Video games

Felix88

Kingfisher
Everything in life is a waste of time one way or another. Video games are on a massive decline nowsaday though, back in the day they provided good challenges also more freedom instead of corridors. I can't stand Fallout 3 and its writing, thank god for New Vegas bring back some memories from 1&2, the engine is still sucks thought.

Playing game while working on text game, win win.

Cr33pin said:
I am currently burning up GTA 5, after I am done with it I think Im gonna go ahead an wrap up the Mass Effect series by finally playing Mass Effect 3. I been waiting to see if they are gonna do a GOTY with it so I can haz all the DLC but I havent seen it...

I jumped the shark after finishing ME3 a couple months ago. It did get me through post surgery, but there's nothing else that will match it now.

Bricks said:
End was a bit disappointing to be honest. Its quite easy to blow through the game being ruthless, and you miss quite a few opportunity's from doing so.

I end up playing the "good guy" due to it being generally harder. I'd rather be a dick in real life. :angel:

iop890 said:
Why are you guys playing Fallout 3 instead of glorious Fallout: New Vegas master race, where you can put the beat down on the feminist NCR?

Felix88 said:
Everything in life is a waste of time one way or another. Video games are on a massive decline nowsaday though, back in the day they provided good challenges also more freedom instead of corridors. I can't stand Fallout 3 and its writing, thank god for New Vegas bring back some memories from 1&2, the engine is still sucks thought.

Playing game while working on text game, win win.

Everyone told me Fallout: New Vegas sucked balls. Haven't considered picking it up. The whole series though is still one of the best open sandbox genres made.

Felix88

Kingfisher
Aliblahba said:
Everyone told me Fallout: New Vegas sucked balls. Haven't considered picking it up. The whole series though is still one of the best open sandbox genres made.

Depend on what you mean by everyone, the new generation hate everything doesn't hold their hands every second. Almost everything in New Vegas has some thoughts put in them and the world actually make sense instead of 'lol head exploding, nuclear gun awesome(TM)'.

Bricks said:
End was a bit disappointing to be honest. Its quite easy to blow through the game being ruthless, and you miss quite a few opportunity's from doing so.
I end up playing the "good guy" due to it being generally harder. I'd rather be a dick in real life. :angel:

Did not see this coming from you lol.

iop890 said:
Why are you guys playing Fallout 3 instead of glorious Fallout: New Vegas master race, where you can put the beat down on the feminist NCR?

This term gets me every time.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
Aliblahba said:
I have always played one game at a time, but right now have some loose ends. Just started back on Fallout 3, as I'd bought the GOTY but for some stupid reason thought you had to finish the main story line before the DLC's.

you have to finish the main mission to get to broken steel in fo3

As for new vegas, it is probably my all time favorite game. I got the goty version on steam on a sale so i would definitely suggest picking it up for $5 during the winter sale for the new vegas ultimate edition

When it was released, it was really buggy but that was all fixed in later patches so that shouldn't be an issue at this point.

Felix88 said:
Depend on what you mean by everyone, the new generation hate everything doesn't hold their hands every second. Almost everything in New Vegas has some thoughts put in them and the world actually make sense instead of 'lol head exploding, nuclear gun awesome(TM)'.

Agreed. This is causing game quality to go down.

Bricks said:
Did not see this coming from you lol.

Playing the good guy usually ads more to the game. I think playing evil and just slashing away through the game is made for kids that don't enjoy good game play.

master_thespian said:
you have to finish the main mission to get to broken steel in fo3

Haven't played the game in almost 2 1/2 years. All I know is I'm in Point Lookout, just hit level 23, can't find dogmeat, and have a massive stash of weapons somewhere but I can't remember where the fuck it its.

Other games I've started in the last few months:

Final Fantasy XIII- Wtf? Don't think I can finish it. Worst ever in the series. Fuckin' linear bullshit and drama story line. Coming from Japan, I feel for their culture if it is at all any representation. 2/10 don't wanna play.

Gears of War- I despise fps's. Gay. Won't finish.

Elder Scrolls IV- Great but the game is "low and slow". I get about 30-40 minutes into it and get bored.

Bioshock Infinite- Another fps. And weird as hell. Probably gonna get too hard to finish, so I'll just watch the end on Youtube. Fuck'em.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
I find myself now more into just reading game reviews and gaming news then actually playing video games now. Its kind of strange.

Although a few months ago when I got sick in Peru I boarded myself up in my room and played the shit out of Dragon Age Inquisition.
An I always enjoy playing some GTA-5

Soothesayer

Woodpecker
Seems like a few here aren't playing the right games.

If you're a writer trying to make a living from fiction, check out the following RPGs:

Planescape
Fallout 1 or 2
Ultima 7
Baldur's Gate

The writing in those games surpassed 85% of the fantasy novels I'd read in my life (with the exception of Piers Anthony). I learned Character Voice--how to make characters sound distinct. I couldn't have learned this skill playing some bland game like Skyrim or Pillars of Eternity. If you play either of these games then you will know bad writing (and bad character voice) when you see it.

I also learned tons of other writing tricks: deceiving the reader (mystery), pacing, making things get worse for the main character (having bad things happen, since books where nothing bad happens to him are BORING), setting, WORLD BUILDING (very important for both thrillers and fantasy), many other writing skills.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
I need to withdraw from them, its a bad habit.

Considering my circumstances with them I have for the most part kept them to times where I am doing absolutely nothing but that nothing should be filled with filling my head with useful stuff.

Honorable Man

Woodpecker
Oh man, glad to see so many people getting informed about Fallout: New Vegas here. On the PC and with mods, it is easily the best open world game I've ever played. In comparison Fallout 3 is a boring tunnel simulator. If you have a gaming PC and would like to add the right mods, feel free to send me a pm.

I'm actually saving up to build a PC to run Fallout: New Vegas and XCOM: Enemy Within (the Long War mod, of course) and I would also like to stream/record my playing and upload it online. It seems like a good hobby and potentially a great way to earn an income. Those are my two favorite games from the last generation and I haven't seen anything that has really sparked my interest from this new one.

In fact, I sold my consoles recently and I'm currently playing the mobile version of XCOM: Enemy Within on my 3rd generation iPad. Other than that, I don't really play games right now. But the two I mentioned are absolute classics and I don't see playing them as being wasted time in any way.

Honorable Man

Woodpecker
Soothesayer said:
I also learned tons of other writing tricks: deceiving the reader (mystery), pacing, making things get worse for the main character (having bad things happen, since books where nothing bad happens to him are BORING), setting, WORLD BUILDING (very important for both thrillers and fantasy), many other writing skills.

I would immediately add Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic to the list of games that handle these aspects in a masterful way.

It hurts to see what BioWare has become.

iop890

Peacock
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
Cr33pin said:
played the shit out of Dragon Age Inquisition.

How was that? I liked Dragon Age Origins but thought the expansion and sequel were dog shit. Is Inquisition worth giving the series another chance?

I regret none of the time I spent as a teenager playing games online with my friends, I had a lot of laughs.

These days though I can't find a game that holds my attention for more than 10 minutes. Every one of them involves endless amounts of repetition. I enjoy playing competitive games (racing/fighting/sports) for brief periods in a social setting, that's it.

Easy_C

Peacock
Since I've got more time than i can use productively right now (I'm getting ready to move into a top-tier MBA program), I've been messing around with a few. It's fantastic how...BORING most of the games nowadays are. They're clearly trying to achieve the same effect of a repeated dopamine high rather than providing an interesting setting or story.

I have been working on the Witcher 2 again, since I only played one path the first time I had it installed and I'd like to have a save ready for Witcher 3. I'd forgotten about how well constructed the game is and how ballsy the writers are: the usual SJW, de-humanizing, autistic crap that American writers insist on putting in their games is completely absent from CD Projekt Red.

Predictably the Witcher 3 has come under fire by SJW's. This time it's demeaning to women and there aren't enough minorities....because it makes so much sense that there would be black and asian people in a setting that's supposed to resemble fucking dark ages Poland. I checked by an old forum and there's a ton of people on there bitching about it and one educated soul that's fighting back:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140805&page=9

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
iop890 said:
Cr33pin said:
played the shit out of Dragon Age Inquisition.

How was that? I liked Dragon Age Origins but thought the expansion and sequel were dog shit. Is Inquisition worth giving the series another chance?

Its worth playing if you are into RPGs. Origins was my favorite of the series for sure, I played through it multiple times. Inquisition is huge and theres a ton of stuff to do. The combat system is pretty good as well. The story is not the most engaging story for a game but its enough to keep you invested. Its one of the best console RPGs out right now.... that may change with the Witcher 3 coming out in a few days.

WB

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
The internet is pretty pumped cause NFS looks like they are coming out with a new NFS Underground game. I liked the Underground games but its been 10 years since we have seen one. The Forza Horizon games are my favorite racers as of late.

Its crazy how far the graphics have came since I got my first NES and thought a little blocky plumber eating shrooms was the coolest shit ever.

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite racing game of all time
[img=600x600]http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...speed-most-wanted-20050810102919616.jpg[/img]

Aphex

Robin
Cr33pin said:
Its crazy how far the graphics have came since I got my first NES and thought a little blocky plumber eating shrooms was the coolest shit ever.

Dude, no shit. I remember when I first plugged in my NES and played Mario. I thought it was fucking amazing. Got a Xbox One recently and been playing a bit. Kind of in a wierd limbo in my life at the moment, not sure where to go from here. Considering getting The Witcher. Reviews are raving over that shit.

teh_skeeze

Pelican
I love how an anti-gaming thread turned into a gaming thread!!1

I'm currently playing MKX and RBI 15, usually played when friends come over.

Tuthmosis said:
Pretty much anything digital that keeps you from real-life interaction is a waste of your time and resources, which you could you be using to improve the quality of your life or interactions. To a certain degree this is true for Facebook, online dating, mindless Internet surfing, and their ilk.

The biggest thing I miss as a gamer are the arcades. As much as I hate Dance Dance Revolution, I did have fun watching the girls play it.

CJ_W

Pelican
D. Goodnuts said:
I used to play video games for hours. I was getting low quality ass during those days. I ditched the games and devoted those hours to learning about things that improve life, i.e. languages, commodities, women, business, fitness, dieting.

My quality of ass shot through the roof.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Meh, I used to play games when I was younger, now I don't. I'm not going to spout some holier than thou stuff about it, I didn't have any epiphanies or whatever, I just lost interest, if anything it just felt like a natural progression. I couldn't play them now even if I tried. . .oh well. Funny thing is, there are people who play games, and make millions of dollars and obviously get tons of ass, KsoOlijdeet or whatever his name is is an example, the dude BOUGHT a penthouse suite in london and a labrogini(sp?) from his profits form playing games on youtube or whatever. he's also in great shape and has tons of fans worldwide.

Maybe there there's a lesson to be learned somewhere there.

Kristoph said:
I regret none of the time I spent as a teenager playing games online with my friends, I had a lot of laughs.

These days though I can't find a game that holds my attention for more than 10 minutes. Every one of them involves endless amounts of repetition. I enjoy playing competitive games (racing/fighting/sports) for brief periods in a social setting, that's it.

This is pretty much me.