United Airlines wants 50% of its pilots to be black or female

Towgunner

Woodpecker
I'm sure that by now everyone has heard about the recent decree from United Airlines regarding their future hiring protocols for their pilots. Apparently, they'll be hiring in such a way that 50% of their pilots will be women or blacks or both. This concept is nothing new and it derives from the various aggrieved studies departments polluting higher education. If I recall correctly, this is called "proportionality". That said, this is nothing less than a hand out to only certain groups of people in society. Like with welfare, which is a handout of money, so is this, yet it includes not only money, as pilots can be paid decently well, but, prestige.

What this ultimately amounts too is that these under-represented groups are unable to achieve these stated goals without the outside assistance of some kind of outside authority. Not only that but, as this process starts to unfold the very thing that I think these "aggrieved" people desire most, which is prestige and ego, is being diluted by themselves. Being an airline pilot, fighter pilot, doctor, Marine or engineer evoke a level of respect throughout society, or at least they did. This respect is due to the selectivity of these professions. Being a doctor requires a certain level of intelligence, pilot dexterity, Marine toughness etc. Its because not everyone can be these things that they're held in high regard. However, what happens when the standards are dropped where almost anyone can be, for instance, a Marine or pilot.

The left will counter this with their normal platitudes and avoid the issue of ego, but, that's the heart of it. And due to their actions it will simply be not as rewarding to be any of these professions going forward because everyone will know that factors other than competency were at work and at work in a big way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
Another reason to avoid short term flights. Typically zero minority hires on international flights, this is where the best crews work.

This is a disaster waiting to happen Of course planes in general are mostly autopilot today but when something goes wrong, I don't want a bus driver with low IQ figuring out how to react, I want Sully.

I'm sure that by now everyone has heard about the recent decree from United Airlines regarding their future hiring protocols for their pilots. Apparently, they'll be hiring in such a way that 50% of their pilots will be women or blacks or both. This concept is nothing new and it derives from the various aggrieved studies departments polluting higher education. If I recall correctly, this is called "proportionality". That said, this is nothing less than a hand out to only certain groups of people in society. Like with welfare, which is a handout of money, so is this, yet it includes not only money, as pilots can be paid decently well, but, prestige.

What this ultimately amounts too is that these under-represented groups are unable to achieve these stated goals without the outside assistance of some kind of outside authority. Not only that but, as this process starts to unfold the very thing that I think these "aggrieved" people desire most, which is prestige and ego, is being diluted by themselves. Being an airline pilot, fighter pilot, doctor, Marine or engineer evoke a level of respect throughout society, or at least they did. This respect is due to the selectivity of these professions. Being a doctor requires a certain level of intelligence, pilot dexterity, Marine toughness etc. Its because not everyone can be these things that they're held in high regard. However, what happens when the standards are dropped where almost anyone can be, for instance, a Marine or pilot.

The left will counter this with their normal platitudes and avoid the issue of ego, but, that's the heart of it. And due to their actions it will simply be not as rewarding to be any of these professions going forward because everyone will know that factors other than competency were at work and at work in a big way.
I wouldn't get angry about this but I would not fly United either.

I believe the plan is to get rid of pilots altogether and replace them with automated systems. This is why they can pursue policies like this without having all of their planes crash. However, IF their planes do crash it will just give them even more reason to ask for government handouts to replace pilots with automated system, for the good of diversity and social justice, of course. So it's a win-win from a Satanic perspective.

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher

“Today, United has one of the most diverse pilot populations of any U.S. carrier with nearly 20% of our pilot group made up of women and people of color,” the airline said. “We are working toward raising that number even higher by partnering with diversity-led organizations and continuing to remove gender and racial barriers. And we’re going one step further with plans for 50% of United Aviate Academy students being women and people of color to ensure our students reflect the diversity of the customers and communities we serve.”

Wow. So they are increasing the minority hires by 2.5 times. Until whites are less than 50%. That's not just affirmative action, it's active anti-white discrimination. They're not asking for "proportional representation" but elimination of white people. United is Anti-White Airlines.

If no other airline is even at 20% minorities, they might want to rethink how safe and effective their flights are going to be when they ramp it up this high above normal...

MKE-Ed

Robin
This is a very dangerous and stupid move on United Airlines part. Lowering standards and putting people that are not really qualified to fly multi-million dollar jets because they want to appear more diverse or multicultural can end with serious mistakes that can have disastrous consequences. Flying jets is a very complicated matter that only the most qualified should be doing. This is not like some doctor or lawyer that flys his small Cessna plane on the weekends. There will be people that will now avoid flying on United because of this.

Grow Bag

Kingfisher

When ideology trumps competency, as it has for a few decades now, standards in all areas of the workplace must fall. My experience with diversity hires is that I often had to make good their mistakes or take the initiative, which they were always happy to let me do. I can imagine this has been happening across the board. But having competent white guys around to always be correcting mistakes will phase out over time and we'll get the full impact of a high status, low IQ technical and professional workforce.

kel

Ostrich
Everything is decaying and that's just going to accelerate. The least competent people - regardless of race or sex or whatever else - are going to rise to the top. Everyone sort of already sees this, but most people I talk to aren't yet ready to accept just how wide spread it is. That is, they know that politicians are plucked from the dumbest and least competent members of our population, they see how utterly retarded academia is, they feel the pain of bureaucracy and its denizens, but they still have this belief (hope?) that somewhere down there there's competence, there's Atlas holding the world up, the hard sciences and crucial skilled professionals are there quietly working in the shadow of 85 IQ egomaniacs. They're not ready to accept that all our institutions public and private are completely rotten and riddled with incompetence from top to bottom. We're drinking water from aqueducts that will someday collapse and only then will a mass of the population realize that no one even remembers how to build them anymore.

Go tell everyone on US Airways Flight 1549 that under this plan, they would've had about a 50% of becoming fish food in the Hudson River.

I read through some of the comments on United's twitter... Some people were saying things to the effect of, "Looks like only White men are unhappy about this... lol!"

Maybe us White men like civilization, and would rather it not collapse by elevating unqualified people into positions of authority where they can cause huge disasters.

Expect things to keep breaking down with this evil mentality taking hold.

Short of someone even more intense than Trump ever was coming on the scene and forcing a brutal meritocracy on society, going as far as to shut down United Airlines for even saying this, and grounding their fleet, I don't see things turning around.

Dusty

Peacock
Gold Member
The CEO of United, Scott Kirby, is former military, white, and with a large family (I think he has 7 kids with one more on the way). He also has a history of being republican.

I don't think CEOs, regardless of their own personal beliefs, are powerful enough to stop the woke. With the wokeness, they just go along to get along. Necessary for collecting that huge paycheck. Any resistance would be futile, and result in their loss of their livelihood.

Parabola

Sparrow
It's all fun and games bringing in quotas for admin drone jobs, HR and the like but flying an aircraft is serious business.

I fly light aircraft as a hobbyist and there is an immense sense of responsibility that comes with even that, I can't comprehend what one must have to take on their shoulders to pilot a passenger jet full of people.

Only someone with the highest degree of focus and competence should be put in such a position, pushing anybody up the ranks due to identity rather than merit in this situation could easily cost lives.

M'bare

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Get all the woke people on planes potentially flown by under-qualified pilots. Could be worse.

Last time I flew on United, July 2019, the plane was such bad shape that mechanics had to come out twice to try to get it going, then we ended up transferring to another plane. It did not work either, so on to plane number 3. Then diverted to Denver, you know, just because. Spent the night there. United made the mistake of sending me a customer satisfaction survey. After they read a detailed account on why their company was a threat to public safety and their planes and routes should be auctioned off, they offered to send me vouches for future flights. I never took them. Because I will never fly with them again. If an airline can not do basic things like board passengers and actually take off at least 50% of the time, then I suppose they might try unusual marketing, because people swayed by slogans might overlook United's complete failure to justify their very existence. Maybe they could advertise trans-friendly restrooms on the planes.

Can confirm...diversity hiring has been going on at airlines for at least 20 years. The tax/govt incentives are there. Women and minorities get actively recruited as soon as they have fairly minimal qualification. White male NEW HIRES at my company probably have, on average 10,000 hrs flight time. If less than that, then equivalent military leadership as squadron, wing commanders, even base commanders. Typical female or POC new hire maybe 4,000 hrs and 10 years younger than "us".

The diversity hiring is causing mistrust, at least for me. Flying with a white dude, I'm 97% certain things will go well and if things start going off the rails, it is rare, quickly corrected, usually self corrected, rarely needing much input from me.

Flying the first flight of a trip with a diversity hire? I know its 50/50 that I will be pushed right to the edge of my safety and or good practice tolerance. The shame of it is, there are some damn good women pilots, and POC, none of that crap has anything to do with anything, but when you lower the hiring bar to hire more of them, you are hurting the ones that actually can fly worth a damn. I have learned to be skeptical based on sex/skin color, because the company is hiring based on sex/skin color, instead of on QUALITY. If the hiring process was sex/color blind, and we just hired on ability and experience, I would have full faith (or at least 97%) in whoever I am flying with, regardless of who they are....but that is sadly not the case.

Yes, modern aircraft are wonderfully safe, until stuff starts going wrong. US passengers have gotten complacent as far as safety concerns....they think the autopilot is going to save the day! The 737 Max is a perfect example. Didn't see any US airlines crash those, did you? All 3rd world countries with low quality pilots. Yes, it had a flaw, and a major system failure, but not so bad that the airplanes should have been lost! IIRC prior to the 3rd world crashes, 2 US carriers had identical MCAS failures, in each case the pilots deactivated it, and flew the airplane just fine.

Pilots are saving your bacon many times a year, without anyone but the company and the FAA realizing it. Most of the time, it doesn't make the news, nor do passengers sometimes realize that 2 (or 3 or 4) pilots just saved a few hundred lives and a billion dollars in losses. At my company there are usually at least 1, but sometimes 2 or 3 incidents per year, where, had there been lower quality (3rd world -ish) pilots, they would have made the news, in the form of a smoking hole.

If there is a crash that results from a diversity/diversity crew pairing, it will be blamed on poor training, and something failing on the aircraft itself or design flaw (737 Max.) Nothing will be done about hiring lower quality pilots, which are fine when everything works and the weather is good. When stuff goes wrong, Air France 447 style, there is absolutely no automation/airplane gizmo that is going to save the day...only airmanship. Poor airmanship = body count eventually.

It is very sad what is happening, creates a lot of mistrust in a job that depends on nearly absolute trust (but verify) between pilots. Now we have woke HR, face diapers, and basically no comraderie with anyone outside of the cockpit. Everyone looks like a faceless NPC. Years of jet noise and gunfire and I can't hear them through the diaper anyway. I used to look forward to going to work, I don't dread it yet, but I don't have the same feeling I used to (pre coVaids.)

Last edited:

jakester318

Sparrow

There are two main pilot certification training companies in the United States: 1) Flight Safety International; 2) CAE Inc. Both of these companies train pilots to meet the certification requirements mandated by the FAA. You can be sure that these companies have many hopeful pilots failing training certification several times before passing. There's a shortage of qualified pilots in the United States so they are throwing bones to the blacks and women.

It's all well and good for companies to play this equal opportunity card when people's lives are not at stake because...well, people's lives are not at stake, so it's easy to hide marginal performers. The moment that planes start colliding in the air or crashing into the bottom of the ocean, that's the moment that people will shit-can United Airlines for "safer" travel options. This is going to backfire eventually and sooner or later, this whole race narrative is going to implode once it starts to really cost lives.

Caractacus Potts

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Can confirm...diversity hiring has been going on at airlines for at least 20 years. The tax/govt incentives are there. Women and minorities get actively recruited as soon as they have fairly minimal qualification. White male NEW HIRES at my company probably have, on average 10,000 hrs flight time. If less than that, then equivalent military leadership as squadron, wing commanders, even base commanders. Typical female or POC new hire maybe 4,000 hrs and 10 years younger than "us".

The diversity hiring is causing mistrust, at least for me. Flying with a white dude, I'm 97% certain things will go well and if things start going off the rails, it is rare, quickly corrected, usually self corrected, rarely needing much input from me.

Flying the first flight of a trip with a diversity hire? I know its 50/50 that I will be pushed right to the edge of my safety and or good practice tolerance. The shame of it is, there are some damn good women pilots, and POC, none of that crap has anything to do with anything, but when you lower the hiring bar to hire more of them, you are hurting the ones that actually can fly worth a damn. I have learned to be skeptical based on sex/skin color, because the company is hiring based on sex/skin color, instead of on QUALITY. If the hiring process was sex/color blind, and we just hired on ability and experience, I would have full faith (or at least 97%) in whoever I am flying with, regardless of who they are....but that is sadly not the case.

Yes, modern aircraft are wonderfully safe, until stuff starts going wrong. US passengers have gotten complacent as far as safety concerns....they think the autopilot is going to save the day! The 737 Max is a perfect example. Didn't see any US airlines crash those, did you? All 3rd world countries with low quality pilots. Yes, it had a flaw, and a major system failure, but not so bad that the airplanes should have been lost! IIRC prior to the 3rd world crashes, 2 US carriers had identical MCAS failures, in each case the pilots deactivated it, and flew the airplane just fine.

Pilots are saving your bacon many times a year, without anyone but the company and the FAA realizing it. Most of the time, it doesn't make the news, nor do passengers sometimes realize that 2 (or 3 or 4) pilots just saved a few hundred lives and a billion dollars in losses. At my company there are usually at least 1, but sometimes 2 or 3 incidents per year, where, had there been lower quality (3rd world -ish) pilots, they would have made the news, in the form of a smoking hole.

If there is a crash that results from a diversity/diversity crew pairing, it will be blamed on poor training, and something failing on the aircraft itself or design flaw (737 Max.) Nothing will be done about hiring lower quality pilots, which are fine when everything works and the weather is good. When stuff goes wrong, Air France 447 style, there is absolutely no automation/airplane gizmo that is going to save the day...only airmanship. Poor airmanship = body count eventually.

It is very sad what is happening, creates a lot of mistrust in a job that depends on nearly absolute trust (but verify) between pilots. Now we have woke HR, face diapers, and basically no comraderie with anyone outside of the cockpit. Everyone looks like a faceless NPC. Years of jet noise and gunfire and I can't hear them through the diaper anyway. I used to look forward to going to work, I don't dread it yet, but I don't have the same feeling I used to (pre coVaids.)
I guess my decision to drop out of Embry-Riddle proved fortuitous.

Blade Runner

Pelican
We were discussing this on a Discord chat and one of the guys is an aviation expert.

this move is patent bull Because there literally are not enough diversity candidates to meet that quota
I'm glad to hear this and also glad never to fly United, ever again - not that I did more than once every ten years anyway. Double win.