U.S. Supreme Court nominations

Justice Bryer is 82. I suspect he might retire before a second Trump term ends. So Trump could make the court 7-2 (assuming Roberts doesn't cave... again) with two fat Leftists of questionable long term health remaining.
I don't think he would voluntarily retire when Trump is president. He would rather just die trying to wait until the next president. Just like if Biden became president, there is no way in the world Clarence Thomas would retire, even if he was ready. Things are just so polarized that is way things work now.

Hypno

Crow
After Trump is re-elected, I would not be surprised to see Thomas retire. There have been rumors that he wants to for some time now. He has been a solid conservative on the court for 25 years and has earned it.

82 (Breyer) is pretty darn old for most people. Its different for everyone, but eventually a mental decline comes. The odds are against him still being seated when Trump finishes his second term.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
In fact Sotomayor really looks like she is not in good health at all. If we are playing celebrity death pool, the scotus edition, she is my pick over Breyer or any of the others

F2A7FFBF-E97C-434A-A604-30A278164B97.jpegE32DFE11-7355-4C83-8D0A-4089164BCDF8.jpeg23AF753B-F079-4D30-9DCA-C6CAE26C1F6E.jpegCF7C5987-7324-4C0C-8977-CD406A2BADBA.jpeg

JayR

Woodpecker
CNN is reporting that Trump has chosen Coney Barrett

(CNN)President Donald Trump intends to choose Amy Coney Barrett to be the new Supreme Court justice, according to multiple senior Republican sources with knowledge of the process.
In conversations with some senior Republican allies on the Hill, the White House is indicating that Barrett is the intended nominee, multiple sources said.

Right because CNN is always accurate with their unnamed sources. Expect a switch to different pick tomorrow on principle alone even if this is the first accurate reporting from CNN since 2016

estraudi

Kingfisher
Gold Member
In fact Sotomayor really looks like she is not in good health at all. If we are playing celebrity death pool, the scotus edition, she is my pick over Breyer or any of the others

View attachment 25384View attachment 25385View attachment 25386View attachment 25387
Aren't the conditions that Sotomayor has the same thing that killed Patrice O'Neal, may he rest in peace.

After Trump is re-elected, I would not be surprised to see Thomas retire. There have been rumors that he wants to for some time now. He has been a solid conservative on the court for 25 years and has earned it.

82 (Breyer) is pretty darn old for most people. Its different for everyone, but eventually a mental decline comes. The odds are against him still being seated when Trump finishes his second term.
I would be sad to see Thomas retire. He has been a great justice.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
Ok for some reason I thought the left would give Coney Barrett an easier time because she is a mother of 7 and adopted the Haitian boys after the earthquake.
I was lukewarm on her but now that the left is bringing the hate I have no problem supporting her.

The idea that these “conservative” judges are somehow against the faggotry is laughable, they’ve all been voting for faggotry for years now but whatever

DanielH

Woodpecker
Funny thing is, the best possible SCOTUS pick, if you're just looking for someone to fix America, wouldn't be any highly credentialed judge or attorney. It would probably be something like a churchgoing midwestern blue collar worker. Someone who doesn't see a case regarding trannies in schools or the rights of homosexuals to sodomize each other and get tax credits for it, and immediately think “now what does precedent tell us?” But instead someone who thinks “That's disgusting, degenerate, and an abomination in the eyes of the Lord.”

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Gold Member
Is Barrett officially Trump's selection, or could Trump pull a bait and switch and nominate Bridget Bade instead ?

Feigning with Barrett could be another volley to show how fake the news is. And I read in one of the links earlier in (I think) this thread that Bade was elected to her current position 78-21, mostly Democratic votes.

Trump is clever when it comes to playing the media, I'm just curious if Barrett is official.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I would be sad to see Thomas retire. He has been a great justice.
He has indeed, one of the best to ever sit on the court, but for the long term good of the country he needs to retire by early summer 2022 if Trump wins and the GOP holds the Senate. I'd rather have a justice 90% as good as Thomas for the next 25-30 years than Thomas himself for 5 more after which he gets replaced by a leftist. Alito as well.