Video games

fokker

Ostrich
This guy talks about his experience using Linux as his main gaming OS for a year:

It's inspiring me to put Linux on my Ryzen system when I get around to building it.

I'm looking for people to play RoR 2 in the evening times with still :) 2x a week at most.

Steam ID:
Screenshot_20210225-133943_Steam.png

A lot of Blizzard fans point to selling out to Activision. My guess is the company converged once acquired, the really talented/creative guys left, and now its a bunch of H1Bs remastering old games while sending daily reports to HR.
There was a leak from a Blizzard employee about a year and a half ago saying the company is basically normal nerds as the code monkeys taking orders from woke faggots in the managerial positions. Morale is low and the company was struggling so bad they literally had to get bailed out by Soros.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
Doing a very poor job of the remasters as well up to this point. They are working on Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2..... its probably better they aren't working on many new games at this point. The Blizzard we once knew and loved is no more. Same with Bioware and plenty of other studios... just like everything in life greed creeps in and ruins whatever made a company or product special in the first place.

Blizzard hasn't made a good game since Warcraft 3. Selling out to Activision is a bullshit excuse. They were already bleeding talent after the release of WoW.

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 were cringe and lacked any originality while World of Warcraft is just a cash cow. I remember playing in the beta after finishing Warcraft 3 and was shocked how bad it was compared to the source material. The quests were so repetitive and boring, there was nothing there that other single player RPGS didn't do 10 times better. They then proceeded to milk it for half a decade until Starcraft 2, an abortion that needed at least a couple more years of development: no new races, some new units replacing old ones but serving the same function, an incomplete single player campaign with a story worse than a Sunday morning cartoon and the new redesigned Battle.net which was dogshit. The community could have made a far better sequel if they had bothered to hire some of the talent who worked on the Warcraft 3 custom maps.

Overwatch was their answer to the popularity of Team Fortress 2: the cartoon characters, the microtransactions, the game modes, and they were charging full price for it at a time when TF2 was free.
It was a ''fuck you'' to Valve after they hired the creator of Dota and released Dota 2 stealing the brand from under their noses.

Last edited:

Easy_C

Peacock
I noticed you referenced Saturday Morning Cartoons. One trend I've noticed is that Gen Z "gamer" and nerd communities of various stripes seem to take most of their social, attitude, and media cues from various awful Cal-Arts style cartoons like Steven Universe. For some reason leftists younger than boomers are almost universally obsessed with one or more children's cartoons or comics...at least in my anecdotal experience.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
I think comics are a thing in the US, not so much in Europe...at least not outside UK, France or Belgium. I'm part of generation Y but never had much time to watch cartoons when I was kid. I don't think my parents even had cable TV until I was 5 or 6. After school I used to come home, eat, do my homework then go play outside. In summer I would ride my bike and in winter I had a sleight. When I got bored of that, there was always football and if it rained we played cards. Saturday and Sunday mornings was when I had the time and patience to watch some Cartoon Network.

Last edited:
I noticed you referenced Saturday Morning Cartoons. One trend I've noticed is that Gen Z "gamer" and nerd communities of various stripes seem to take most of their social, attitude, and media cues from various awful Cal-Arts style cartoons like Steven Universe. For some reason leftists younger than boomers are almost universally obsessed with one or more children's cartoons or comics...at least in my anecdotal experience.
The biggest trend i noticed in their attitudes is constantly being ironic, insincere, and always making childish observations.

I think comics are a thing in the US, not so much in Europe...at least not outside UK, France or Belgium. I'm part of generation Y but never had much time to watch cartoons when I was kid. I don't think my parents even had cable TV until I was 5 or 6. After school I used to come home, eat, do my homework then go play outside. In summer I would ride my bike and in winter I had a sleight. When I got bored of that, there was always football and if it rained we played cards. Saturday and Sunday mornings was when I had the time and patience to watch some Cartoon Network.
I only ever watched cartoons whenever I ate dinner after coming home from school, once I was already 12-13 I pretty much stopped watching TV altogether.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
A game I can recommend is Overload, which is a spiritual successor to the mid-90s classic Descent, one of the first truly 3D games. Descent was my favorite game when I was a kid, and its six-degrees-of-freedom gameplay was a true 3D experience in contrast to first-person shooters; Descent had a high learning curve but was well worth the effort. Overload was made by Descent's original developers and takes everything good about the original and updates it with nice graphics, tight gameplay, and a skill progression system. And there's no politically correct agenda, loot boxes, or any other modern game nonsense, just gritty sci-fi shooting fun.

Unlike your average modern AAA title it's actually fun and you can really feel a difference playing a game like this that the developers loved making, and poured their hearts into. If you've got a dusty joystick sitting around, this is the perfect game to bust it out again.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
Speaking of Bioware.... EA gave up on "Anthem 2.0" today. They will no longer support the game beyond keeping the servers open so people can play it as it is today.

The Bioware that made the original Mass Effect and Dragon Age series is dead and gone
View attachment 29317
Supposedly we are getting a remake of mass effect. That makes me happy. I’ll pick it up on one of the steam sales. It’s honestly been enough years that I’ve forgotten half of what’s going to happen

I played Wasteland 2 after Wastelend 3 and you can really see how, even though it's often broken and with poor design, the seeds of what later became Wasteland 3 were all there. W3 is better in every way. I gave up on the final fight of W2 because the fight design was so one-sidedly bad, with the enemy team getting 7 or 8 turns for every turn my team got and they could two-shot any member of my party during that massive set of turns. Just frustrating and not fun.

After that I downloaded Vigil: The Longest Night, which looks and feels like a more polished version of the excellent game Salt And Sanctuary. I'm only about half an hour into it, and it's weird to play games like that on the PC instead of with a controller, but so far I like it.

Recently replayed Half-Life Alyx. I first played it last summer and thought it was the best game I'd played since Bioshock and maybe even Half-Life 2, and I think about the same. The level of polish, in terms of graphics, writing, gameplay, voice acting, etc, in the HL series, is simply a step above. I was one of the people who did not have a VR system so I went out and got an Occulus Quest to play it (mostly so that I wouldn't have to deal with a cord while playing) and even upgraded my PC, and thought it was worth the investment. Simply an amazing game. The first half is a bit slower and more of a pure horror game, which hits a head with the infamous chapter Jeff (a great chapter, although not as scary as it's made out to be). The second half largely ditches the horror element and is more like a true Half-Life game, total action/adrenaline with some scary stuff on the side. The final three or four chapters of Half-Life are as good as any video game in history. It is a testament to how great this game is that I've had my Occulus for about a year and tried other games but haven't spent hardly any time playing. Virtual reality itself I feel is cool but gimmicky and only a great game developer can make me choose the headset over a PC or console, or even playing solitare on my phone. Perhaps most importantly, after playing Alyx, there can be little doubt of Valve's intention to make Half-Life 3. IMO, we will be seeing it in two or three years.

Last edited:

stugatz

Pelican
Recently replayed Half-Life Alyx. I first played it last summer and thought it was the best game I'd played since Bioshock and maybe even Half-Life 2, and I think about the same. The level of polish, in terms of graphics, writing, gameplay, voice acting, etc, in the HL series, is simply a step above. I was one of the people who did not have a VR system so I went out and got an Occulus Quest to play it (mostly so that I wouldn't have to deal with a cord while playing) and even upgraded my PC, and thought it was worth the investment. Simply an amazing game. The first half is a bit slower and more of a pure horror game, which hits a head with the infamous chapter Jeff (a great chapter, although not as scary as it's made out to be). The second half largely ditches the horror element and is more like a true Half-Life game, total action/adrenaline with some scary stuff on the side. The final three or four chapters of Half-Life are as good as any video game in history. It is a testament to how great this game is that I've had my Occulus for about a year and tried other games but haven't spent hardly any time playing. Virtual reality itself I feel is cool but gimmicky and only a great game developer can make me choose the headset over a PC or console, or even playing solitare on my phone. Perhaps most importantly, after playing Alyx, there can be little doubt of Valve's intention to make Half-Life 3. IMO, we will be seeing it in two or three years.
I actually never played Half-Life 2. (I did play the hell out of the original, Op Force, and Blue Shift - to the point where I kind of got fatigued and wasn't really in a hurry to play the sequel by 2004.)

I've heard mostly fantastic things. The "pick up that can" scene has become a meme at this point.

Actually - never played either Portal, either. I really didn't play video games past 2003, was too busy chasing girls and getting all D's in high school as a result.