Unwanted early morning awakenings/maintenance insomnia- how to fix?

In the past 4-5 days most of the time I would be waking up about an hour or two earlier than I'd like. I already wake up quite early normally, (6-7) and sleep earlyish(11-12) but recently I just get up around 5. My heart would be racing and I might be the wrong temperature and I'd be jolted awake. The problem is I'd still feel tired and sleep deprived. Then I'd have to try to nap or sleep earlier to make up for the deficit.

I'd like to fix the problem it's lowering my productivity, and feelings of wellbeing but it just feels totally out of my control.

Edit: this might be related to renovations happening in an apartment above me, which is very stressful during the day. But it had been happening for a while and this was recent.

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Hey, maybe a pair of earplugs will help. Your issue sounds pretty serious, but these could be a step in the right direction (just don't use them long term as your ears might produce too much wax).

I occasionally use earplugs and have a really deep sleep whenever I do as all I can hear is my own breathing.

Actually weirdly it's not super noisy during the night as the renovations happen in work hours, but I've still always been putting earplugs in to sleep(even before this), and now to the renovations. So I still have the problem even if it's quiet, but it might be the dread in the future.

Thinking of moving but I hate change and moving in general.

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I'd grab some:

Magnesium as it's needed for a ton of enzymes to work properly. It promotes muscle relaxation & deep sleep.

Potato starch. I wrote about this here: https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/sleep.37245/page-2#post-1352963
Weird hack, but it works. On the off chance it doesn't improve your sleep, it's really cheap.

Vitamin D in case you're not getting enough Sunlight or Vit D thru food. Great for general health. Might help you to not feel so cold so you can open your window and not shiver.

Anyway, I hope the reno stops soon.

Currently I use transdermal magnesium. although not super regularly, maybe once a fortnight or so. I've felt less of a need in central Europe vs NZ, but maybe I should use it more still. I will probably look into potato starch.

I go in the sun a lot, but wonder how vitamin D helps with not feeling cold.

I spend the vast majority of my time on screens. Perhaps close to 10 hours a day on introverted days. Maybe as low as 5 if I'm doing something. However I have f.lux which should prevent the blue light. And I believe it would have the opposite problem where I struggle to go to sleep in the first place, instead of waking up really early.

Hypno

Crow
Sometimes this is a mental thing. It sounds like your body is subconsciously makiong adrenalin in the morning. Happens to me occassinally.

It was happening to me once for about a week, then we had the time change, and I thought it would fix it, but after a day my body adjusted and I was still involuntarily getting up an hour earlier. Eventually it went away.

It could also be traffic noise and vibrations. I live close to a busy road and I often wake up 5 minutes after the hour, like 6:05, when the traffic picks up.

Supplements might help. Reducing stress might help. I find making "To do" lists helps me reduce stress. If I write something down, Im able to give myself permission to put it out of my mind.

Rob Banks

Pelican
The same thing happens to me. My sleep schedule is very messed up.

For some reason, when I get into the habit of going to sleep at 4 or 5 AM every morning, I usually sleep until 2 or 3 PM no problem. But when I finally fix that and get to sleep at 10 PM one night, I will wake up at 1 or 2 AM and not be able to get back to sleep. Then, when the sun rises, I get sleepy again.

I think it is because I've spent much of my life on a f**cked up sleep schedule (whether it was due to unemployment/idleness or working the night shift) that my body has become used to getting sleepy when the sun is out and being awake at night.

I swear to God, I will fall asleep at 10 PM, wake up at 1 AM, be wide awake until the sun rises, and then get sleepy as soon as I see the sun. It is very weird.

Reactions: Sgt

ilostabet

Pelican
Currently I use transdermal magnesium. although not super regularly, maybe once a fortnight or so. I've felt less of a need in central Europe vs NZ, but maybe I should use it more still. I will probably look into potato starch.

I go in the sun a lot, but wonder how vitamin D helps with not feeling cold.

I spend the vast majority of my time on screens. Perhaps close to 10 hours a day on introverted days. Maybe as low as 5 if I'm doing something. However I have f.lux which should prevent the blue light. And I believe it would have the opposite problem where I struggle to go to sleep in the first place, instead of waking up really early.
Well, I'm not a fancy scientist who will give you studies and stuff. I'm only going on common sense, that artificial light screws up people - especially when you are looking at it directly. Imagine if we spent some time right before sleep looking directly at a light bulb, even a yellow light one. Can't be good for you. Yet, this is what people do now, in the form of screens (and using f.lux might be better than not using it, but it's not better than just turning off all screens an hour or so before you go to sleep - at minimum).

Also, if you aren't doing it, turn off all wifi and if possible do not sleep near your phone.

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
I've always been a light sleeper but in the past few years I wake up at 3am on the dot almost every night. Doesn't matter when I go to sleep, what I eat, and we even investigated to see if there was something happening at that time each night but nothing. You could literally set your watch to it.

I finally accepted this is what my body wants to do. Maybe it's a part of getting older, I'm not sure. However, one thing does make it "better," in the sense that I can choose whether I want to drift back to sleep relatively quickly or get up and work.

As cheesy as it sounds: a routine wind-down schedule. I think it matters less about screens and it's better to just have a schedule that puts you "in the mood."

Mine is taking time out to check my stress levels and get in a state of calm, time with family, light reading. Room should be dark, cool, and inviting. If I wake up, I'm not allowed to check my phone or ruminate on the past or future. It's either re-center to that calm state and drift off or get up and work. If I don't drift off within 20 or 25 minutes, I get up and work until I'm tired again.

yeah @Hypno I think you're right about adrenaline, that sounds right. I'm not sure why exactly though.

Probably traffic picks up around 6, so it might be, and it probably was always like that. Still, can't rule it out, I imagine it still gets noisy/street lights at 5 though.

I wonder what I would do to relieve boredom before sleep if I can't use screens though. At that point I would just be tempted to sleep earlier.

Can't turn off wifi as it's a shared apartment. My phone is about 2 metres from me as that's where my work desk is in relation to my bed, but I turn airplane mode on, so I wonder if that helps.

It might be a getting older thing, though I'm still quite young. I've talked to two of my friends overseas and they also had this issue.

And I already have used the bright light therapy, it did help my sleep schedule to be good to a normal/healthy morning person routine. However I can't see it fixing the wakeups.

Hypno

Crow
yeah @Hypno
I wonder what I would do to relieve boredom before sleep if I can't use screens though. At that point I would just be tempted to sleep earlier.
If you are not tired then read.

If you are tired, listen to your body and sleep. As long as you are exercising, you probably cannot get too much sleep.

Lace em up

Woodpecker
I break nearly every rule when it comes to getting restful sleep.

Jolting awake after 2-3 hours and unable to drift back to sleep was becoming a serious issue for me.

Now when that happens I grab a small snack, drink some water, put on some background noise and lay back down.

Your brain only needs a few hours of rest but your body needs more.

Walking or running or any leg exercise, a few hours before bed, can make your body want to sleep longer and will reduce stress,

Stress is the worst way to burn off / waste energy.

All the outrage in the media can only create stress.

Avoid anything that peddles in outrage. (Tucker, Hannity, Shapiro etc...)

You must be constantly vigilant in avoiding outrage nowadays. These snippets of violence are the worst. Nearly every news source actively peddles outrage. After a while you'll recognize it before it can affect you and you can turn it off.

Speculation

Kingfisher
In the past 4-5 days most of the time I would be waking up about an hour or two earlier than I'd like. I already wake up quite early normally, (6-7) and sleep earlyish(11-12) but recently I just get up around 5. My heart would be racing and I might be the wrong temperature and I'd be jolted awake. The problem is I'd still feel tired and sleep deprived. Then I'd have to try to nap or sleep earlier to make up for the deficit.
If this was a chronic condition I would say that it is possible that this was Obstructive Sleep Apnea from those symptoms alone. Its unlikely in this case if its only been for the past week, but if you are chronically jolted awake with a pounding heart (adrenaline) at odd hours, there's a chance you haven't been breathing correctly while you sleep, making your blood oxygen drop and prompting your body waking you up so you don't suffocate. Other indicators could be weight gain (although this isn't always necessary as skinny guys and weightlifters get OSA too), snoring, fatigue and dreams of choking/drowning.

If this doesn't resolve itself, consider investigating OSA and take a sleep study. As above, this is unlikely based off it only being an issue for the past week. OSA is usually a creeping silent killer over years.

Magnesium glycinate + taurine has helped me with falling asleep recently. My problem was more with falling asleep, and not staying asleep, however. This combination is good because many people are low on magnesium anyway, plus taurine has a lot of good benefits associated with it. So even if it does not help you with sleeping, it will likely serve some benefit. Both are also inexpensive.