Video games

Anyone on here ever played the TimeSplitters games? They're wacky, light-hearted FPS games with a time-travel-based plot.

I've beaten the first two on PS2 and have yet to play the third. They were awesome since they were made by the original Goldeneye devs who left Rareware, I remember playing the multiplayer with friends back in the day on custom made maps.

fokker

Pelican
^ Speaking of GoldenEye, there was a fan-made remake in the works to celebrate the 25th anniversary, but it was cancelled a month or so ago after a C&D from the rights holders for James Bond. The devs decided to turn it into its own original IP, Spies Don't Die, instead.

Show off to your new gf' your suped-up Digital ride. :squintlol:

I remember how in a tabletop rpg cyberpunk game I played a few years ago, you could get your brain put into a totally synthetic body that could feel sensation as well or better than a normal human one, but at the same time could survive in the depths of space without a suit, or jump off a tall building and walk away after you landed. Our current bodies are so damn fragile! Lol

Just a fair warning to all of you who do multiplayer:

“Following this update, users are seeing a notification about Party Safety and that voice chats in parties may be recorded,” Sony announced. “Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review. The pop up you’re seeing on PS4 right now is to let you know that when you participate in a chat with a PS5 user (post-launch), they may submit those recordings from their PS5 console to SIE.”

RalphMalph

Sparrow
Has anyone played the latest Crusader Kings?

Just started the tutorial. And it plays well, however it requires a high learning curve to start. Intriguing however. Will try it over the winter months here.

Currently I spend most of the time playing "Total War: 3 Kingdoms" It's the best Total War iteration yet. And I've played most of them since Shogun #1. The Diplomacy and Personality aspects of this iteration is a big improvement over previous Total War games. And the artwork is fantastic. The complexity will hold your interest. Haven't played any multi-player sessions as yet so can't judge it. Also my connection is slow anyway.

Only beef I have is the 6 unit per retinue limit and 3 retinues per army limit. And one can't combine depleted units if the unit types are the same as in previous Total War titles. To me that is a tactical drawback.

There are DLC's already for this title more than a few. Haven't played them all however.

RalphMalph

Sparrow
Just a fair warning to all of you who do multiplayer:

“Following this update, users are seeing a notification about Party Safety and that voice chats in parties may be recorded,” Sony announced. “Voice chat recording for moderation is a feature that will be available on PS5 when it launches, and will enable users to record their voice chats on PS5 and submit them for moderation review. The pop up you’re seeing on PS4 right now is to let you know that when you participate in a chat with a PS5 user (post-launch), they may submit those recordings from their PS5 console to SIE.”

It figures!!!!!!!! More privacy invasion.

Elipe

Woodpecker
Amazon Wants to 'Win at Games.' So Why Hasn't It? | WIRED

View attachment 26019

A very eye-opening story that shows the arrogance and stupidity of Amazon, at thinking they could easily master the video game industry...

They forgot that games are supposed to be fun, like a lot of developers these days.

fokker

Pelican
Anyone ever played Chaser? It's a Slovak FPS inspired by Total Recall, about a guy who wakes up on a spaceship with no idea of who he is, and has to head to Earth and eventually Mars to find the truth, while having flashbacks of some soldier along the way.

Here's gggmanlives' review:

Even though most people aren't too keen on the game, I think it was quite good.

Salinger

Woodpecker
Anyone out there ever play Victoria II?

I've never been so utterly confused playing a video game before. The learning curve is off the charts hard with all the stuff you need to learn: economics, politics, diplomacy, war, etc. Hell, I've even watched tutorials and I still feel overwhelmed. Like...what am I supposed to do first?

Would really love to find the time to learn this as I've always wanted to learn a grand strategy game.

I've never been so utterly confused playing a video game before. The learning curve is off the charts hard with all the stuff you need to learn: economics, politics, diplomacy, war, etc. Hell, I've even watched tutorials and I still feel overwhelmed. Like...what am I supposed to do first?

Would really love to find the time to learn this as I've always wanted to learn a grand strategy game.

I have a friend who is addicted to this game! He has been playing it for years. It has a strong following, especially in Europe... This game goes well beyond Civilization when it comes to complexity and the learning curve...

RalphMalph

Sparrow

My near middle-aged son loves Civ. Ver 6. for complexity and a short learning curve. As a happy medium between Civ. 6, the Total War series and Victoria II or Europa Universalis IV, you could try one of the newer Paradox titles like Imperator - Rome or Crusader Kings II. They have a tutorial built into the game that is rather easy to follow and if I can follow it, I am quite sure you can as well.

Listen people, FPS are fine but there is nothing better that sitting down to a good cuppa in a nice comfortable chair on a cold dreary day and scheming of world domination in a turn based strategy game that some devs put about 5,000 hours or more of development into.

Which leads to a question. How does one feel about a TBS game that has a few surprises in it to keep things from getting too predictable, like a black swan event or two?