Views about Halloween... Can you be a Christian and still celebrate it?

Grow Bag

Pelican
Trick or treat was never a thing in England. My theory is that it started to get traction after repeated showing of E.T. on TV. As lads we'd go witch hunting on Helloween, hoping to see some naked ladies in the woods. Then we'd walk up to the village green, where there's a witches dip and replica stocks where stocks did once stand. Then we'd visit the graveyard of a church on the green. Folklore had it that if you walked around that church backwards 3 times you'd see the devil, or something like that. It was a fun evening for us and adults didn't seem to mind. A century ago it would've been another matter altogether. Likely we'd have got arrested and punished for that sort of behaviour. But, hey, that's progress.

Watch Holy Ghost Bingo. And help nuns!

angry nun.jpg

“From the Archives” kicks off with performance of our Halloween-themed comedy called Holy Ghost Bingo: God, Goblins, & Games!

Audiences can enjoy this hit comedy from their own homes and support a really good fundraiser.

A portion of every ticket sold will go to help fund the retirement needs of the Benedictine Sisters of Chicago. The nun’s habit used in LATE NITE CATECHISM is based on an actual Benedictine habit."

Tartan terror: Why Scotland is so obsessed with the supernatural

333344.jpg

Halloween was canceled in Scotland... Some views on the origins of the holiday...

"The Wicker Man" is a classic horror film about the "old ways" secretly existing in the modern world. The original film is terrifyingly excellent, with a great performance by Christopher Lee, but the remake with Nicholas Cage was a big disappointment.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I like Halloween. Gives me a chance to watch old horror movies and old Simpsons Halloween specials and eat candy. All Saints Day is always a very beautiful High mass, to which I look forward.

It also forces me to consider my own mortality, death, and the importance of God. It transforms death from something incredibly terrifying to just another phase of existence.

Hypno

Crow
4boi96jnw0x51.jpg

I think that most Christians tend to be pretty lax about everything, hence why Christianity is being destroyed. Christian kids, even as they get older, have no idea about significance of Easter and Christmas. They do Easter egg hunts and wait for presents under a pagan tree. Then Halloween comes, they are dressing up in witches and zombies and are already slowly being coerced into occultism and surrealism from an incredibly young age. Naturally, then, they will aim to seek out the same practices just more ‘adult’ versions once as they get older i.e. New Age. I think if people understood how cool Christianity actually is, and how deep and profound the teachings are, there would be no place for Halloween. It would seem stupid, which it is.
On the other hand being hysterical about Pokemon shouldn't have occurred either:

It's very stupid. And we shouldn't fall into that trap either. It's all about discernment and actually knowing the material.

[...] In theory even some other modern holidays might have "pagan origins" [...]

I'd argue that all mainstream modern holidays are pagan.

I don't celebrate holidays anymore.

I don't celebrate birthdays either. In satanism, the most important day of the year is your birthday, to glorify yourself.

This is controversial, I know.

Philonous

Sparrow
I can’t believe nobody on this forum pointed out the obvious Christian history of “All Hallows Eve”, or, the “Eve of All Saints Day”.

In Catholic tradition almost nobody goes straight to heaven, as almost nobody dies as a saint. So it’s expected nearly every practicing Catholic will wind up in purgatory for a length of time, however short, and the still living will pray they are released as soon as possible. And All Saints Day—November 1—is traditionally when Catholics pray in unison throughout that day for the departed to be released from purgatory.

But you might want a little extra help praying for departed Uncle Lou or your late Aunt Sally. And that’s when the children would come around on October 31st. And you know they’d be sincere about praying for such an individual, as they had bothered to dress themselves in his/her “grave clothes”—even paint their face up to look green and corpse-ish, like they’ve been fermenting underground.

And so you’d give the child the relative’s name, and pay them in “sweet cakes” (treats). You could do that, or if you had any particular stunt or “trick” that might amuse children, you could pay them with a performance.

Gradually, the outward ceremony petered over to the Protestant faiths.

Later—mostly due to the increasing worldliness of the RCC itself—the holiday was completely expropriated by Jewish Hollywood and persons who couldn’t be anything but Christian. It started revolving around witches and witchcraft—notions you’d “be like a witch” and go bobbing for apples like you were in some Druidic divination ritual (the pagan “Samhain” holiday falls on the same day).

Nonetheless, most families of young children probably don’t know this, and so if you refuse to give their kids “treats” then you’re the one who looks disagreeable and un-warm. And for that reason I’d recommend Christians participate in the handing-out of candies, but not in the dressing up in costumes.

iop890

Peacock
Orthodox Catechumen
Gold Member
I'd argue that all mainstream modern holidays are pagan.

Why Christmas is not pagan.

I don't even know what to say about the claim that Pascha is pagan other than to simply ask you not to share articles from some clownish "Interfaith Minister".

He even repeats the usual goofy protestant conspiracy about St. Constantine too, and the Saturday sabbath stuff.

This is 'Pastor Jim vs Constantine and his goons' level cringe.

the-catho-pagan-guards-attempt-to-prevent-pastor-jim-from-spreading-37816369.png

Last edited:

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Personally, I would raise my kids understanding Halloween as its original holiday (All Hallow's Eve) and they're not allowed to dress up as anything blatantly diabolical, but wearing a costume like samurai, robot, doctor, fireman, would totally be okay.

Why Christmas is not pagan.

I don't even know what to say about the claim that Pascha is pagan other than to simply ask you not to share articles from some clownish "Interfaith Minister".

Hi, I know that there is a lot of garbage circulating out there, yet I don't apologizing for sharing this source. This source, among many, supports my stance.

As I stated, all mainstream holidays are indeed pagan.

Including Christmas: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/131217-krampus-christmas-santa-devil

I stand by my comments.

Cervantes

Woodpecker
Woman
Halloween is Pagan, and stems from Occultism. This does not honour God, so no you should not be celebrating it as a Christian.

Not exactly pagan.

For every Christian holiday the devil creates an alternative holiday designed to obscure the Christian holiday, and if possible reverse its meaning.

Halloween is Satan's attack on All Saint's Day.

Since the early Church there has been a holiday to celebrate all the Christian martyrs. It was originally a festival celebrated in the Pantheon in Rome where Christians had gathered all the relics of martyred saints. Christian families began celebrating not only the martyred saints - but the saints in their own families. Everyone in heaven is a saint - so celebrating your own dead ancestors reflects your hope in their salvation. So All Saints Day became partially a holiday to remember your own dead.

Like all the major Christian Holidays celebration begins with a vigil Mass the night before. This, like Christmas Eve, became "All Saints Day Eve". A synonym for "sainted" or "holy" is "hallow". So in some places in England and Scotland the day was known as "All Hallows Day" or "Hallowmas", and the day before as "All Hallows Eve", which was corrupted into "Halloween".

The traditional Catholic way to celebrate it is a religious procession through the cemeteries the day before All Saint's Day, saying prayers for your own dead and then celebrating either a vigil Mass, or an All Saint's Day Mass the next day.

Halloween encourages you to ignore the saints and celebrate the demons on All Hallows Eve, and then ignore Hallowmas completely.

Christmas has a similar attack but even more multi-layered attack.

A red-garbed representation of Mammon, an anagram of "Satan Claws" replaces Jesus. In some countries a literal demon rides with him. During a time when Christians are supposed to be focused on spiritual gifts Satan has you focus on earthly material gifts.

First "Christ" was replaced with "X" in Xmas, and later replaced again with "the holidays". The tradition of leaving elaborate gifts for children on Christmas morning is perversely timed to prevent families from attending midnight mass (The children must be asleep for "Santa" to appear, and parents busy preparing the gifts).

Advent, which should be a penitential time, is reversed into a celebratory time. Advent mistakenly called even by Christians as "the Christmas Season" - which obscures the fact that the real "Christmastide" starts on Christmas day and continues to Epiphany or even Candlemas. The period which is supposed to be celebratory is when most people put away their decorations - celebrating the wrong things at the wrong time and ignoring the real Christmas season completely.

The octave day of Christmas, the Solemnity of the Virgin Mary is replaced by New Years day.

The most important holiday in the Christian calendar, Easter, is now almost completely ignored. It should start with the Wednesday of that begins Lent. Originally on the Tuesday before people would eat one last large meal before beginning 40 days of fasting, which was "Fat Tuesday" or "Mardi Gras". In many places this is now a bacchanalia the replaces the start of Lent. Lent itself is then ignored, Easter is replaced with rabbits and eggs. Eastertide, which lasts until Pentecost is now mostly forgotten.

Godward

Robin
Yes, of course you can be a Christian and celebrate All Hallows' Eve. The same goes for any other cultural expression or custom that our pre-Christian ancestors (might have) transmitted to our Christian ancestors (and we from them). However, it is generally not as evident and clear when something is "Pagan" in origins. Someone in this topic named the Christmas tree as an example of a "Pagan" tradition. Yet, most folkloric scholars now tend to agree that the Christmas tree was a 19th century German-Romantic invention. There is no true tree tradition predating that century.

Christians ought thus not to worry whether certain traditions are of Pagan descent. Rather, we are called upon to discern the spirits, which Paul writes about in 1 Corinthians 12. Christians ought to hold fast on that which is good (1 Thessalonians 5), and disregard that what is not. And, I would add: sanctify that what is sanctifiable. Just to give a great example of a Pagan, Indo-European tradition that proved to be more than sanctifiable: Kingship. By listening about Christ's Kingship, Germanic kings learned to become Christian kings.

That is also the main difference between the Revolutionairy methodologies of, for example, Puritanism and Islam, and the traditionalist methodology of orthodox, catholic Christianity. Revolutionary methodologies try to erase everything that predates their own Revolutionary existence. Traditional methodologies discern right from wrong, evaluate whether something can be hold unto, should be sanctified, or must be disregarded, and do so accordingly.

That said, with contemporary Halloween as secularized and watered down from good ol' All Hallows' Eve as it is, I do believe it is imperative that this holiday is Christianized. If I were to have children and this holiday was part of my heritage, I would not have them celebrate it. I recommend celebrating it with likeminded friends, in a similar fashion that (y)our Christian ancestors did, let's say, a century ago.

An interesting and useless historical anecdote:

500+ years ago, how people celebrated Christmas and Halloween were "flipped" from how they're celebrated today.

Halloween was "All Hallows' Eve" the night before All Saint's Day, everyone dressed up in the best clothes, and went to Midnight Mass.

Christmas was the time people dressed up in costumes, got drunk and partied.

As long as things don't get "out of hand" I don't see a problem with children having fun trick-or-treating, especially with parental supervision, I trust that parents know what is best for their own children.