, or someone else. We may not get this opportunity again for a very long time.

Frankly I wouldn't be upset if Alito retires in the next 2 years either. We need to get the conservative seats as young as possible in order to weather the coming storm.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
SCOTUS judges don't have to make an appearance at the state of the union. Usually only about half of them show up. RBG is probably at a hospice and half dead already.