Video games

Yeagerist

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
Playing video-games like anything else is a matter of curation.

You can play anti-Christian woke infested trash, just like you can watch anti-Christian woke infested trash, listen to anti-Christian woke infested trash or read anti-Christian woke infested trash.

You can spend ungodly amounts of hours grinding endless Skinner boxes like some MMORPG's or other online games, just like you can spend ungodly amounts of hours following sportsball and theorising about potentialities that should not bear any kind of significance within your life.

But video-games are one of the last bastions of groups of men rejecting again and again and again anti-Christian (to a certain degree) woke (to a much higher degree) infested trash because by the act of playing you forge a deeper bond with a subject than by merely passively watching, listening, reading it.

It can be argued, to a degree, that Gamergate was a certain historical point that lead to the 'meme-tic' warfare which coalesced into 2016.

But never will anyone convince me that games like Bastion, Transistor, Pyre, Hades, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Doom (2016), Doom Eternal, Max Payne, Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2, Bioshock, System Shock, Ace Attorney, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy, Super Mario, GTA, Zelda, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Dragon Quest, Lufia, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, Kirby, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Metro, King's Field, Phantom Detective, Donkey Kong, Professor Layton... are not A form of art.

Many a times they are one of the few instance of media left that tell the story of hope, of a heroes journey that is usually all the time being deconstructed all around us into a puddle of gray-soylent-like goo.

Video games, in my opinion, after playing them since on the first GameBoy, should be played in moderation, either with friends or alone, should be investigated beforehand to find possible woke infestation and not get addicted with. Like anything else.
Call of Duty and Battlefield have been the latest to fall into the neo-Marxist subversion of political correctness. And I'm not surprised that there's a correlation between AAA companies pushing woke BS and delivering garbage finished products

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Tried to play Disco Elysium and Encased on my Linux computer. Sadly neither one would even launch to the title screen. Steam for Linux works very selectively and I’ll probably make it into a Windows PC before Elden Ring comes out. Anyone know how to transition from Linux to PC?

GodGiveMeStrength

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Just played a bit of doom eternal but I had to turn it off.Even though you are fighting demons.The main character has demonic symbols all over his ship and openly uses demonic magic.
I played the Doom from a few years back (2015, 16 maybe?) and enjoyed it but I wonder if I would get the same enjoyment out of it today. I've picked up Quake for a bit of nostalgia and have enjoyed the little bit I've played but then again I'm certain the imagery and magic isn't nearly as pronounced as Eternal.

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Protestant
Gold Member
I picked up NBA 2k22 for some wholesome b-ball action as I haven't played one since 2k18 (not into pro sports but basketball games are fun). The announcers started talking about the need for more female announcers and more black coaches, full on wokeness. I had to shut the commentary off and leave only sfx so I could get back to some wholesome b-ball.

Ember

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Tried to play Disco Elysium and Encased on my Linux computer. Sadly neither one would even launch to the title screen. Steam for Linux works very selectively and I’ll probably make it into a Windows PC before Elden Ring comes out. Anyone know how to transition from Linux to PC?
Have you considered a dual boot setup? W10 for gaming and Linux for everything else?

inthefade

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I'm hyped for this and I really don't get hyped for games anymore. This video and his two upcoming lore videos are the last things I'll watch about it before release. Good luck avoiding spoilers gentlemen!

Also, if any RVF'ers will be playing on PC and want to do some jolly cooperation let me know!

Is this made by fromsoftware? Never even heard of this.

GodGiveMeStrength

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Is this made by fromsoftware? Never even heard of this.

It is!

I just recently played through DS3 and the dlc has me pretty burnt out but I'm looking forward to this one.

Edit: I should also say this game is supposed to be more of an open world experience from the way it sounds. Although I can't speak about it very in depth as I've been ignoring basically everything in order to avoid spoilers.

Last edited:

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
If I had the capabilities I'd make some kind of Orthodox monastery sim game.

The idea being you start off as a recluse who has to chop down trees to make their cell in the wilderness, which then grows into a monastery. Within the game you could have a sped up version of the church calendar (so you could educate kids on the Saints and major feasts etc), as you monastery grows you have to manage resources, carry out work and so on. Perhaps there could be a random chance of a Saint appearing (you could use real monastic Saints, again for educational purposes). There could be some kind of balance to maintain between reclusiveness and having lots of visitors and such.

I guess making a video game would not be the most wholesome thing, but I figure kids are going to play them anyway, it would be good to have a game that Orthodox kids could play that would teach them something wholesome at least.

fireshark

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
It is!

I just recently played through DS3 and the dlc has me pretty burnt out but I'm looking forward to this one.

Edit: I should also say this game is supposed to be more of an open world experience from the way it sounds. Although I can't speak about it very in depth as I've been ignoring basically everything in order to avoid spoilers.
Yes, it's more open world. Not as much as something like Skyrim, but more like the older Zelda games. I'll refrain from saying any more. It's a full-time job trying to avoid spoilers for a massive release like this.

If I had the capabilities I'd make some kind of Orthodox monastery sim game.

The idea being you start off as a recluse who has to chop down trees to make their cell in the wilderness, which then grows into a monastery. Within the game you could have a sped up version of the church calendar (so you could educate kids on the Saints and major feasts etc), as you monastery grows you have to manage resources, carry out work and so on. Perhaps there could be a random chance of a Saint appearing (you could use real monastic Saints, again for educational purposes). There could be some kind of balance to maintain between reclusiveness and having lots of visitors and such.

I guess making a video game would not be the most wholesome thing, but I figure kids are going to play them anyway, it would be good to have a game that Orthodox kids could play that would teach them something wholesome at least.

I'd definitely give that a try.

Not much known at this point, but there is this game that seems to have some Orthodox influences:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1473900/Zealot/

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
I've always thought the point of the GTA games is to play as a criminal. Rob, murder, rape, beat rival criminals up, that sort of thing. I've never liked the idea of this.
I played it a few times when I was pretty young and liked it. However, you are right that it is encouraging bad habits. There are plenty of better action games that are not so clearly immoral. I liked Dynasty Warriors myself, but I rarely play video/computer games now.

I know technically you could choose to only attack other criminals and the police if they are trying to catch you (so that you are somewhat moral as you are doing this to survive and following the law of the jungle), but many people will rob and shoot innocent people and run over people as well just for entertainment.

GTA Vice City has a cool soundtrack though. That was extremely clever and added a good element of realism. I saved several of the songs from the soundtrack as well as some of the comical advertisements and DJ announcements.