Video games

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
Wii U is awesome and I recommend getting one.

They actually are gamecube compatible straight out of the box, however for some reason Nintendo built in a block to keep it from running gc discs. You can put gc roms on an external hd and the wii u will play them natively. But not everyone is comfortable dealing with roms and for me it kind of takes away the retro collecting aspect of finding the games in the wild and playing them on original hardware.

Also there's a huge library of good wii games available on top of the gc and wii u libraries.

You can even get stuff like HD Retrovision wii/wii u component cables and run a wii u on a standard def flatscreen (ie Trinitron) if that floats your boat. It was fun to see Breath of the Wild running on an old tube tv and actually looking pretty good.
Sounds interesting. The only thing the U has over the Switch is its retro library. That gamecube rom sounds like sufficient reason to dust off the ole U.

Valentine

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I should have gotten a gamer girlfriend sooner. My girl is happy to play with me RPGs, shooters, turn-based strategy, puzzle games, etc and it allows me to play through loads of great games that had mostly just been sitting in my Steam library for years.

Gaming time also feels like less of a waste since it's quality bonding time rather than just personal leisure. Currently playing Divinity: Original Sin 2, and the last few games we've played have been PlanetSide 2, Civilization 6 and Trine 2.

On the downside I don't play single-player games as much anymore since I'd prefer to include her whenever I want to game. Though she did watch me whilst I played Cyberpunk 2077 recently and still got enjoyment out of that.

rotekz

Ostrich
Gold Member
My gaming has been put on hold thanks to summer arriving, working all hours on a vehicle restoration, and not being able to buy a GPU for my pc upgrade. At least Cyberpunk should be fully patched when I come back to it.

Griftlands is kind of bizarre but I’m going to keep playing it until I understand it. Lots of dynamics going on in a strange but fun and well-animated setting.

My thanks to everyone who gave me insights about the Wii, Wii U and Gamecube.

When it comes to high quality VR, the big appeal to me is getting to "travel" and see the world with it. I don't have the money to traverse the globe and go to the many places I yearn to visit, and so I hope in time VR can come fairly close in being a solid substitution. I do realize some companies in places like Japan actually offer live virtual tours, which fascinates me. But I have yet to take one.

NickK

Woodpecker
My thanks to everyone who gave me insights about the Wii, Wii U and Gamecube.

When it comes to high quality VR, the big appeal to me is getting to "travel" and see the world with it. I don't have the money to traverse the globe and go to the many places I yearn to visit, and so I hope in time VR can come fairly close in being a solid substitution. I do realize some companies in places like Japan actually offer live virtual tours, which fascinates me. But I have yet to take one.
My advice would be to stay away from Oculus Quest 2.
It requires a facebook account and my unit had faulty lenses (hence the blurriness, a common issue with this model) and I'm now waiting for a replacement, which I will sell new.