Vitamin D supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckerman

Ostrich
I definitely have low Vitamin D. Tests have shown it.

What is the best supplement out there to help fix this problem?

Yes, I know that getting lots of sunlight is a "cure" for this.

Thanks.

D3 softgels are the most convenient and effective solution. Many experts suggest the range of 2000-6000 IU per day.

Just understand that vitamin D supplements are still only a substitute for the real thing(sun light). It has been shown that sun light also stimulates your skin's nitric oxide production, something which is vital for testosterone production. Also, sun light could also have many other benefits we are just not aware of. When I sunbathe, the sun definitely increases my mood and happiness, which obviously lowers cortisol the stress hormone.

My advice would be to stop being a bitch and starting to sunbathe no matter how inconvenient and boring it could be for you, or how insecure it makes you feel if you don't have a good body to show off. I live in far North, and I HAVE TO use D3 supplements during winter times, but during summer I try to spend hours per day under the sun.

Duke Castile

Crow
Gold Member
I used to buy a bottle of it from a feed and tack store that supplies livestock and inject it.

It's like 20 bucks but will probably last you over a year.

Seth_Rose

Pelican
Gold Member
JayMillz said:
I take a multi-vitamin, Carlson cod liver oil and also drink almond milk for vitamin D.
Downunder said:
Definitely Carlson`s Cod Liver Oil.
I actually just bought the Carlson's CLO last night, Ill see how it goes.

As for Vitamin D I've been taking 5000 (sometimes 10000 iu) every day. However, Ive read recently that most Vitamin softgels are synthetic meaning that only a small percentage is actually absorbed.

Anybody know if this is the case?

puckerman

Ostrich
These are good suggestions. I've thought a lot lately about just trying to go outside for a walk every day to get more sunlight. I need to make some lifestyle changes.

HonantheBarbarian

Kingfisher
Gold Member
10, 000 IU in the morning.

It helps my libido, but not in the same way that Zinc does.

Zinc is like a sharp punch while D3, after a few weeks, is more like a low, constant hum.

Taking D3 at night is supposed to fuck with your sleep so keep that in mind.

MrXY

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Go outside for 20 min a day with your shirt off

Supposed to be far more effective than oral supplementation and its free

The Lizard of Oz said:
Guys, don't go overboard with the supps. Safety first.

You don't need more than 2,000 IU of D a day. In addition, while vitamin D itself is pretty safe, not all supplements are perfectly pure or of high quality and that is another good reason to avoid overdosing on any given supp.

This is an excellent high quality D-3:

http://www.iherb.com/source-naturals-vitamin-d-3-400-iu-200-tablets/1212
400iu a day? Almost pointless supplementing with it

Also, if you just need to take ONE supplement in a day, take this:

http://www.iherb.com/Super-Nutrition-Simply-One-Men-Triple-Power-Iron-Free-90-Tablets/12361

It has 3000 IU of D3

Orson

Kingfisher
Vitamin D - 6,000 IUs per day? 10,000 IUs???

My study indicates that there are toxic effects that set in above 5,000 IUs.

Mind you, this is using vitamin D by pill. From skin exposure to sun light, there are no known toxic effects, and thus - apart from sunburn and obviously cancer risk - no maximum dose.

I haven't looked it up in a while, but I believe the risk is to your liver and kidneys.

On the other side, I have only read of 3,000 IUs as a maximum used by researchers on Vitamin D who supplement their own dosage, seeking to maximize its pro-health effects.

Therefore, my dosing is 1,000 in the summer months, 2,000 IUs in the rest of the year, even in sunny Colorado (yes, sunnier than Miami and San Diego).

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
Orson said:
Vitamin D - 6,000 IUs per day? 10,000 IUs???

My study indicates that there are toxic effects that set in above 5,000 IUs.

Mind you, this is using vitamin D by pill. From skin exposure to sun light, there are no known toxic effects, and thus - apart from sunburn and obviously cancer risk - no maximum dose.

I haven't looked it up in a while, but I believe the risk is to your liver and kidneys.

On the other side, I have only read of 3,000 IUs as a maximum used by researchers on Vitamin D who supplement their own dosage, seeking to maximize its pro-health effects.

Therefore, my dosing is 1,000 in the summer months, 2,000 IUs in the rest of the year, even in sunny Colorado (yes, sunnier than Miami and San Diego).
I've been taking 10k IUs every day for over a year now. Bloodwork confirms my vitamin D levels are within normal range after chronically being subpar for years.

Don't listen to those studies. Go to your GP and get the bloodwork, add or decrease the dosage as needed, and request more bloodwork. When it's all normal, stick with that dosage.

Status
Not open for further replies.