Ugly Art Style Used By Facebook, etc.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I can't be the only one who's noticed the ugly art aesthetic used by Facebook and various other media brands and companies. You know it when you see it: tiny heads on huge bodies, often with tree-trunk arms or necks, weird skin colors, and a general soy vibe that suggests those who devised the style and executed it are almost certainly SJW cranks. You can see the ideology in this nonsense.

uglyart.png

visualvomit.jpeg

strongempowered.jpeg

I don't think flat visual design is inherently bad, but this is clearly an ideological weapon being wielded by those who subscribe to absurd notions of the promotion of ugliness under the guise of "body positivity."

Lately I've been thinking that Grand Admiral Thrawn was right: you can learn a lot about the psychology of a civilization from looking at its art. And ours is hopelessly confused and adrift in a sea of endless electronic concupiscence, in denial of reality, with a distorted and unnatural visual notion of humanity derived from a ludicrously inaccurate, secular vision of morality. There's been a lot of discussion of this in the "Why do all new buildings look like this?" thread, but these graphic design examples provide perhaps an even clearer portrayal of how Marxist ideology poisons everything, even art.

It's especially unnerving when you consider that even in the Soviet Union, the art had a daring, stoic quality, and sometimes seems genuinely inspirational. But art like the examples above is addled with infantilism, suggesting that we have already plunged ever further into psycho-social depravity than the tyrant empires of the 20th century. This Hugbox Bolshevism, as I'm calling it, is just one more hideous mutation of the Satanic mind-virus that has been gnawing at western civilization for over a century now.

Radoste

Sparrow
This style is ubiquitous and I hate it. All the art colleges are sharting out people that make this kind of stuff.

It's a fitting style for a weak and degenerate age. The non-threatening angles, lack of depth, flippant color selection, absence of outlines (i.e. borders), and a general disregard for centuries of accumulated artistic knowledge is basically a recipe for visual Globohomo.

Strangely, I don't think I've never seen this style given an specific name other than "contemporary" and I'm an artman by trade.

Infantilisation, maybe?
Yes. The soft-edges are nice and safe and pleasant. There are no mean old outlines dividing the colors from each other, which are always like a bag of candy. It's a style fit for a baby cradle.

Last edited:
It isn't just art, it's architecture itself. Yes, it can be designed to control you.

EMJ's first book, Degenerate Moderns, goes into how the art expressed by Picasso cannot be separated from who Picasso was - an unrepentant reprobate and an egoist. Much of the "art" above probably attempts to mimic Picasso, unsurprisingly.
To be fair, Picasso was a master of the classical Realist style before he started getting all weird with cubism. But the overall theory is true, that great art cannot be produced by degenerate souls. It's also a weapon of psychological warfare to make people look at ugly things, like what governors are currently doing with those half-dead-looking Christmas trees they're putting up around their cities.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
From the slightly right of center twitter feed of the artist above, and the fact that John Durant - who is kind of based, as they say - is on that Magic Spoon site, the art could be misleading. Perhaps it is just a marketing shtick versus a deliberate subversive push.

& as for realism, Picasso was extraordinarily good at it early in life, but left that behind as he grew older.

Radoste

Sparrow
This designer runs a twitter handle all about it: https://twitter.com/humansofflat

I don't know his whole story, but he was extremely-cancelled at some point, excommunicated from the advertising world.
Interesting. A Jewish "anti-liberal" Leftist claims to have coined the character illustration style "humans of flat" and seems to have been rustled some jimmies with his criticism of it, presumably because it is the aesthetic incarnation of globohomo/wokeness and because the people who make such artwork are easily-triggered art school alumni.

This designer runs a twitter handle all about it: https://twitter.com/humansofflat

I don't know his whole story, but he was extremely-cancelled at some point, excommunicated from the advertising world.

the fact that this guy was so easily attacked as a neo-Nazi by a pack of defensive shills seems to indicate to me that the drawing style is literally intended to be subversive and neoliberal

False accusations actually reveal more about the accuser than the accused

Gonrad

Pigeon
I have noticed that a bunch of globalists have revamped their UI this year. Facebook, Linkedin, Evernote, MacOS. By the way all these UIs seem to have adopted the same style... almost as if it was coordinated in preparation for something? No, that would be a conspiracy theory.

kel

Pelican
Wow this is so good, I can't believe there's actually someone willing to fight to get rid of this garbage. I am now officially anti-flat design person. Guy seems kind of weird though.
I hadn't seen his feed in a bit (I don't actually have Twitter, mostly because I don't want to give them a phone number, I just go to a few handles from time to time and click around during boring meetings or whatever), but indeed he does seem to be going a little stir crazy.

Oberrheiner

Pelican
Only a culture as sick and perverted as the White Modern West would harbor and produce something as repulsive as
@HumansOfFlat
and take it seriously Africans, Asians, Arabs, Latinos—non-Westernized ones—these are real cultures. They laugh at something as absurd as
@HumansOfFlat

Oh, it's the white men, of course.

It's always the same dialectic, it starts to get annoyingly boring.
On the one hand some people push some values (mostly tolerance of the intolerable), then on the other side of the coin others criticize white men for tolerating this shit.

Oh, it's the white men, of course.

It's always the same dialectic, it starts to get annoyingly boring.
On the one hand some people push some values (mostly tolerance of the intolerable), then on the other side of the coin others criticize white men for tolerating this shit.

Well, it’s true. Most caucasians in the United States have no real moral values outside of accepting authority from others. The people who have strong convictions to make change are in a small minority. There is an apathy disease. In Africa or East Asia you would traditionally see huge protests from globohomo affairs. Same thing in Eastern Europe.

Oberrheiner

Pelican
Unfortunately no, it's not.

White civilization is europe, and its culmination was 1945.
What you see after that is its zombie, already dead but not unmoving and buried yet.

Eastern europe is a bit different since they were in the winning camp, but communism was the price to pay - a pyrrhic victory if you ask me.