Video games

Trudarknez

Pigeon
Non-Christian
Didn't the Samurai have something similar to the original platonic homo-erotic teachter-pupil relation? There was this japanese writer who wanted to start a traditional revolution in the 1960s or 70s and then committed ritualistic suicide. I think, such stuff was going on in his circle.

Yes that is what I meant indeed. I think it comes from that original teacher-pupil dynamic and grew into a sub culture of some sorts. I think there is even a word for it.

You mean Yukio Mishima? He was an interesting fella.

Turretin

Banned
Protestant
Yes that is what I meant indeed. I think it comes from that original teacher-pupil dynamic and grew into a sub culture of some sorts. I think there is even a word for it.

You mean Yukio Mishima? He was an interesting fella.
That is the guy. There is a good movie about him. I forgot the title, but it is quite recent.

Caleb

Pigeon
Catholic
God is calling me to testify the truth. Let me explain, video games are a distraction that inhibits me from bettering myself. There is a calling of music that I will express the praise and glory of God, since I’m not an out-going part of the body. You’ve told me how these games don’t translate to reality. I could n’t agree with you more. Whenever I’m playing video games, I curse in frustration because the game or the player is outperforming my abilities. Should I cut off my hand? If I can play games to distract me without using profanity, is it worth continuing for the enjoyment of succeeding? Moderation is key, but what could I be filling my time with? “Idle hands do the devils work “. Thank you for being there. God bless.

Last edited:

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
God is calling me to testify the truth. Let me explain, video games are a distraction that inhibits me from bettering myself. There is a calling of music that I will express the praise and glory of God, since I’m not an out-going part of the body. You’ve told me how these games don’t translate to reality. I could n’t agree with you more. Whenever I’m playing video games, I curse in frustration because the game or the player is outperforming my abilities. Should I cut off my hand? If I can play games to distract me without using profanity, is it worth continuing for the enjoyment of succeeding? Moderation is key, but what could I be filling my time with? “Idle hands do the devils work “. Thank you for being there. God bless.
Just get married. You won’t have time for games anymore, problem solved!

tothepoint

Banned
Agnostic
It's the opposite actually. When you move in with a gf that cooks, cleans and does the groceries you'll suddenly find yourself with a lot of time.

Kids can be time consuming but you can drop them at the grand parents house from time to time. Around 8 or 9 you can start playing video games with them already :)

@Caleb, are you talking about online games ?

Just stick to single player, you'll either get bored or finish the game and move on. I never liked multiplayer games, there's no end to them and you don't get anything in return. You can be the best player in Counter Strike but unless you're making money, it's worthless. At least when you play something like Metro 2033 you get to experience a story.

Elipe

Ostrich
Protestant
Just stick to single player, you'll either get bored or finish the game and move on. I never liked multiplayer games, there's no end to them and you don't get anything in return. You can be the best player in Counter Strike but unless you're making money, it's worthless. At least when you play something like Metro 2033 you get to experience a story.
I also like coop games these days. Coop gives you the benefit of multiplayer games without the grief that comes with competitive games.

Turretin

Banned
Protestant
Games like Civilization and classical adventure/riddle games are not that bad. Any game that needs an epilepsy warning is probably bad for your brain.

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Protestant
Gold Member
I've bonded w/ countless friends, gfs, relatives by gaming with them. Mario Kart with four people all in the same room is still a blast, decades later. Especially in the winter or with older relatives who can't get out and play basketball with the kids anymore. But they sure can wii bowl and more grannies should play Animal Crossing if you asked me.

I don't get this idea of a shadowy loser sitting in the dark basement gaming by himself. I guess that's how a lot of people see it though. Start with Nintendo AAA title multiplayer games and go from there when playing with normies or kids. If we're all home I'd much rather play some Mario Party or Donkey Kong with the kiddos than sit through some Disney + garbage. It's about the most wholesome entertainment around unless you only stick with boardgames (which we still do a lot but does get old).

I think a lot of guys who are ex computer gamers have this really sour taste of gaming. They spent their teens casting spells on demons in warcraft or whatever and have never experienced the family friendly side of it.

Oh and don't let your wives or girlfriends talk you into selling all your stuff, but if she does...drop me a line I'm always in the market. :laugh:

Last edited:

Valentine

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Been playing a bunch of Space Station 13, Wild Rift and Minecraft lately with my girlfriend. And with my friends something new each week: most recently Gang Beasts, Borderlands 2 and Civilization VI.

I've got a bunch of single-player games I've played a few hours of and really enjoyed like Starsector, Disco Elysium and ULTRAKILL but I haven't found much time for them since whenever I do have free time it's usually spent playing games with others. Having co-op is now the feature I look for most when buying a new game because of this, so I'm especially excited for Elden Ring and Dying Light 2 coming out soon.

Guriko

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Playing video-games like anything else is a matter of curation.

You can play anti-Christian woke infested trash, just like you can watch anti-Christian woke infested trash, listen to anti-Christian woke infested trash or read anti-Christian woke infested trash.

You can spend ungodly amounts of hours grinding endless Skinner boxes like some MMORPG's or other online games, just like you can spend ungodly amounts of hours following sportsball and theorising about potentialities that should not bear any kind of significance within your life.

But video-games are one of the last bastions of groups of men rejecting again and again and again anti-Christian (to a certain degree) woke (to a much higher degree) infested trash because by the act of playing you forge a deeper bond with a subject than by merely passively watching, listening, reading it.

It can be argued, to a degree, that Gamergate was a certain historical point that lead to the 'meme-tic' warfare which coalesced into 2016.

But never will anyone convince me that games like Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, Hades, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Doom (2016), Doom Eternal, Max Payne, Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, Bioshock, System Shock, Ace Attorney, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, Super Mario, GTA, Zelda, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Dragon Quest, Lufia, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, Kirby, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Metro, King's Field, Phantom Detective, Donkey Kong, Professor Layton... are not A form of art.

Many a times they are one of the few instance of media left that tell the story of hope, of a heroes journey that is usually all the time being deconstructed all around us into a puddle of gray-soylent-like goo.

Video games, in my opinion, after playing them since on the first GameBoy, should be played in moderation, either with friends or alone, should be investigated beforehand to find possible woke infestation and not get addicted with. Like anything else.

Tippy

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Playing video-games like anything else is a matter of curation.

You can play anti-Christian woke infested trash, just like you can watch anti-Christian woke infested trash, listen to anti-Christian woke infested trash or read anti-Christian woke infested trash.

You can spend ungodly amounts of hours grinding endless Skinner boxes like some MMORPG's or other online games, just like you can spend ungodly amounts of hours following sportsball and theorising about potentialities that should not bear any kind of significance within your life.

But video-games are one of the last bastions of groups of men rejecting again and again and again anti-Christian (to a certain degree) woke (to a much higher degree) infested trash because by the act of playing you forge a deeper bond with a subject than by merely passively watching, listening, reading it.

It can be argued, to a degree, that Gamergate was a certain historical point that lead to the 'meme-tic' warfare which coalesced into 2016.

But never will anyone convince me that games like Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, Hades, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Doom (2016), Doom Eternal, Max Payne, Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, Bioshock, System Shock, Ace Attorney, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, Super Mario, GTA, Zelda, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Dragon Quest, Lufia, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, Kirby, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Metro, King's Field, Phantom Detective, Donkey Kong, Professor Layton... are not A form of art.

Many a times they are one of the few instance of media left that tell the story of hope, of a heroes journey that is usually all the time being deconstructed all around us into a puddle of gray-soylent-like goo.

Video games, in my opinion, after playing them since on the first GameBoy, should be played in moderation, either with friends or alone, should be investigated beforehand to find possible woke infestation and not get addicted with. Like anything else.

I agree to a point but I sense some reality weaving here.

To suggest video games are better for the mind than reading is questionable in my opinion. Partially because games are such mega stimulants which may also give you a sense of achievement in game world that may diminish your motivation to go out and attain success in the real world.

With reading, you don't have the music, you don't have other players. It's a quiet meditative activity which also - in the case of novel reading - involves active engagement to create images in your mind by decoding words on the page. You don't just sit there and have an immersive world to run around in.

I'm as big a fan of Donkey Kong as anyone but I wouldn't say this game had any Christian messaging to it, unless you count the seemingly solid Donkey Kong family unit. He appears to check in on Kranky Kong pretty often and has a decent relationship with various members of his extended family.

Also, all this time spent in another game world perhaps even blasphemously playing God in the game world (particularly true of strategy games) you could be creating an actual relationship with God.

In moderation it is acceptable, especially wholesome games that do not involve murdering innocent humans or animals or any sort of witchcraft or demonic activity. I'd agree with a previous suggestion of Animal Crossing or Mario Kart or perhaps addictive overly stimulating games such as Pong.

I don't think video games are a form of art. They contain different art forms to create them. But art is not something you play. It's something you take in that someone else made. If games are art, then I'd say we'd have to call 'Monopoly' art or 'Clue' Don't feel comfortable doing that though I can't deny whoever designed the board had artistic skills in drawing.

Ember

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Can the arguments for and against video gaming be taken to another thread? Despite how it started, for a long while now, this thread has been a place for gaming enthusiasts here to discuss games and hardware. It gets a bit tedious to be told yet again that it is a worthless hobby. As previously pointed out, books and movie threads never get dunked on in this way.