Video games

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
I spoke briefly about my short time with this game on here recently. It was beautiful and very atmospheric with tons of potential but my Xbox One X struggled to play it smoothly so I only put a few hours in it. I have since gotten a Xbox One Series X and they have also released a patch fixing some of the buggy/performance issues so last night I thought I would give it another go. Shortly after loading it up I paused and thought to myself "this game has the potential to be amazing, maybe I should hold off and play it once all the patches and or DLC releases."
Then I had a rather sombering moment..... that this is the way videogames are today... no more "make it good, make it right, make it complete and then release it" now its put it out there and make it playable and complete with updates/patches/DLC at some point in time if there is enough interest in the game. Just call me Debbie Downer but I am not at all hopeful about any forms of modern media...... the movies suck, the music sucks, the games mostly suck, even modern art is trash. Thank you for attending my pity party :)
the-ascent-release-poster-01.jpg

Last edited:

inthefade

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
I used to enjoy racing simulators. I suppose I still would if I could justify the expense of having an entire separate $5k system just for that. These days I can't be arsed to set up simulators and have all the gear around my office space and would rather at least try to do the real thing, or at least watch and learn something about the real thing.

I wouldn't beat yourself up, as it's not constructive. Would I like to have some of the gaming hours back? Yeah, sure. I've enjoyed games for a long time, but never been the kind to veg out with something like an MMO for weeks on end and literally cultivate a second life. Even during the times when I've had a literal week or so to do nothing but play games I start to get really worn out and feel terrible after 2 days and end up doing something else.
The real thing is very expensive, at least a new set of tires, brakes and fluids every day you go out, not to mention track fees. All my tires are 350+ per tire.

When Red Dead 2 came out I played it for 20 hours straight, then took some LSD, then played for another 24 hours. How embarrassing.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
Why don't you kids who think video games are the devils playground make a thread about it..... an post in there about the wicked ways of Mario and Luigi and allow us common sinners who occasional partake in playing video games keep our thread going in "the right direction" and you can talk about how impure we are in your thread.

Deal?

maxresdefault.jpg

fireshark

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
The real thing is very expensive, at least a new set of tires, brakes and fluids every day you go out, not to mention track fees. All my tires are 350+ per tire.

When Red Dead 2 came out I played it for 20 hours straight, then took some LSD, then played for another 24 hours. How embarrassing.
Motorcycles are cheaper, so I'm getting into that more.

I've never combined substance use with games, movies or anything like that. I went though a period of heavy drinking while in the military, but thankfully never got into harder substances or even really learned how to acquire them, aside from a few times when they were simply offered to me, unsolicited.

Everything must be done in moderation. Despite what some types around here clearly think, there are games that are not demonic, and when played in moderation (maybe no more than 1-3 hours at a time) provide a lot of stress relief and keep out of other things that might be even worse.

fireshark

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Yes, the vast maority of them are evil content.
When I log in to steam, the shop page is filled with demonic imagery and titles.
Steam in 2021 is not a representation of all of gaming, or of the full history of gaming. There's a lot of nuance here that you are completely leaving out in an effort to blackwash games. Taken in totally, there's thousands of games that have zero demonic imagery or references, or drug use, or anything like that.

If games are so bad, why aren't they banned from this forum? Maybe you should ask Roosh about getting that done.

NickK

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Steam in 2021 is not a representation of all of gaming, or of the full history of gaming. There's a lot of nuance here that you are completely leaving out in an effort to blackwash games. Taken in totally there's thousands of game that have zero demonic imagery or references, or drug use, or anything like that.

If games are so bad, why aren't they banned from this forum? Maybe you should ask Roosh about getting that done.
I will give you an example of a game I spent countless hours playing, that is at first glance not demonic, but it totally is.

The game is called Factorio. It promotes nihilism, scientism, technocracy, machine thinking. Not to talk about its addictive quality.
It's demonic, despite the fact that the imagery is not obviously evil and the graphics are ancient.

I would fully support the creation of a "no video games for X days" thread, along the lines of the "no-fap" thread.

Edit: Another example of an "inocent" game: Farming Simulator.
Spend your time cultivating imaginary crops and collect imaginary money. This game makes you spend your finite creative energy to a totally meaningless endevour.

inthefade

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
I will give you an example of a game I spent countless hours playing, that is at first glance not demonic, but it totally is.

The game is called Factorio. It promotes nihilism, scientism, technocracy, machine thinking. Not to talk about its addictive quality.
It's demonic, despite the fact that the imagery is not obviously evil and the graphics are ancient.

I would fully support the creation of a "no video games for X days" thread, along the lines of the "no-fap" thread.

Edit: Another example of an "inocent" game: Farming Simulator.
Spend your time cultivating imaginary crops and collect imaginary money. This game makes you spend your finite creative energy to a totally meaningless endevour.
I've spent many hundreds of hours playing factorio. I'm curious what makes you think it promotes anything other that puzzle/problem solving?

inthefade

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
Motorcycles are cheaper, so I'm getting into that more.

I've never combined substance use with games, movies or anything like that. I went though a period of heavy drinking while in the military, but thankfully never got into harder substances or even really learned how to acquire them, aside from a few times when they were simply offered to me, unsolicited.

Everything must be done in moderation. Despite what some types around here clearly think, there are games that are not demonic, and when played in moderation (maybe no more than 1-3 hours at a time) provide a lot of stress relief and keep out of other things that might be even worse.
I frequently take my motorcycle out (weather permitting), but never to a track. Just a cruiser, but that could be interesting...

I got to a point where video games were boring without cannabis. Of course, cannabis just makes you content with being bored. However, without cannabis I would have never found God.

NickK

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I've spent many hundreds of hours playing factorio. I'm curious what makes you think it promotes anything other that puzzle/problem solving?
You are stuck in an alien planet with insectoid creatures and your only hope of survival is technology. That's the main theme of the game.
And while I appreciate the problem sovling aspect, it's what makes the game very addictive.

I'll never get back the hours I spent playing that game. Even while I am writing this post, I feel the urge to install the game again and build a more efficient factory.

Why not spend my time and brain power on building up my real farm or business?

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
You are stuck in an alien planet with insectoid creatures and your only hope of survival is technology. That's the main theme of the game.
And while I appreciate the problem sovling aspect, it's what makes the game very addictive.

I'll never get back the hours I spent playing that game. Even while I am writing this post, I feel the urge to install the game again and build a more efficient factory.

Why not spend my time and brain power on building up my real farm or business?
Some people are alcoholics, that doesnt mean that the majority of people can enjoy an alcoholic drink without becoming an alcoholic.

And that goes for pretty much any activity.

Do you hate all activities that may become habit forming and addictive, or just the ones you personally find addictive?

I used to smoke and it took a lot of effort to give it up, but i dont hate smokers or smoking and dont feel the need to lecture to them about their habits.

I classify videogames into the group of mindless activities that can be good in little doses, like watching a sports game on tv, watching a film or surfing the internet, provided they’re not bad per se (phonographic, blasphemous, extremely violent, etc).

Videogames usually require very little effort and concentration compared to activities like reading, learning to play an instrument like the violin or drawing. That‘s part of their appeal, but it‘s also what makes them a very poor form of entertainment in my opinion. Not to speak about them being one of the most common hobbies of the modern “man-child”.

Valentine

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I remember growing up as a kid playing the original Pokemon games on my GameBoy, I'm a bit jealous that this is the kind of Pokemon-like games that kids these days will be growing up with:

MRAll134

Pelican
I am not loving The Last of Us II. So far, I have had to play as a sexually confused girl, or some sort of man with a woman's voice and a ponytail. I also got a tour of a synagogue and an explanation of the purpose of the Torah. Later, I am sure I will get the "white man bad," or "Christians are evil," in the next chapter. And, there is very little action/conflict - mostly just watching cinematics.

download.jpg