Video games

Cartographer

Pelican
Gold Member
Would anyone be interested in trying ARMA 3 sometime? I’ll actually step up and give everyone a crash course in individual and fire team movement techniques so MAYBE you all won’t die right away.
My video game thing is telling me I last played arma3 in 2017. I remember it being pretty cool and pretty "realistic" as far as combat goes but yeah, I didn't survive very long. I have never been good at first person shooters.

I play old strategy games a couple times a year, usually Imperial Glory and Railroad tycoon2 which I'm sure is considered sad by both people who like and dislike videogaming. I have been reading up on the civil war lately and found a really good documentary on Sherman the other day. I thought, there's gotta be a video game that gets into detailed battles, right? Sure enough, there's one called ultimate general: civil war. Definitely looking forward to wasting a few hours on reliving Bull Run, Chancellorville, Antietam and Gettysburg when I have time. Jocko Willink has some really good podcasts reading and analyzing books about battles. I think my latest history kick was started by listening to his podcast about B.H. Liddell Hart.

I used to live near Antietam and would go to the 4th of July celebration there so it would be awesome to recreate that battle virtually sometime.

I also like the youtube channel Upper Echelon. I think it's because it's a guy who made his own career doing something he loves doing and just diving headfirst into it. He does comment on how wokeness is affecting that space too.

Last edited:

Easy_C

Peacock
My video game thing is telling me I last played arma3 in 2017. I remember it being pretty cool and pretty "realistic" as far as combat goes but yeah, I didn't survive very long. I have never been good at first person shooters.
You don’t need to. The things that make you good at other first person shooters will get you killed immediately in ARMA 3.

Cartographer

Pelican
Gold Member
You don’t need to. The things that make you good at other first person shooters will get you killed immediately in ARMA 3.
I might be into it. I watched part of a game where these guys were playing a map based on the movie Where Eagles Dare while trying to find a free copy of it on youtube once and it looked like it could be fun.

newcomer

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Not sure about that chief. You ever beat Sekiro?
I was a huge fan of the first two dark souls games, i dont know how hard is sekiro in comparison with that. Interesting game.
What I meant is that all of this is happening on a screen and nowhere else. Why wasting time sitting in front of a screen like a zombie, when I can (and should) be battling with and overcoming my passions in real life?

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
I was a huge fan of the first two dark souls games, i dont know how hard is sekiro in comparison with that. Interesting game.
What I meant is that all of this is happening on a screen and nowhere else. Why wasting time sitting in front of a screen like a zombie, when I can (and should) be battling with and overcoming my passions in real life?
This seems to come up every other page or so. If you have the drive, stamina, and determination to chase your passions then do it. No one here is saying play videogames to the detriment of your career/life/family etc.

stugatz

Pelican
I cannot call myself a Christian and then spend my free time consuming products with titles such as 'Resident Evil.'
I kind of get it, but usually for a game to be engaging (a game with a plot), there has to be some kind of villain for you to defeat. Otherwise every game would be something casual like Tetris.

That's one perspective sure, on the otherhand Resident Evil 8 probably has the most "good", honest, determined, clean cut protagonist in Ethan Winters that has appeared in any media in years. Like a 1950s Charleston Heston figure. The entire game is about a journey towards self-sacrifice and giving ones life for another, really nothing more Christian than that. Oh ya and all those demons, they are not promoted as honorable virtuous globohomo trans things like they would in your local sodomplex, but evil freaks that are to be destroyed.

As I think about RE8 now, its amazing how many Christian themes are within a game made by a Japanese developer. But they wanted to make a game with a traditional "good family man" type and I guess those themes would come out anyhow, as they are intrinsically linked to being godly.

Yakuza 0 featured a very Christ-like Protagonist in Kazuma Kiriyu.

GodfatherPartTwo

Woodpecker
Yakuza 0 featured a very Christ-like Protagonist in Kazuma Kiriyu.
Finally beat this game a few days ago. I honestly felt guilty that I played it for "free" on the gamepass and didn't pay full price for it. Games on another level. Kiryu is an awesome character but honestly Majima stole the show for me. I took a few days off but I'm just now jumping into Kiwami.

The taint of western decay has not quite penetrated Japan yet so the male characters acted like men and the female characters acted like women.

Last edited:

Elipe

Pelican
I cannot call myself a Christian and then spend my free time consuming products with titles such as 'Resident Evil.'
RE is about fighting the evil things though. You're not playing as the monsters, you're playing as the cops that are trying to put an end to evil faceless corporations playing fast and loose with genetically engineered monstrosities. You know, kind of like what they're doing with COVID jabs.

fireshark

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
The past 2 years I've grown further and further away from enjoying video games. They cannot keep my attention for more than 30min anymore with the exception of racing simulators. Thinking about the thousands of hours I've wasted playing video games makes me sick.
I used to enjoy racing simulators. I suppose I still would if I could justify the expense of having an entire separate $5k system just for that. These days I can't be arsed to set up simulators and have all the gear around my office space and would rather at least try to do the real thing, or at least watch and learn something about the real thing.

I wouldn't beat yourself up, as it's not constructive. Would I like to have some of the gaming hours back? Yeah, sure. I've enjoyed games for a long time, but never been the kind to veg out with something like an MMO for weeks on end and literally cultivate a second life. Even during the times when I've had a literal week or so to do nothing but play games I start to get really worn out and feel terrible after 2 days and end up doing something else.