Video games

Valentine

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Sseth is great, he put me on to SS13 about 8 months ago with his hilarious video review and I've been playing it ever since. Feels awesome once you get over that learning curve from going to being clueless of how to eat or smoke cigarettes to later being able to set up a singularity engine and purposefully releasing the black hole to murder 90 other players whilst you hide on Lavaland so you can complete your traitor objectives.

I made a post here when I started playing and my opinion hasn't changed, if anything the game feels even better now. Eight months on I know how to do most things in the game but there is still plenty of jobs I've put barely any playtime into like fighting megafauna, performing advanced surgery and developing viruses or nanites. The amount of content is insane but it's never overwhelming, you can just focus on one job (or none at all) and still have fun only playing that way.

Valentine said:
Been spending the last month playing Space Station 13 a lot. I think this is actually the best game I've ever played.

It's a 2D multiplayer (usually 30-90 players) roleplaying PC game where you're all crew members on a space station set hundreds of years into the future with jobs like cook, botanist, security, scientist, security officer, AI, cyborg, shaft miner and many more.

Except you might be one of the randomly selected antagonists for the round which could be anything from a secret traitor, to a xenomorph, cultist, wizard, changeling or many more different types. Whilst everyone else is trying to do their jobs, you may have objectives like stealing the Captain's antique laser gun, assasinating a crew member and hijacking the escape shuttle.

This review which has over a million views recently brought a bunch of new members to the community, check it out of you want a quick insight into the type of shenanigans you can get up to in the game:

The main thing about this game it is has similar depth to Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld, so it makes every job interesting and gives everyone many different ways to do things. Rounds usually last 30 to 90 mins and ends when the escape shuttle is called and all surviving crew leave the station to head back to the main base.

I've got many stories of various experiences that have happened to me but they can be long so I'll only share one for now and share more if anyone else requests them. I'd also recommend checking out the various SS13 videos for more stories.

[Full story]

Enoch

Ostrich
Watched the first 5 episodes of the Witcher series. Unfortunately the show-runner is a Jewish feminist and the subversion runs deep.

Lots of female power as expected, including a female queen easily dispatching male knights on the battlefield and getting Geralt to yield merely by pointing her sword at him.

Henry Cavill as Geralt is excellent. Very good sword fighting scenes as well. Doing as well as he can given the situation, IMO.

Main character, Yennefer, gets blacked early in the show. Nevertheless her acting was great and the casting fits the exotic beauty of Yennefer.

There are also black elves and the leader of the dryads is black. All the bad guys are white.

The showrunner is drunk on her own power. Avoid.

Sadly, because Netflix took a big budget stab at the source material there will probably never be a proper live action series.

Transsimian

Ostrich
Gold Member
Well, I've just finished watching the Witcher.

It's not as Woke as you make up. Most characters are realistic and morally unsimplistic. The biracial guy who has sex with Yen ends up betraying her trust in him. Queen Supergran stops at nothing to get out of bad deals.

There are two series villains, one European, one African, but they both have moments of honour and their own believable motivations for their actions.

They've kept the themes about the importance of family and of fertility.

As a fan of the games, there's only two things I didn't like, the casting of Triss(Why is it always the gingers getting blacked-up) and the on screen death of an important character from the games.

I really enjoyed The Witcher, though the season ended a bit more abruptly than I was expecting. Yes there is a bit of subversion but at the end of the day, you have to decide whether to hate everything and be miserable or let small stuff go in order to enjoy the bigger picture of the show.

Vienna

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Having read the books and played the games many times, I'm positively surprised by Netflix adaptation of The Witcher. It's great to see how a quality dark fantasy series is gaining such a large following. Sapkowski's source material is not easy to adapt and overall they've done a good job. Looking forward to season 2.

The good:

- Henry Cavill plays Geralt well and will surely settle into the role in coming seasons. You can tell he's trying to mimic Geralt's gravelly voice from the games though, with various success. Apparently, Cavill is an avid gamer (preferring a quiet night of Total War: Warhammer II to going out) and sought the role the moment he heard the series was green-lit. He was also adamant that Witcher Signs should get greater exposure in the series, which actually led to an increase in its CGI budget!

- Great fighting scenes overall.

- Yennefer and Triss are well-cast. Both are a shade darker than what I imagined, but I ain't complaining!

- Good production values. The environments are beautiful, and it's great that they chose to shoot on location in Poland and other spots in Eastern Europe, since the mythology is based on Slavic folk tales and legends. It all lends an added weight to atmosphere of the series.

- They've kept virtually all the names from the books and games. I compare with Game of Thrones, where characters were invented or had their names changed to dumb it down for the masses. The only "change" I found is that Dandelion is called Jaskier in the series; Jaskier being his original name in the Polish books, which I didn't know before. That shows, to me, that the people in charge of the project actually give a damn about doing a good job.

The bad:

- In my mind, dryads are supernatural beings and should've been CGI'd.

- Who the F designed the Nilfgaardian armor? Fire him/her/it before shooting the second season.

- The casting of Calanthe is, looks-wise, appalling. I like the way the actress plays her, but she just looks wrong. In the novels she's portrayed as an icy blonde warrior queen. Queen Supergran is an unfortunate but deserved epithet.

- This isn't necessarily bad, but when it comes to the dwarves they could learn a thing or two from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Elves are always easy to cast (find tall and pretty people) but dwarves and halflings are tougher to depict in a live-action movie or series. The guy playing Yarpen Zigrin is awesome though.

As you can tell, the good certainly outweighs the bad. And everyone's who's saying that "all the villains are white", well... Geralt and Ciri are literally as white as you can get, so...

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I must be weird but I could never get into FFVII. Final Fantasy X was the only game in the series that really grabbed me - that felt like a paradigm-shifting game when it came out in 2001. I also liked Chrono Trigger a lot when I played the PSX re-release a few years after that.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
I liked parts 6 and 7. Chrono trigger is one of the best games ever made, but don't play the psx version with its horrible load times. I will have to get a netflix account for a couple of months and watch the witcher.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I like 7 just fine, but it doesn’t really stand out all that much to me compared to 8, 9, 10, and 12. I just remember spending a ton of time breeding and racing chocobos. But I probably spent even more time playing blitzball in 10.

If you have any testosterone in your body at all, Tactics is clearly the best FF title from that period.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I played 7 about half way through on three separate occasions due to memory card failures before presuming either the game was cursed or I was.

Those old ps1 memory cards were a real minefield.

Transsimian

Ostrich
Gold Member
Vienna said:
I'm enjoying it.

They could have just took the easy route and filmed the books directly, but instead they restructured it to give the three main characters their own time-sperately but thematically fitting substories. Geralt's a great character, but a gruff outcast loner isn't enough to carry a multi-season show.

They expanded Yen's role and world without damaging the story. Women can actually be written well when the writer doesn't see femininity as weakness or inperfection as misogyny.

The armour was the worst part, Nilfgardian armour is riduculous, and even the full plate was laughingly ineffective during fights.

MichaelWitcoff said:
I hated blitzball until I understood it, and then spent more time playing it than the actual game
[img=960x480]https://i.imgur.com/QEWlLX2.jpg[/img]

Captainstabbin

Hummingbird
I like the way Yen's story in the Witcher mimics the modern woman. She chases power and influence (a career) at the expense of her fertility, then spends her later years lamenting the decision and trying to find a way to get it back.

I am not super knowledgeable on Witcher lore, but sorcerresses, beings with magic, are infertile regardless. Yennefer in the Witcher 3 is almost 100 years old or so. Magic keeps them young and beautiful. Modern woman has no such magic though. ;)

Vienna said:
- Who the F designed the Nilfgaardian armor? Fire him/her/it before shooting the second season.
They put as much SJW shit as they could get away with it.

As for the armor - they wanted to make it look like scrotums with penis-head-helmets because the team is comprised of a bunch of feminist marxist writers.

Even if they don't burn the series in the first season, then brace yourself, because in the second and third if there is one you will have your mind raped by the feminist SJW collective. It's the same Westworld spiel Hollywood plays - first season good with toned down propaganda and then out with the dildo and the rest of the insanity by the second season.

Yes - all Hollywood has to be avoided. Wasting your time with that shit is counter-productive. There are enough movies and series in history that you can watch until the end of your days until you are 120 and you will still have plenty of time.

I take a look at some productions out of morbid fascination of how far they will go this time or how much they have to pull back with gritted teeth (Mandalorian only getting his ass handed to him and living in a world of super-warrior-women everywhere).

If it was a Polish production with a bigger budget, then you might have gotten something decent just as local Indian productions for example are without agenda. But Hollywood for the Western sheeple, please.....

[img=999x700]https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...3209806de4294dfb31e2f37555057659420.png[/img]

What can you expect by a writing staff that has "patriarchy smasher" in their bio?

There is even a post somewhere of a guy who worked on Witcher series and he said that all the tri-gendered blue-haired were voting down their attempts to make cool or normal armors for the bad guys. They toned it down a bit in the end, but they honestly wanted them to look like walking dicks.

Look - their only goal is to demoralize, destroy and wipe out all Western and male myths. The problem is that they have to make you watch or there wouldn't be much deconstruction going on if they see Geralt gang-raped and tortured by 2 obese black women in the first scene. They would love to show that, but unfortunately have to wait for season 4 to give you that.

Captainstabbin

Hummingbird
LEMONed IScream said:
I am not super knowledgeable on Witcher lore, but sorcerresses, beings with magic, are infertile regardless. Yennefer in the Witcher 3 is almost 100 years old or so. Magic keeps them young and beautiful. Modern woman has no such magic though. ;)
I've only seen the series. In it, she has her uterus and ovaries removed as part of a spell to make her pretty and, thus, accepted into a court. She seems to think that's the only reason she's infertile because she tells some younger girls that the pretty-spell isn't worth it. Instead, they should have kids because the ability to give life is real power. Spoiler alert, they don't listen. In the show, despite a sacrifice like that, she STILL wears tons of makeup to be presentable.

Are the sorcerers and the witchers immortal? They often refer to living many lifetimes.

Donfitz007

Kingfisher
I haven’t read many of the books but the Witcher always had a strong feminist foundation. It’s just they made the rest of the material so good that it seems realistic. The women are always strong and the men are mostly the villains but they let the women show weakness and be immoral as well which leads to good development

Sorta like mass effect was ALWAYS SJW and liberal. The original mass effect had abortion questions, race questions, sex and gender questions etc and had very strong in your face women. But they did a good job at making it seem real and showing the pros and cons of everything. Where as andromeda was just a mess. Everything leaned left.

Well, they are not immortal per se, perhaps they mean many human lifetimes. They can live however hundreds of years. Witchers have a saying "No Witcher ever died in their bed." Essentially they don't die of old age. They keep hunting until they get killed. As for sorcerers, well they either die of old age or during some purge.

Captainstabbin said:
LEMONed IScream said:
I've only seen the series. In it, she has her uterus and ovaries removed as part of a spell to make her pretty and, thus, accepted into a court. She seems to think that's the only reason she's infertile because she tells some younger girls that the pretty-spell isn't worth it. Instead, they should have kids because the ability to give life is real power. Spoiler alert, they don't listen. In the show, despite a sacrifice like that, she STILL wears tons of makeup to be presentable.

Are the sorcerers and the witchers immortal? They often refer to living many lifetimes.

Easy_C

Crow
Well the major difference as well with the women in the original setting is that the ones you’re dealing with are well...magical. None of them are 100lb girls physically dominating massive men. Instead the sorceresses succeeding using entirely feminine traits like manipulation, sex, and social mind games. The only exception is Ciri who is hardly in line with the feminist “you go girl! “ type character and is being chased basically because other characters want to be the one to impregnate her.

I also do find the dynamic between the sorcereresses and Geralt to be very....real. I think most of us here can put a face to mind if I ask if you know anyone else like that where a normally Masculine dude puts up with some harpy who treats him like shit and occasionally throws hiking just enough scraps to keep him chasing. In the military that’s extremely common.