Vanguard Investment Portfolio

Pavel

Robin
Orthodox
I would like to start this forum for anyone holding funds with Vanguard, or at least considering to start an investment portfolio there. I am a newbie myself and would like to learn what are the best funds to invest.

There are tons of YouTube videos sharing their portfolios in details. I have a broad idea of 3-4 good funds to invest. However, the information available online is quite confusing.

Let's start this:
If you have a long term approach (let's say 10 years); what are the top 5 funds you would invest on Vanguard platform?
My first choice would be S&P 500 UCITS ETF (VUSA)

What are your top five funds? And why?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I hold VTI, I regret not dumping more in when I first bought it at $150, I also missed the dip last week when it went down to $193, it’s back up to $204 now. I also hold VXUS for international exposure and VFV, the Canadian version of VOO, the S&P 500 tracker.
Check out Bogleheads on Reddit if you haven’t already.

Pavel

Robin
Orthodox
I hold VTI, I regret not dumping more in when I first bought it at $150, I also missed the dip last week when it went down to $193, it’s back up to $204 now. I also hold VXUS for international exposure and VFV, the Canadian version of VOO, the S&P 500 tracker.
Check out Bogleheads on Reddit if you haven’t already.
Thanks. Just checking Bogleheads.

Also I checked VTI and we don't have this fund in the UK. VTI is essentially a U.S. TMI fund.

I also searched for Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (VXUS) and couldn't find any UK equivalent. Maybe I need to do more research.

And I see your point on Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF. This is one of the funds I have an eye on.

So far let's agree on S&P 500 UCITS ETF which I think worth investing.

sp500 is good, total diversification, good divs, low fees.

i like to scale in when low and sell out when it tops, i refuse to buy in at the top like it is now, prefer money market for bi week pay in

i suppose it is all funny money, just not funny when you have none. best of luck!

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I was planning on doing a 80/20% split between VTI and VXUS but decided to heavier on the VTI, so far that's been a good choice as VTI has been the best performing ETF I hold other that my PSLV silver one, the only non-Vanguard ETF I hold. I don't particularly enjoy investing so have these in a retirement fund that I don't plan on touching for 20-25 years.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
Vanguard has a wide variety of funds in terms of sectors and geographic locations. Would suggest you develop a larger macro framework first rather than worry about specific funds to invest in. Do you think the U.S. stock market will continue to do well despite historical overvaluations? What about emerging markets? What about tech sector vs. energy sector? Are you paying attention to geopolitical developments and the politics of stimulus and Fed moves? Those all can have impacts on where you want to put your money. These are some basic questions that you should think about, and if you don't want to think too much then you can just do a blind investment in VTSAX & VXUS to get wide exposure and your performance will mirror the broader market, with all the risks and benefits that entails.

Suggest following Lyn Alden to get some basic ideas. https://www.lynalden.com/contrarian-investing/

aynrus

Pelican
There's a site that provides a lot of modeling and historical performance on various portfolio compositions (I personally like GoldenButterfly, as it's a combo of least risk + most growth balanced):

And you can build your own portfolio with different types of assets and see it back-tested against earlier decades and see future expectations (charts showing drawdown, range of outcomes, volatility, growth, entry timing-sensitivity, etc):

Pavel

Robin
Orthodox
This is fantastic. Let me dig in.
There's a site that provides a lot of modeling and historical performance on various portfolio compositions (I personally like GoldenButterfly, as it's a combo of least risk + most growth balanced):

And you can build your own portfolio with different types of assets and see it back-tested against earlier decades and see future expectations (charts showing drawdown, range of outcomes, volatility, growth, entry timing-sensitivity, etc):

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Vanguard is where I have my IRA as well as all of my taxable investments outside of my employer's 401(k) plan. Vanguard has a mutual fund for just about every market sector or security you can think of. Their index and targeted retirement funds are especially easy to use if you would rather be a passive, rather than active investor. They also have ETFs, which are mutual funds you can hold and trade like stocks.

Vanguard rewards you leaving your money parked in their funds and not moving it around trying to time the market by offering "admiral shares" to people who keep their balance above a certain amount without too many exchanges or withdrawals. The admiral shares gives you a slightly better return.

I suggest opening an IRA with Vanguard and, if you want to be an active investor, start a portfolio of both high yield income stocks and bonds and "growth" funds. Their higher-yielding income funds would be:

- High dividend yield index fund (VHYAX)
- Long term bond index fund (VBLAX)
- Inflation protected securities (VIPSX)
- High yield tax exempt fund (VWALX)- Use this fund outside of your IRA as its distributions are tax free. I've used this fund as basically a savings account and it has returned an average of 5% interest a year, which is way, way better than any bank savings accounts or CDs right now

Growth funds:
- Small cap growth (VSGAX)
- Growth index fund (VIGAX)
- Mid-cap index fund (VIMAX)
- Real estate index fund (VGSLX)
- Tax-managed small cap fund (VTMSX)
- U.S. Growth fund (VWUAX)
- Windsor and Windsor II funds (VWNDX and VWNFX)

I don't necessarily suggest that you invest in all of those funds. If you do, you're basically building your own "fund of funds" which Vanguard already offers with other funds like their STAR portfolio fund. What I've done, is when the market is down, I'll move some money into a small cap fund, because small companies usually do well during a new bull market. Then, I'll transfer it to the mid and large cap growth funds during a more mature bull market, and then take some profits by moving some of it back into the high-yield funds and hold them there during market downturns.

Or, you can just by a target retirement fund, in which you choose a fund with the year of your projected retirement date, and then just leave your money in it. The fund manager will automatically rebalance the fund's holdings as the years go by.

@jonNorth

To be honest the nation, patriotism and all that...it's deader then JFK. At this point the goal should simply be to extract as much from the carcass as you can and retire elsewhere to do all the things that you either can't do here or that are really stupid to do here (like marry a woman and have a family).

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Previously employing thousands of white collar American jobs at its headquarters in Chester County, PA, in the past decade Vanguard has offshored a huge portion of its operations and on-shored nearly all the rest to H1-Bs.

We have the ability to make small conscious decisions not to support these types of things that are literally killing the nation

If ya can’t beat em, join em!

@jonNorth

To be honest the nation, patriotism and all that...it's deader then JFK. At this point the goal should simply be to extract as much from the carcass as you can and retire elsewhere to do all the things that you either can't do here or that are really stupid to do here (like marry a woman and have a family).
I feel ya, didn't mean to guilt anyone for trying to better their lives. I bought something from Amazon yesterday. Very hard to beat the system. Think I'm done with Vanguard though

aynrus

Pelican
By the way one can scrape mutual fund's holdings...
This page allows to sort funds by highest returns, over 1,5,10 years, by asset class:
Then go to SEC site:
- can use Fast Search box, enter ticker there, say VWUSX:
On the left will be series link, like this:
S000004444
Under it will be a buch of monthly porfolio reports NPORT-X, and though not each of these links but most will contain a link to NPORT-EX filing, looking like this
It will have all holdings (there's a delay though):

Last edited: