Video games

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
As someone who is indifferent to Star Wars and never understood the hype, I really enjoyed KOTOR 1 and 2. The second one is even better imo.

The second was better. Until you get to the last planet, your crew inexplicably disappears and your running around a rushed world that was not ever actually created.

It’s like they had some sort of idea for goto and the Droid and it never got off the ground because the game was rushed out the door for Christmas 03

The first 80% was better

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
Interesting. Guess I always liked the Roman factions. Im hoping for either a medieval 3 or a remastered medieval 2. The warhammer games really dont interest me as much as the historical titles
The biggest knock on all of the total war games is retarded enemy ai. Even on the highest difficulty it’s laughable. I guess medieval 2 was a little better but the enemy ai was just horrendous for the series

inthefade

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
KOTOR remake was also announced, 2 weeks ago.
Uh oh. Disney will ruin it and I'm sure it will be filled with micro transactions. Want a new saber crystal? $3.99.

The second was better. Until you get to the last planet, your crew inexplicably disappears and your running around a rushed world that was not ever actually created.

It’s like they had some sort of idea for goto and the Droid and it never got off the ground because the game was rushed out the door for Christmas 03

The first 80% was better

This is why you need the kotor 2 restored content mod.

Damn just started playing Paladins on Xbox one, I was surprised how fun it was plus it's completely free, I was a little disappointed with my xbox one purchase but this gaming is making up for it, its like cross between Overwatch and LoL and COD. I feel this game is better than Overwatch but doesn't get nearly the same publicity, even though their rankings are lower I think this game is way better than Overwatch, love playing it so far.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Disney even ruined the Star Wars books, since it seems Timothy Zahn had to write a new series of Thrawn books to match the Disney canon if he wanted to keep writing for the series. The old Thrawn books are not just great SW books but great novels in general; they could have easily made the first 3 into the sequels to Return Of The Jedi and had a perfect set of movies. But the Disneyfied Thrawn books are unreadable, it seems like Zahn was so irritated that he deliberately wrote them as poorly as possible just out of spite. Couldn't even get through one of them.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
Disney even ruined the Star Wars books, since it seems Timothy Zahn had to write a new series of Thrawn books to match the Disney canon if he wanted to keep writing for the series. The old Thrawn books are not just great SW books but great novels in general; they could have easily made the first 3 into the sequels to Return Of The Jedi and had a perfect set of movies. But the Disneyfied Thrawn books are unreadable, it seems like Zahn was so irritated that he deliberately wrote them as poorly as possible just out of spite. Couldn't even get through one of them.

I re-read the Thrawn Trilogy last year and what impressed me about these books is how closely they follow the spirit of the original movies. The characters talk and act just like their OT counterparts; everybody feels in character and the plots are exciting without relying on ever-escalating spectacle. These books should be required reading for any Star Wars writers.

The Star Wars fan environment of the mid-90s (when I got into it) was utterly different from today. Everybody knew what Star Wars was, of course, but it was still this weird, nerdy thing that not everyone was into. All the fan enthusiasm coalesced around Expanded Universe stuff like Zahn's books, the X-Wing novels, Shadows of the Empire, and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight.

This was all pulpy, fun, lowbrow stuff that was true to the spirit of the source material. And arguably hit its peak with the Knights Of The Old Republic game and its sequel. But after that, Star Wars started to feel culturally strip-mined with the change in focus to the Clone Wars cottage industry and endless MMORPG nonsense. Disney's acquisition intensified these negative trends tenfold, and today Star Wars is totally dead. But fortunately, the fun stuff from the 90s is still around, and very accessible.

IM3000

Pelican
The Last of Us 2 was on discount and I finally picked it up for PS5. I really liked the first part and was ready to hate the sequel. However, I have to admit that the game is fantastic. Haven't finished it yet, but I can already say that it is a masterpiece. The graphics, the gameplay, the storytelling are superb. Do yourself a favor and ignore the "controversy" about it. Unless you have a crush on Joel, you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

IM3000

Pelican
The Last of Us 2 was on discount and I finally picked it up for PS5. I really liked the first part and was ready to hate the sequel. However, I have to admit that the game is fantastic. Haven't finished it yet, but I can already say that it is a masterpiece. The graphics, the gameplay, the storytelling are superb. Do yourself a favor and ignore the "controversy" about it. Unless you have a crush on Joel, you'll thoroughly enjoy it.
I take it back. The first half until the character change is great. Afterwards I stopped caring and playing.

Cavalier

Pigeon
The biggest knock on all of the total war games is retarded enemy ai. Even on the highest difficulty it’s laughable. I guess medieval 2 was a little better but the enemy ai was just horrendous for the series
I agree. It was difficult at first but once I found the weakness in any given faction, victory in battle was fairly easy.