Video games

iop890

Crow
Gold Member
The Mass Effect trilogy was 95% of the way there but the original endings were just palette-swaps of each other. I think they redid it to make real separate endings and they’re some of the best RPGs of all time (the original three, not Andromeda).
Unfortunately the endings are still pretty weak even after the patch, but the saving grace it that they're so stupid and vague you can just head-canon nearly anything you want.

They were ruined by one dev forcing his trans-humanist nonsense into them, that's why the "best" ending is so weird and out of nowhere and involves turning everyone into some sort of immortal hive-mind of glowy-eyed cyborgs or something gay like that.

ralfy

Sparrow
Unfortunately the endings are still pretty weak even after the patch, but the saving grace it that they're so stupid and vague you can just head-canon nearly anything you want.

They were ruined by one dev forcing his trans-humanist nonsense into them, that's why the "best" ending is so weird and out of nowhere and involves turning everyone into some sort of immortal hive-mind of glowy-eyed cyborgs or something gay like that.
The ending of the third game was essentially non-existent. It should have had a large-scale boss battle or a series of such based on resources and allies gathered before, but that would have meant a much longer development time. So, instead of that, they came up cut scenes to choose from.

fokm

Robin
Gold Member
There's a documentary series on Netflix that just came out called "High Score" and it's about video game history.

And it's big time pozzed. And I'm not done with it.

In the very first episode, there's some tranny beast heavily featured. It comes back in later episodes.

In the next episode, they hammer the fact that a black guy, Jerry Lawson, invented game cartridges. And it turns out he didn't if you actually research it. He was involved, but Wallace Kirshner and Lawrence Haskel invented the cartridge. From a youtube comment:

1st, I don’t care if he is black, white, or brown, but I do care when I'm being lied to. I just happen to know the history of gaming cartridges. The game cartridge (ROM cartridge) was invented by Lawrence Haskel and Wallace Kirschner 1974. Haskel programmed the games and Kirschner designed the hardware so the ROM cartridges would be compatible. They didn't have enough money and knew their idea would be copied so they approached the Fairchild company to partner with them. They knew someone at the parts department of fairchild, Shawn Fogarty, who thought it was a great idea and he told his bosses. The Fairchild company sent their staff, including engineer, Jerry Lawson, to check out what Haskel and Kirschner created to see if it could be used for their future gaming system, Fairchild Channel F’. Together, Jerry Lawson, Lawrence Haskel, and Wallace Kirschner successfully made it work for the small gaming system with Atari close behind. Fairchild was the first gaming system to use cartridges and engineer Jerry Lawson played a major role in making it happen, but he dd not invent the gaming cartridge. Lawrence Haskel and Wallace Kirschner invented the gaming cartridge.
Notwithstanding that, of course his relatives talked about what it must have been like to be the only black guy in an engineering team. It's clear from the pictures of the guy that he was a huge nerd, and he likely worked around other huge nerds, and my guess is that the other white nerds just treated him like one of their own. In fact, I would bet a huge some that other blacks gave this dude a much harder time than white people.

Then the next episode was about RPGs. They interview the Sierra Cofounders. Roberta Williams is heavily featured. As is Richard Garriott, who could likely be the subject of an entire documentary himself. And what do the producers focus on? About a quarter of this episode is dedicated to a game that came out in the early 90s called "Gay Blade." The first gay computer game. Written by a gay man to combat the evil right wingers at the time.

First, I feel sorry for Garriott and Williams having to share screen time with this guy. No one knows or cares about Gay Blade. It's like when Google makes a tribute to the first lgbtq slave that made it through the underground railroad. No one cares.

But it's worth the watch to see how the other side thinks and how hypocritical they are. Netflix shows a clip of all these right-wingers in the 80s saying things like, "Gays haven't tried abstinence" and "Gays shouldn't donate blood as that could contaminate the supply," which are both objectively true statements.

To combat this outright gay-bashing, some dude wrote a first-person dungeon crawler called "Gay Blade" that probably sold 100 copies. And now it's made it to Netflix because gays are all wonderful no matter what. Literally right after the clip of right-wingers declaring the immorality of gays, they have the "Gay Blade" creator talking about how one of the enemies in the game is a crab, because he got crabs when he was in high school. Armor in the game consists of press-on nails and condoms, the latter of which likely gives negative effects because gays don't use them.

In any case, the final boss of the game is Pat Buchanan, and Netflix shows the images of Pat Buchanan getting punched over and over and over again until he's defeated.

I remember a "game" came out about Anita Sarkessian where the goal is to punch her in the face. This was an outrage back in the day. The game got banned. From the linked article:

Because seriously, making a videogame about beating a woman in the face for daring to express the point of view that a male-dominated industry doesn't always treat women and female characters like it should, is kind of just making her point for her.
But we need to celebrate when someone does it to Pat Buchanan? I see.

They also made a video vignette of Buchanan finding out about "Gay Blade" and then coming out as gay and moving to Paris, topless with a boyfriend of course. As if there would be Schadenfreude in it. If being gay is so great, why do they want it to happen to Pat Buchanan?

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
I am 3 episodes into the High Score show on Netflix.... lots of nostalgia and cool behind the scenes and then there is the wokness.

I texted my friend who recommended the series to me after watching the RPG episode. I was like "Ultima, Final Fantasy, Gay Blade.....which of these does not belong"

They can't help themselves but to show how progressive, virtuous, and woke they are every chance they get. Even if it is clearly forced and irrelevant.

Netflix will never get a dime from me. I canceled my subscription and started using my sisters account years ago

While this video is two years old, I still think it is still very relevant. The speaker explains how the people behind the Battlefield series became grossly historically inaccurate, to sell woke videogames. And ironically, they have shown their own kind of racism, because they should have had people of color in the form of Indians, who fought in fairly large numbers for the allies and the British Empire. But no...

I would love to see a videogame made that embraces wokeness so tightly that it utterly mocks the sjw extremes. We could have an "alternate universe" version of WW1 with nothing but sexy lesbians, ugly lesbians, morbidly obese soldiers, physically and mentally handicapped soldiers, and people of color (but none of the people of color who actually fought in the war). Absolutely no white people, anywhere! Well, other than the Kaiser! And the game would explain that the Axis were only bad because they were lead by the only remaining white male in the world. The sjw crowd would at first probably love the game, and then when they realized it was a parody, go nuts.

MiroKlose

Sparrow
Which one amongst the following is worth spending the money for ? I enjoyed playing Planescape: Torment. I liked the story, however I feel it was bit too wordy and I couldn't feel anything for the characters. Also the gameplay did not really allow a player to be strategic in combat like "Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood" for example.

So which of the following do you guys think, has an immersive story line, a combat system that is not too monotonous and a game play that gives me some freedom i.e. an explorative world and also evokes emotional attachment to characters?

1. Wasteland's director cut
2. Torment: Tides of Numenera
3. Pillar's of Eternity I/II
4. Baldur's Gate I/II
5. ATOM RPG
6. Fallout
7. Or anything else you guys think is good.

Which one amongst the following is worth spending the money for ? I enjoyed playing Planescape: Torment. I liked the story, however I feel it was bit too wordy and I couldn't feel anything for the characters. Also the gameplay did not really allow a player to be strategic in combat like "Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood" for example.

So which of the following do you guys think, has an immersive story line, a combat system that is not too monotonous and a game play that gives me some freedom i.e. an explorative world and also evokes emotional attachment to characters?

4. Baldur's Gate I/II
5. ATOM RPG
6. Fallout
Baldur’s gate 2 is one of the best games of all time. BG 1 feels a bit dated but if you like the type of game I would play it. I enjoyed POE 1. Never mind, I read your paragraph now. Definitely BG 2 would fit your list.

4. Baldur's Gate I/II
5. ATOM RPG
6. Fallout
if you can handle something older, I recommend Ultima 7

fokm

Robin
Gold Member
More on the Netflix series, High Score.

Just go through the Sega episode.

They talk about how Sega focused on sports to help sell the Genesis in the US. Madden is a big portion of the episode.

Then a black guy begged to join Electronic Arts. Black guy is interviewed. He tells us he is also gay, which is completely irrelevant to anything discussed before or after. This black guy is so persistent EA hires him. Then he claims to be responsible for getting EA to put black players into Madden. This is significant because black players have never been represented in a game before, and not even on a cover!

I guess he never heard of Tecmo Bowl on the NES. It was an obscure game (it wasn't):

Or maybe even Jordan vs Bird for the NES:

They're such lying phonies.

fokm

Robin
Gold Member
On a different topic: Is anyone else just underwhelmed by the new consoles? PS5 and Xbox Series X. I am currently not understanding the value prop.

When the PS4 and Xbox One came out, I got them on launch and had the same initial impression: the graphics are clearer than the previous generation. The sky in Assassin's Creed Black Flag was clearer, with less "banding" or whatever limitation the PS3 version had. The lighting in Forza when coming out of a tunnel was better, and games seemed to run at 60fps.

Comparing launch titles to today's is something else. Forza Horizon's weather effects are just gorgeous, as is the detail in God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

But looking at the videos of launch titles -- the graphics just seem slightly smoother and clearer. I'm not saying there isn't an improvement, I'm saying there's not $300-600 improvement.

Also, both consoles will be backward compatible, and both will supposedly improve today's games played on them. So if I'm playing the exact same game with slightly better graphics, why bother upgrading?

Maybe I'm spoiled due to having a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. But what I see are new consoles with few games, and with Demon Souls going for $69.99 trying to set a new price point, I'm not compelled to upgrade. I really think that I'll be fine waiting until the first console price drops, which will a first for me in my lifetime.

On a different topic: Is anyone else just underwhelmed by the new consoles? PS5 and Xbox Series X. I am currently not understanding the value prop.

When the PS4 and Xbox One came out, I got them on launch and had the same initial impression: the graphics are clearer than the previous generation. The sky in Assassin's Creed Black Flag was clearer, with less "banding" or whatever limitation the PS3 version had. The lighting in Forza when coming out of a tunnel was better, and games seemed to run at 60fps.

Comparing launch titles to today's is something else. Forza Horizon's weather effects are just gorgeous, as is the detail in God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

But looking at the videos of launch titles -- the graphics just seem slightly smoother and clearer. I'm not saying there isn't an improvement, I'm saying there's not $300-600 improvement.

Also, both consoles will be backward compatible, and both will supposedly improve today's games played on them. So if I'm playing the exact same game with slightly better graphics, why bother upgrading?

Maybe I'm spoiled due to having a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. But what I see are new consoles with few games, and with Demon Souls going for $69.99 trying to set a new price point, I'm not compelled to upgrade. I really think that I'll be fine waiting until the first console price drops, which will a first for me in my lifetime.
Don't forget about the upcoming Intellivision Amico! : )