Vanguard Investment Portfolio

Hypno

Crow
Vanguard is a mutual fund company. They are famous for indexing and low fees. You can open an account with them.

Their mutual funds probably have ticker symbols that you can buy through another broker, but you likely will pay more if you do that.

The point of vanguard is indexing. They have a lot of offerings, so don't just stop with the S&P 500 - you can add funds that track global equities, emerging markets, bonds, etc.

But read up on the difference between a value weighted index and a balanced index -- the S&P 500 doesn't have an equal amount of all 500 companies! https://www.morningstar.com/articles/908611/the-trouble-with-market-cap-weighting

Pavel

Sparrow
Vanguard is a mutual fund company. They are famous for indexing and low fees. You can open an account with them.

Their mutual funds probably have ticker symbols that you can buy through another broker, but you likely will pay more if you do that.

The point of vanguard is indexing. They have a lot of offerings, so don't just stop with the S&P 500 - you can add funds that track global equities, emerging markets, bonds, etc.

But read up on the difference between a value weighted index and a balanced index -- the S&P 500 doesn't have an equal amount of all 500 companies! https://www.morningstar.com/articles/908611/the-trouble-with-market-cap-weighting
Thanks for your explanation. What do you say about these funds I have picked up?
1613085693822.png

Pavel

Sparrow
Finally; here is the 5 funds I am going to invest in. Each weights 20%
1613433484252.png

My main focus is US stock market. In terms of Geographical regions we are 65% US, 10% Europe, 10% pacific region and the rest are dedicated for the rest of the world including Middle East (remember Israel has a growing tech hub).

Any feedback is appreciated.

HKBhusal

Sparrow
I would like to start this forum for anyone holding funds with Vanguard, or at least considering to start an investment portfolio there. I am a newbie myself and would like to learn what are the best funds to invest.

There are tons of YouTube videos sharing their portfolios in details. I have a broad idea of 3-4 good funds to invest. However, the information available online is quite confusing.

Let's start this:
If you have a long term approach (let's say 10 years); what are the top 5 funds you would invest on Vanguard platform?
My first choice would be S&P 500 UCITS ETF (VUSA)

What are your top five funds? And why?

I have held Vanguard's VWENX wellington fund for retirement for a couple years now. Although it is actively managed, it is vanguard's oldest mutual fund, and has had high reviews over the years... great overall I would say, with a steady rate of return of 10.5% a year. Decent mix of value stocks and bonds.

That being said I recently divested it, after the conservative purge since this mutual fund has a bunch of holdings in big tech, google, facebook, etc.

Additionally, with the "impending dollar collapse" (not sure when it will happen, but I do think it's a thing) I don't think holding much money in the stock market is a sound strategy. The fiat currency system will for sure collapse. This means the paper dollar will be devalued significantly (maybe for pennies) and crypto currency, gold/silver/ etc will be revalued significantly. Hence, I rolled over my modern portfolio into a crypto IRA. Has paid well over the past couple weeks. (i.e ~40% rate of return in a few weeks versus the aforementioned VWENX ROR previously mentioned)

That being said I might consider just getting speculative cryto-mining penny stocks for fun, along with some investment in some bitcoin trusts. Morally speaking, I cannot support the big corporate stock indexes/MFs anymore.

**Not financial advisor/financial advice/do your own research/etc.**

Pavel

Sparrow
Finally; here is the 5 funds I am going to invest in. Each weights 20%
View attachment 29182

My main focus is US stock market. In terms of Geographical regions we are 65% US, 10% Europe, 10% pacific region and the rest are dedicated for the rest of the world including Middle East (remember Israel has a growing tech hub).

Any feedback is appreciated.
Since Feb till now I have been quiet faithful to this plan. My growth is not amazing (only 2%) in the last 3 months.

Penitent

Sparrow
I held Vanguard LIfeStrategy Growth Fund VASGX for 20 years then sold it this winter to invest in crypto. Despite my crypto portfolio being down about 50% this past month, it is still up 100% from January.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
I would like to start this forum for anyone holding funds with Vanguard, or at least considering to start an investment portfolio there. I am a newbie myself and would like to learn what are the best funds to invest.

There are tons of YouTube videos sharing their portfolios in details. I have a broad idea of 3-4 good funds to invest. However, the information available online is quite confusing.

Let's start this:
If you have a long term approach (let's say 10 years); what are the top 5 funds you would invest on Vanguard platform?
My first choice would be S&P 500 UCITS ETF (VUSA)

What are your top five funds? And why?
I have money with vanguard but am selling because I think mutual funds are the worst possible place to hold your money during periods of hyperinflation

Stocks, commodities, crypto are all much safer right now when you consider inflation
Look at the increases in the cost in essentials like food, gas, labor and decide for yourself

Pavel

Sparrow
I held Vanguard LIfeStrategy Growth Fund VASGX for 20 years then sold it this winter to invest in crypto. Despite my crypto portfolio being down about 50% this past month, it is still up 100% from January.
20 years? Sir you are a veteran in this game. We need to learn from you. I'm a three month investor :)

unit414

Sparrow
Because they don't care once they have your money. Are the low fees worth it?
Because they don't care??? What does that even mean? I have heard peeps claim that their customer service leaves something to be desired, but I've had no problem with them. Vanguard's fund selection, performance, and very low fees are absolutely worth it. Those low fees really save you money over a period of years.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've been trading penny stocks (stocks generally priced at below $5) through my Roth IRA with Vanguard for almost three months now and it has been a lot of fun. Their stock trading dashboard is really easy to use. I've cashed out a few shares from my bond and growth mutual funds to play with in penny stocks. I'm up to about 70 penny stocks now. I'm just using play-around money that I can generally afford to lose and doing it for something to do. I've posted some of my deep-dives/attempts at due diligence in the penny stock thread. The only problem with Vanguards brokerage services is that so far the average-share-price calculator doesn't seem to be working for me. That's the formula that tells you the average price of your shares for a particular holding if you've bought them in more than one batch at different share prices.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
You wrote "If you cant beat em join em"

(((They))) dont work on Saturdays

I guess I thought that with "all the jooz, all the time" around here meant someone would get it. ;)
Haha, I'm a bit out of the loop, I've only ever met one or two of (((them)) in my life, I guess since I grew up in a remote fishing village and work with my hands for a living, my chances of coming across the chosen people are pretty slim.