Watchmen of the Night - Benedictine Monks of the Barroux Abbey

Augustus_Principe

Woodpecker
After reading Roosh's American Pilgrim and specifically his experience in Monasteries, I myself got curious and started to search for Catholic monasteries online. I stumbled upon the documentary below a few weeks back and was in awe at the monastery, as well as the life that the monks live(Ora et Labora). The monastery follows the Rule of St Benedict. Below is an excerpt of the Monastery located in France:

The abbey of Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux is a Benedictine Abbey located at Le Barroux in Vaucluse (France). It was founded 1978 by Dom Gerard Calvet. This documentary shows the transformation of different monks in their lives from being ordinary men to extraordinary men of faith who chose to live a life of poverty, chastity and obedience

From Wiki:

The abbey of Sainte-Madeleine du Barroux also known as Le Barroux Abbey is a traditionalist Benedictine abbey located in Le Barroux, Vaucluse, France. It was founded in 1978 by Dom Gérard Calvet while the current abbot is Dom Louis-Marie de Geyer d’Orth.

Before the current abbey was consecrated a group of men, led by Dom Gérard Calvet, founded a small community of Benedictine monks in the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene in the Vaucluse region of south-east France.[3] Shaken by the changes brought on by the Second Vatican Council, he founded the abbey as a way to continue the traditional practice and life of the Benedictine Monks and the traditional liturgy of the Catholic Church. In 1979 a female branch was founded, the Abbey of Notre-Dame-de-l’Annonciation [fr].[1] In 1986 the community numbered 53 monks

I also present this In light of Roosh's most recent article on a certain Catholic Monk:

I highly recommend this documentary for anyone curious on the life of a Catholic Monk according to the Rule of St Benedict. Please feel free to share any more Traditional Monastery documentaries, books, articles and experiences you've had if you have ever visited a Catholic Monastery, I would love to hear about it.

Last edited:
I alsa saw this documentary not long ago, it's very good and interesting, I recommend it. Some of the monks are interviewed and they share a bit about their stories on how they became monks. They also use traditional liturgical forms for their worship and rites, it's all very beautiful. I copied the "timestamps" of the canonical hours they use, and try to use them myself to pray. X'D