Video games

jollycynic

Sparrow
Playing the new DLC for Doom today. Game plays at such cracked out speeds that I'm rusty everytime I come back to it.
It was a welcome change from the hand holding sightseeing safaris of AAA gaming. Now that it's over I wonder if gaming will learn anything from it. I'd hate to think we will never see it's like again.

As an aside, anyone know if the multiplayer is worth your time?

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
It was a welcome change from the hand holding sightseeing safaris of AAA gaming. Now that it's over I wonder if gaming will learn anything from it. I'd hate to think we will never see it's like again.

As an aside, anyone know if the multiplayer is worth your time?
Couldn't tell ya. I only got it for the Single Player. It seems to be that the hand holding, museum exhibition style of game design hit its peak about 10 years ago and the trend is to give the agency back to the player (except for Red Dead). Then again I've actively rooted out the cheap cash grab garbage that I used to mindlessly purchase.

That said, I no longer buy anything made by Ubisoft. Capcom seems to have hit a stride lately so I keep my eye on them. I don't think Nintendo has ever had a bad period, even the Wii U had many good games. FromSoft are still going strong 10 years on.

Totally agree. I read an obscure article a while back detailing why modern games suck and how there was a golden age of gaming and it was roughly between the mid 90s and mid2000s. I'm 37 so I grew up in this golden age. Now when I game my choice is either play new games that are formulaic, SJW and rely more on addictive tricks than anything else - or go back and play genuinely great games that are dated. I play Fortnite, GTA, even Skyrim, and I always come away feeling empty. When I played Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Half-life, Myst, Condemned, Bioshock, Thief, it was like I had completed reading a novel or television show. Sure I could think of better uses of time but it didn't feel wasted. Today's games are very shallow and derivative.

I began gaming around age 5 years old in the early 1990s [I'm in my early-mid 30s]. I find that the games with the best plots game out around 1998 to 2005/2008.

For me the best movies are from around 1965 to 1995.

Other than classical music I consider the best period for general music to be the late 1960s to the late 1980s.

Now all of the old franchises are being hijacked and the source material corrupted by feminism and SJW crap.

A bit of gaming is okay but I often have to strive to justify the time spent on a game since I have a variety of other interests, whether hiking, using my home gym, going to train BJJ, training MMA, reading, or just calling a friend or a professor to have an academic discussion about current events, law, philosophy, or theology.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
I still think story wise and attention to detail this game is a masterpiece... Also super clever the way there are three protagonist to really break up the monotony and show the game from very different perspectives. Sadly some of the main people involved in the making and writing of this game have left Rockstar which makes me less than optimistic for the future of Rockstar games, I fear they may start following the trend of most big budget modern media being trash.

This game is 7 years old and still holds up

Last edited:

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
I still think story wise and attention to detail this game is a masterpiece... Also super clever the way there are three protagonist to really break up the monotony and show the game from very different perspectives. Sadly some of the main people involved in the making and writing of this game have left Rockstar which makes me less than optimistic for the future of Rockstar games, I fear they may start following the trend of most big budget modern media being trash.

I thought this game was a big step down from GTA 4 but I agree with you that Rockstar today don't look like Rockstar yesterday and that does not bode well for any future games. I thought 5 marked the beginning of the end for Rockstar. Why make a new Triple AAA game every year like they used to when now they can just sit back and collect microtransaction money?

Easy_C

Peacock
I probably should finish it in spite of the issues I have. One thing I’ve noticed about GTA 4 and 5 is that they’re very good at using disturbing and uncouth things to make points which are far more insightful and intelligent than a lot of the players notice. For example that torture scene is an example and I think most of what’s going on there beyond “Bush CIA bad” went entirely over people’s heads. For example the way they’re getting Trevor to do the torture as the fall guy.

Sniper Elite for original Xbox or PS2, makes me believe that video games were the true last frontier of free development. This game had quotes from The Patton Papers about how his next step at the end of WW2 was to re-arm the Germans to push back against the Russians. Later iterations of this game reverted to (((nazi killing))) but this first one had you taking out communist scum left and right. Watch the intro here:

J.E.

Robin

Whenever I remember GTA V I remember the big hype around it but nothing to show for, but GTA IV was the actual master race here. Nothing tops GTA SA in its scope and depth, but physics and story theme is the best in GTA IV. I don't play video games anymore but this video encapsulates the nostalgia I have for GTA IV:

stugatz

Pelican
I must say, getting back into vintage gaming has led to some pretty amusing developments at my house - I actually ended up asking my housemate to trade TVs with me. I wanted his old, heavy, 2004 LCD television, since my 2013 television was having trouble displaying PS1 and PS2 games without them looking like total crap. (The stock composite cables don't produce great video anyway, but when you try running the signal through a modern TV, it looks especially bad, since the TV interprets the video as a higher resolution - producing an image that's bad enough to make well over half of the games unplayable.)

I was overjoyed to see an S-Video port on the back - although now I have to hunt down a Playstation S-Video cable that isn't terrible.

While this might not be something I consider a huge achievement or anything, it's always nice to get a game setup just the way you want it. It's similar to the feeling I got when I put together my first stereo for vinyl records.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
funny-animated-gifs-they-just-dont-make-video-games-like-they-used-to

Set up the Wii/Gamecube emulator AKA Dolphin. Been having fun playing some Donkey Kong Coutry Returns and Pac Man World 2.

Nice to play a game that balances both challenge and fun rather than being a shallow movie experience filled with propaganda.

Set up the Wii/Gamecube emulator AKA Dolphin. Been having fun playing some Donkey Kong Coutry Returns and Pac Man World 2.

Nice to play a game that balances both challenge and fun rather than being a shallow movie experience filled with propaganda.

I was literally just talking about this. About how most mainstream games are just cheesy movies nowadays. Shame.

Recently I picked up Skyrim Special Edition for the ps4. I havent played Skyrim in years. One of the best games of all time in my opinion.