University education is inherently liberal

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Great tweet storm about why academia keep churning out leftists. The explanation given here isn't the low-hanging fruit that university classrooms teach Marxist propaganda and critical theory. Rather it's the whole "college experience" that turns people left-wards. Namely that a teen who goes off into university that cuts them off from their family, their roots, their culture and instead they are bombarded with a cosmopolitan landscape. Relationships in college from sexual ones to friendships are made because they are "fun" and it's expected they will be transitory, especially sexual/romantic ones. This leads to the sort of individualistic atomization that creates and sustains a liberal society.

First Tweet below, the rest can be found by clicking

Towgunner

Kingfisher
No, I do not think a university education is inherently liberal, because, I don't think that education has to be liberal per se. I think our current education system to include the universities and colleges is certainly liberal and communist etc, but, this is due to the long march through the institutions. That is well-covered ground here. It doesn't necessarily have to be this way. Aside from the ideological assault that occurred mostly back in the 1960s inspired by communism and, in particular, post-modernism, there are attributes that lend universities and education to be dominated by a singular worldview. For instance, the institution of tenure. Tenure is like a calcification process, because, its permanent. Conflicting views and ideas can't really be expressed because there's a stagnant cohort of people who never move on. Also, its cowardly. academia is not an institution that requires courage, so, it doesn't attract that kind of person. I think this is key and overlooked by many people on our side. When there's an obese 6 ft tall black woman, such as prof niomi lowe, screaming and becoming hysterical, the typical pencil-necked academic isn't going to stand up to that. Of course, if it ever came to it all they'd have to do is run away for about 10 ft before prof landwhale collapses in pursuit. But then again, said academic is also unlikely to run very far as well. This struck me when observing the evergreen state college incident. Prof Lowe would corner her colleagues and antagonize them. Professor Brett Weinstein was the only one that stood up. And, he was hunted down as we all know. But, Brett has said that he knew of other academics that were just as concerned as he was. But, they remained silent. Why? Brett was confused because they were tenured and, therefore, didn't have to worry, yet, they kept quiet. I think the explanation is cowardice. All you need is for a domineering group of people that aren't afraid of embarrassing themselves and you can take over an institution like academia.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
Actually, I became more traditional when I attended community college both relating to the college experience and living in a poor neighborhood (which made me less sympathetic for the urban poor). The university seemed more liberal than the community college even though they were in the same city, but it was nowhere near as leftist as Yale or UC Berkeley and I rarely noticed political/sjw stuff. Some experiences in higher education that shifted me more traditional: My biology teacher stated his belief that life begins at conception because we all start as cells. He didn't state his stance on abortion, but I doubt he supports it. My accounting teacher's comments regarding minimum wage planted the seed that convinced me to no longer support minimum wage. The geology professor at my university showed Al Gore's video BUT he also showed a video that questioned Al Gore's video so we had both sides AND he also stated he believes in the 2nd video and that planting trees would do more than ideas like banning black paint in cars (which California considered).

Most teachers I had didn't openly state their political views or show them which I liked. The history teacher even stated why he won't tell anybody even when asked. He didn't want any student to feel uncomfortable for having different views. This is very professional, I think.

My college and university were mostly locals and the university is not the main one in the state. I know the main one in the state is super liberal despite the state being somewhat conservative overall. I was also a commuter student and attended after the military. Traditional students that live at or near campus and attend right after high school might have different experiences. I think people should work 1-2 years before college or work and attend classes part-time to gain maturity and appreciate college better.

HatefulTwerp

Pigeon
Other Christian
Great tweet storm about why academia keep churning out leftists. The explanation given here isn't the low-hanging fruit that university classrooms teach Marxist propaganda and critical theory. Rather it's the whole "college experience" that turns people left-wards. Namely that a teen who goes off into university that cuts them off from their family, their roots, their culture and instead they are bombarded with a cosmopolitan landscape. Relationships in college from sexual ones to friendships are made because they are "fun" and it's expected they will be transitory, especially sexual/romantic ones. This leads to the sort of individualistic atomization that creates and sustains a liberal society.

Another interesting point is fresher’s week, which bears all the anthropological hallmarks of an initiatory rite designed to break down the old identity. Alcohol, drugs, sex, loud music, and of course separation from your social network - these are things used by cults, interrogators, etc., to break down your old self. It’s weird how fresher’s week is supported and even promoted by universities - these are older people telling impressionable and vulnerable youths to get wasted and fuck each other. Why is it tolerated as a society?

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox

Extremely insightful thread, with a few points that I had never considered.

I wonder if this is why we see a more liberal Orthodox Church in North America: priests and bishops here tend to be highly educated.

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
My college and university were mostly locals and the university is not the main one in the state. I know the main one in the state is super liberal despite the state being somewhat conservative overall. I was also a commuter student and attended after the military. Traditional students that live at or near campus and attend right after high school might have different experiences. I think people should work 1-2 years before college or work and attend classes part-time to gain maturity and appreciate college better.

These people weren't at college for the "college experience" so they managed to avoid a lot of the things described in the Tweetstorm. Universities in for example East Asia don't seem to have the same sort D1 football party scene and I'm wondering if that's a contributing factor for the social conservativism of educated classes there compared to the typical college educated person in the US.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
These people weren't at college for the "college experience" so they managed to avoid a lot of the things described in the Tweetstorm. Universities in for example East Asia don't seem to have the same sort D1 football party scene and I'm wondering if that's a contributing factor for the social conservativism of educated classes there compared to the typical college educated person in the US.
I think community college is good to start at because you get a mix of ages and student types and you are right, I think a lot of people want to go to giant schools because of their party and sports scene. Choosing a university because they have a good football team doesn't seem wise to me.

The USA is ridiculous in having college sponsored sports teams. Why should a student get a scholarship because he is good at throwing a ball through a hoop? I think sports are great for recreation and health purposes, but sports scholarships make no sense.

Garuda

Ostrich
Protestant
It's a good thread about the damage that social isolation does to the mind, which opens the student up to accepting leftist dogma. It's too simplistic as I think the author is not aware of the facts like "educational experts" like Thomas Dewey were enamored with the Soviet Union, the reworking of foundations of college from imparting the highest wisdom of western civilization to mere workforce training and the infiltration of the system by communists posing as WWII refugees and their American allies.

AmericanLegion-covers.jpg

Wutang

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I'm not convinced that teachers really have that much of an effect on what their students believe. When I see people go down the SJW route (especially girls) it's usually due to what they are being exposed to from their peer group, pop culture, or what they see on social media/internet. The biggest SJWs I've met have typically been people who are involved in nerd fandoms and I think it's a combo of the sort of media people in these fandoms consume (recall all the cringe Harry Potter and Star Wars signs you should see in protests during the Trump years) and the sort of people involved (downcast isolated people who are resentful of the "beautiful people").

ultralight_hiker

Sparrow
Protestant
I'm not convinced that teachers really have that much of an effect on what their students believe. When I see people go down the SJW route (especially girls) it's usually due to what they are being exposed to from their peer group, pop culture, or what they see on social media/internet. The biggest SJWs I've met have typically been people who are involved in nerd fandoms and I think it's a combo of the sort of media people in these fandoms consume (recall all the cringe Harry Potter and Star Wars signs you should see in protests during the Trump years) and the sort of people involved (downcast isolated people who are resentful of the "beautiful people").
I'd argue the professors do influence them quite a lot depending on the specific nature of each student. Some people are highly suggestible and easier to influence than others. I used to be quite oblivious. People who are politically unaware, for example, might tend to follow what their professors say simply because they perceive that they speak from a position of cultural authority. The realm of academia is given such a sheen of elitism that many people want to identify with it in some capacity. Still, I can see how this is starting to shift in recent years, and the value of college is obviously losing ground among people.
But I definitely see where the pop culture influences people too. I used to be that way, and had become accustomed to my professors having the "unbiased truth". When I would indulge in pop culture, I was constantly reinforced that what I was seeing was the correct and default position. I even foolishly thought that because the majority agrees with something, it must be right. Now I find myself here. If my college-aged self could see me today, I'd probably reflexively scoff, even though politically I considered myself totally unaware. Almost like an "unconscious bias" towards liberalism, if you will.

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
I have a comment to make about university and academics, can't sleep it is bothering me so much. Probably belongs more in this thread than this one

I have two university degrees both in STEM areas but really do wish I never went. I wasted my 20s and it was the brainwashing of the previous generations which compelled me to do it. Of course I have worked in it, have some personal interest and it has opened some doors, I have some respect for the various science and engineering fields but still doubt it was a good way to spend my best years.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. The thing keeping me up is that I seem to have really developed a strong grudge or prejudice against academics and people with Ph.D.'s. I have just seen businesses fail or never get off the ground whenever the founder has an academic background. In the last year some people I know considered buying cheaply a business started and run by academics which had received millions in funding. Part of the deal to buy this business was that the existing staff stay on at high salaries. They decided against buying it, actually I also helped talk them out of it.

The people who have truly created something special or changed the world, be it in science, engineering, business music or the arts typically did not go to university. They did what they did in their attic, atelier, office, laboratory, workshop, garage. They had extreme focus and personal ability and were motivated without having to go to some kind of institutionalised place of study. Newton, Edison, Torvalds are some names which come to mind from the technical fields, people with almost magical qualities about them.

Universities themselves used to be much more elitist places. Maybe they had a better role in society back then than they do now. So it fits with the title of the thread that the modern form of university which is generally not so elitist is inherently liberal.

So if those places are all about equal opportunity rather than a place for the extremely few with extraordinary abilities, one of the products is an empowered "expert" with a Ph.D and a massive ego. These people do harm in more ways than just starting businesses which lose money. They are also advisors who give bad advice.

I should not generalise - I know some fantastic skilled characters from universities but just wanted to share this prejudice.

Something not right about people sitting up an ivory tower studying all manner of useless things in infinite detail year after year. I can't believe that once upon a time that was more strongly a part of my world. Maybe I'm getting nasty flashbacks as a project with an academic flavour was shoved in my direction recently and I couldn't bring myself to say no.

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I should not generalise - I know some fantastic skilled characters from universities but just wanted to share this prejudice.
I don't see it as much of a prejudice as it is understanding what goes on, by and large, with such a system and what it produces.

The reason medicine (I trained in it) became the way it is is due to similar reasons. Behemoth systems that are pushed to be larger and more "important" over time, because the "culture' deems it so. Do you know how much of medicine is a big picture waste of time? Most around here realized how it has been institutionally and governmentally captured; that much is obvious. It's the same shit. There are good doctors but most are just human algorithm machines that because they make a good living think they know more even when they can't answer criticisms from colleagues, who they gang up on, or laymen who they can lord it over (as "experts").

The classic currently is the idiot who treats someone at the hospital and thinks that a jab would have "saved everyone", when in reality what would have saved more and most is the use of real treatment like ivermectin or HCQ, among other drugs - early in disease or as prophylaxis. And telling people not to be fat or this is what happens once every 50 years or when someone plans to create a quasi bio terror element in a lab. But no, smart peon doctor thinks that treating a diabetic 38 year old is an anecdote that somehow changes the fact that 99% of people at a minimum encounter sarscov2 and exactly zero happens apart from a cough or mild flu symptoms. You can't help this kind of emotional thinking, laziness, ego, and stupidity. And it's very common, often a bizarre form of narcissism combined with a substitution of "I'm a good person" who doesn't actually believe in anything cosmically, in this world or the next. Did I forget to mention that said "expert" gets to tell people how good he is on social media, pat friends on the back, or chide a friend on a text messaging chain when he calls this BS rightly for what it is? Clown world just shows you to keep your distance, there's only so much we can do, and most aren't willing to engage with the truth.

ZachThePapist

Chicken
Trad Catholic
I’ve been having issues deciding on a career. It’s got me really depressed and unfortunately lots of despair, anger, angst, and envy against people my own age or around my age that seem to be doing well or are happy. (Oh why does this person have all the time and money in the world to travel? I’m stuck working at Circle K cleaning up the vomit from a drug abuser who couldn’t make it to the bathroom.)

I’m much into history and geography but majoring in that sounds like a complete waste of time and money, and it’s gone full woke just like all the humanities. You can learn those on your own via library and online for free. There’s just not much professionally you can get into without a piece of paper from a college. I’m not so well with my hands, so trades are doubtful but profitable. Idk what I’m doing otherwise with unskilled jobs that drain the life out of you for little pay and much grief.

This is something I’m praying on, especially this Lent. I’m offering up my “suffering”, my listless wandering, to God. May He show me the way He wants me to be on.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Besides STEM, if you do a social/cultural studies uni will set you way back in your pursuit of the truth with all the nonsense and delusion you're fed about how the world works.

CaliforniaBased

Woodpecker
Catholic
Besides STEM, if you do a social/cultural studies uni will set you way back in your pursuit of the truth with all the nonsense and delusion you're fed about how the world works.
In engineering , people are very apolitical. Also many smaller state schools have quite apolitical student bodies. Ironically, the more uneducated/poorer the students the more apolitical and socially conservative they are.

Cynllo

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
Some info on the growing requirements to prove a background in left-wing dogma to get a job in university-

Parmesan

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I think community college is good to start at because you get a mix of ages and student types and you are right, I think a lot of people want to go to giant schools because of their party and sports scene. Choosing a university because they have a good football team doesn't seem wise to me.

The USA is ridiculous in having college sponsored sports teams. Why should a student get a scholarship because he is good at throwing a ball through a hoop? I think sports are great for recreation and health purposes, but sports scholarships make no sense.
Ironically, it's conservatives that largely sustain the collegiate (pro... but not pro) athletic system, both as alumni and students, who donate, buy tickets, and advocate for more football stadiums and such. Most of your more leftist type of students would happily cancel all male sports. College football is arguably bigger than pro in some places, certainly the South with schools like Alabama and Clemson. Even some high schools in Texas are notorious for spending millions on mini-stadiums for their football teams.

Last edited:

Pasako

Chicken
Oriental Orthodox
I don't see it as much of a prejudice as it is understanding what goes on, by and large, with such a system and what it produces.

The reason medicine (I trained in it) became the way it is is due to similar reasons. Behemoth systems that are pushed to be larger and more "important" over time, because the "culture' deems it so. Do you know how much of medicine is a big picture waste of time? Most around here realized how it has been institutionally and governmentally captured; that much is obvious. It's the same shit. There are good doctors but most are just human algorithm machines that because they make a good living think they know more even when they can't answer criticisms from colleagues, who they gang up on, or laymen who they can lord it over (as "experts").

The classic currently is the idiot who treats someone at the hospital and thinks that a jab would have "saved everyone", when in reality what would have saved more and most is the use of real treatment like ivermectin or HCQ, among other drugs - early in disease or as prophylaxis. And telling people not to be fat or this is what happens once every 50 years or when someone plans to create a quasi bio terror element in a lab. But no, smart peon doctor thinks that treating a diabetic 38 year old is an anecdote that somehow changes the fact that 99% of people at a minimum encounter sarscov2 and exactly zero happens apart from a cough or mild flu symptoms. You can't help this kind of emotional thinking, laziness, ego, and stupidity. And it's very common, often a bizarre form of narcissism combined with a substitution of "I'm a good person" who doesn't actually believe in anything cosmically, in this world or the next. Did I forget to mention that said "expert" gets to tell people how good he is on social media, pat friends on the back, or chide a friend on a text messaging chain when he calls this BS rightly for what it is? Clown world just shows you to keep your distance, there's only so much we can do, and most aren't willing to engage with the truth.
I would argue in the sense that it's not the flu, I had a hard time with it, almost died.

Pasako

Chicken
Oriental Orthodox
Actually, I became more traditional when I attended community college both relating to the college experience and living in a poor neighborhood (which made me less sympathetic for the urban poor). The university seemed more liberal than the community college even though they were in the same city, but it was nowhere near as leftist as Yale or UC Berkeley and I rarely noticed political/sjw stuff. Some experiences in higher education that shifted me more traditional: My biology teacher stated his belief that life begins at conception because we all start as cells. He didn't state his stance on abortion, but I doubt he supports it. My accounting teacher's comments regarding minimum wage planted the seed that convinced me to no longer support minimum wage. The geology professor at my university showed Al Gore's video BUT he also showed a video that questioned Al Gore's video so we had both sides AND he also stated he believes in the 2nd video and that planting trees would do more than ideas like banning black paint in cars (which California considered).

Most teachers I had didn't openly state their political views or show them which I liked. The history teacher even stated why he won't tell anybody even when asked. He didn't want any student to feel uncomfortable for having different views. This is very professional, I think.

My college and university were mostly locals and the university is not the main one in the state. I know the main one in the state is super liberal despite the state being somewhat conservative overall. I was also a commuter student and attended after the military. Traditional students that live at or near campus and attend right after high school might have different experiences. By the way, I also tried to write something similar once. But then it turned out that this idea exactly like mine had already been described by another author, and the publisher clearly pointed me to plagiarism. That is why it is important to be unique. If you too will write something then better here plagiarism checker for students https://fixgerald.com/ check just the same to plagiarize your text and already then quietly can pass texts to publishers. Because you can get a bad reputation plagiarist, as here it turned out personally with me. I hope that you will be useful. I think people should work 1-2 years before college or work and attend classes part-time to gain maturity and appreciate college better.
I agree with that, I've gone down essentially the same path and have come to appreciate college education a lot more.

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I would argue in the sense that it's not the flu, I had a hard time with it, almost died.
Your particular experience doesn't deny the data and epidemiology of this disease. The key difference may be that since it was different, it required different (early, cheap) therapies. But it still is a flu for most people, that is a fact. Population data is something that clarifies bias (if it happened to my loved one it's 100% mortality!); that's all I'm saying.