Video games

Pointer

Woodpecker
Colour me thoroughly unsurprised. The AC universe has been a jumbled mess ever since they decided to release a new game every year and kill off Desmond Miles. The whole modern day 2012 doomsday scenario, if you actually look at it objectively was completely shoehorned in, never really made that much sense and nobody ever picked up AC to play the modern sections anyway. But you still had an affinity for Desmond purely because you had played as him for 5 games. At least in ACII and Brotherhood you were searching for The Truth glyphs throughout the world, which tried to explain what was going on. The harvesting of "The Truth" was a whole load better than the actual answer as it turned out.

The AC universe has always been thoroughly globohomo, although they at least had the decency to keep it out of the games main spotlight until ACIII. Remember in the original AC how every templar bad guy was a Christian teutonic knight, enslaving the populations of Acra and Damascus and one of their key figures just happened to be a woman? In the middle east in the 11th century? Yeah right.

What woman are you talking about ? The main villain in AC1 was actually the mentor of Altair. I also remember that there were other Arab Templars. The game actually did a decent job of portraying Richard the Lionheart in a good light.

Personally, I only played up to AC3 before selling my PC. I liked the modern sections, it provided context to what's happening in the past and explained some of the limitations in the game world. The semi-historical background mixed with science fiction was what made AC so interesting. The whole series is basically a conspiracy theorist's wet dream: Illuminati organization controlling events from the shadows combined with ancient aliens theory. This additional pseudoscientific layer added on top is what provided some depth to the story. Chasing those glyphs and solving the puzzles was a treat.

Unfortunately they transformed it into a cash cow. AC3 was supposed to be the last one in the "trilogy" after milking AC2 for additional sequels. I liked Brotherhood and Revelations but they might as well be expansions to AC2. The graphics and the mechanics are the same.
The problem is that AC3 had a very disappointing ending. The main character was also flat, it would've been impossible to top Ezio but even Altair was more interesting.

I heard that the one set in Egypt is quite good. One of these days I will buy a new PC and try to go through the whole series although I think that after AC3 it became a soap opera. The same happened with Mass Effect. The third one was supposed to be the last and they fucked it up.

The new call of duty game is alright even though the Russian boogeyman plot line is quite tiring by now. It's basically satire at this point. Lot of fun international incidents though.
I enjoyed the campaign even if it was occasionally stale. No blatant propaganda (other than that non-binary gender option). Relevant themes. Fun set pieces. Could've been a lot worse.

I've noticed this thing with David Goyer who writes for the Black Ops series as well as Hollywood films. His writing consists of wild goose chases after the villain and the plot tends to get very messy.

NickK

Sparrow
I unfortunately played Rise of the Tomb Raider. I was initialy struck by the visuals and I enjoyed the gameplay, but as the story unfolded, I saw that all it was was anti-Christian propaganda.

An evil religious organisation called Trinity with evil bishops based in Constantinople, persecutes "saintly prophet", who possesses the secret to immortality.
His disciples hide in a syrian "church", which happens to have no Crosses whatsoever and is filled with skulls.

Needless to say, after 3 hours of gaming, I requested a refund. Which is a shame because otherwise it's a fun game to play.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
They really are trying to out-do R* with this trailer.

JiggyLordJr

Kingfisher
This was my first post on the forum, thought it would be prudent to cross-post it from here:

As someone who grew up parallel to the development of video games, I have to say that it's very much core part of my life, despite the fact that I don't even game anymore.

Seeing the marble ruins backdrop in the original Sonic inspired awe in the eyes of my imaginative, six year old brain: "One day, I'll see the Greek ruins in real life."

Seeing Link go to every length to save his sister in Windwaker inspired in me a desire to be the best man I can possibly be: "One day, my female relatives can rely on me to be a strong man"

Seeing Mario dash about in the glorious vistas of Sunshine made me realize how important it is to seek a high quality of life "One day, I'll explore the tropics and find a similar paradise."

Seeing fighters duke it out in Mortal Kombat made me realize the challenges a warrior of yesteryear had to face, and what the life of a gladiator must have been like.

And so on and so forth.

I'm now in a place where a lot of those dreams have been realized, and I never would have had the inspiration - let alone the inkling of an idea - to go out in search of these new worlds. In other words, video games have given me glimpses into fictional universes, which have propelled me out in search of earthly equivalents.

As a positive side effect, great video games (traditionally, older ones) have a distinct red pill edge, teaching one the value of heroism, adventure seeking, and generally masculine ideals. These values, completely lacking in modern society, can be learned just be switching on the console and really plugging in. Of course, it's ultimately up to the player to internalize these values, as it eventually boils down to the individual's disposition and view on life. That's why you have cats like me, who've succeeded in part because of video games, and on the other end of the spectrum, the all-too-common-basemen-dwelling WoW addict. It's easy to cast all gamers with the latter's brush, but to do so would be to ignore all of the men out there who have gamed (or still do) and are successful in real life.

The bottom line is that many video games are beautiful pieces of art that have thousands of hours of creative geniosity poured into them, and stand as microcosms unto themselves. I highly encourage those unfamiliar with this medium to explore it, especially the releases from 90s to the early 00s, as this was before it was tainted with SJW nonsense, and often embodied very masculine ideals.

To cast "gaming" aside into the bucket of "those things neckbeard losers do" would be the equivalent of dismissing works great art, literature, film, and any other modes of creative expression. It's unfortunate that there actually are many losers who game to the exclusion of everything else, but given the nature of this forum and the men who use it, I would view this risk as a non issue among our members. Video games are an a precious art form that have provided food for dreams to a young me, as well as many other adventurous souls world wide. I hope someday that it is viewed universally to that effect.

Pointer

Woodpecker
I enjoyed the campaign even if it was occasionally stale. No blatant propaganda (other than that non-binary gender option). Relevant themes. Fun set pieces. Could've been a lot worse.

I've noticed this thing with David Goyer who writes for the Black Ops series as well as Hollywood films. His writing consists of wild goose chases after the villain and the plot tends to get very messy.

The CoD games set during WW2 or Cold War have always been much better than the modern ones.

It's good to know that they are becoming woke with the bullshit gender options but still not woke enough to make a game about a conflict with China. That seems much more plausible in a modern or future setting than the Russian ultranationalists.

Last edited:
The CoD games set during WW2 or Cold War have always been much better than the modern ones.

It's good to know that they are becoming woke with the bullshit gender options but still not woke enough to make a game about a conflict with China. That seems much more plausible in a modern or future setting than the Russian ultranationalists.

But they don't want to offend CCP authorities and be banned from the Chinese marketplace, by having China as the bad guys in one of their video games! Lol

See, I love Modern Warfare. The quality is head and shoulders above Black Ops. Black Ops tends to get more political and not in a good way, on top of a comic book style that's pretty corny. The worst thing about Modern Warfare is they paid tribute to Burn Loot Murder over the summer.

I doubt we'll see a game about a conflict with China as China has Activision by the balls. Cold War had a trailer with a snippet of Tiananmen Square and they took it down after CCP kicked a fuss.

But they don't want to offend CCP authorities and be banned from the Chinese marketplace, by having China as the bad guys in one of their video games! Lol

I doubt we'll see a game about a conflict with China as China has Activision by the balls. Cold War had a trailer with a snippet of Tiananmen Square and they took it down after CCP kicked a fuss.

Why would you want a video game that grooms your own people for a real war with other humans.... do you understand who is actually profiting from warmongering? At least with “fake” or “unbelievable” warfare you have the benefit of abstracting from reality.

Why would you want to mentally indoctrinate your sons to fight for a war on behalf of billionaire interests across the Pacific Ocean in a country which isn’t invading you and which you have never visited

China is absolutely correct that they don’t want to financially support a game which broadcasts the killing of its own people. They have every right to control the sale of game products within their own borders. Can you imagine yourself playing a game where you’re a German soldier massacring the Americans? Maybe you could, but I would not, and that “No Russian” scene in MW2 was quite socially harmful and not appropriate in my opinion.