Ways to monetize a writing skill?

stugatz

Pelican
Am at the moment, as I look for full-time work and ways to get back on my feet post-coof, trying to think of abilities that I have that I can monetize. Writing is one - people have gushed about my writing for years (I tend to think it's nothing special, but I'll take the compliments). My main issue is that I may be an above average writer, but can't think of anything to write about. I'm not exactly going to write a novel or a complex history book in the next six months.

I'm good at writing, in particular, things like cooking instructions, or instructions in general. Another thing I excel at - if someone who had English as a second language asked me to look over their paper and tell them what phrases don't flow right and sound off, I'd be good at proofreading something like that and telling them what to write instead. (I'm decent at explaining idioms to people, we use those so extensively in English that even fluent English speakers don't use them right.)

As someone who moved around a lot as a kid, I read a lot and also watched a lot of movies. That I don't think I have much of a chance of elbowing into - don't we have a critical mass of handpicked "critics" already? And just about everyone can speak their mind when talking about something on IMDb. Unless I started some kind of a YouTube channel I don't think there's much I can do there.

I do, actually, write op-eds occasionally for an organization that pays me part time wages. Main issue there, though, is that I usually have to be fed ideas by higher-ups to write about. That's just some extra pocket money that I shrug at for now - maybe I can make it more frequent, maybe not.

Just wondering if anyone on here works in a field like this on the side or for their main gig. I've always been much more verbally inclined than anything else, have been that way for my whole life. Would love to teach English abroad once I get fluent in a second language - but that's the future.

DanielH

Pelican
I do, actually, write op-eds occasionally for an organization that pays me part time wages. Main issue there, though, is that I usually have to be fed ideas by higher-ups to write about. That's just some extra pocket money that I shrug at for now - maybe I can make it more frequent, maybe not.
What topics in general are these op-eds and is your name or pseudonym attached to it? So you could build a portfolio? Of course don't doxx yourself. Maybe we could brainstorm some ideas, there's a wealth of knowledge just on this forum and no shortage of ideas.

MRAll134

Pelican
The Blogging hey-day was in-and-around 2008, but you could also start one on Wordpress. There is almost always room for movie critics, despite what you might think. But you are right, almost all reviews are done in video now. It would still be a way to improve your writing (Blogging). Look at how well Roosh is doing Blogging-wise.

stugatz

Pelican
What topics in general are these op-eds and is your name or pseudonym attached to it? So you could build a portfolio? Of course don't doxx yourself. Maybe we could brainstorm some ideas, there's a wealth of knowledge just on this forum and no shortage of ideas.
It's a police advocacy org (not uncomfortable sharing that really, as there are so many of those robocalling boomers and annoying them). A friend of a friend tapped me to be an unpaid member, and the op-eds just kind of happened. Sadly, my name is attached to what I write so I'm not comfortable sharing. I will say though, that my name is thankfully generic sounding enough where people may think it's a pseudonym. I google myself for kicks sometimes and get some politician's name. Good.

It's not an org I feel particularly strongly about, as I do think police are necessary (who doesn't?) but this one is pretty normie-tier and tends to view all police as brave soldiers that can do no wrong. For now it is what it is as supplemental pay, and I may leave in a year or two.

You can offer to write people's business emails, social media posts, re-write their website and brochures. I don't recommend blogging for clients; it's way too hard to see any return from that and if you're going to go down the slog of that road you ought to be building your own brand instead.

This is all what I do for a living, so feel free to PM me.

I am going to give you two pieces of advice that I wish someone had given me when I started, and they have been worth a TON of money and also in peace of mind:

1. Don't ever describe yourself as a writer. Describe yourself as a consultant who specializes in writing. Always approach the client from a mindframe of being consultative and prescriptive, and don't do anything for free (well, you may have to take meetings for free at the very start as you are building your rep, but quickly get past that part).

2. Find and study everything you can by Dan Kennedy. I'm going to link you to 4 videos below, and I suggest you SAVE THEM IMMEDIATELY before they are removed from Youtube. If you don't know how, Google a free service to rip/download youtube vids.

About structuring a business around writing: leave your ego at the door, and definitely don't worry about writing "correctly" or even "creatively" at first. Give yourself over to the process and study all the persuasion triggers so you know them cold and begin to add them into your writing without even thinking about it. Incidentally, this will also help you get more and better clients.

Good luck, this is a very rewarding career!

I wrote essays in college for rich international students (Chinese and Arab). I could not keep up with demand after the word got out people were passing with grades over 70%. I charged $10/100words and this enabled me to close the gap with rent/food. That was over 10 years ago. The price would be much higher now, at least double. My ability was just perfect, good enough to pass and not give suspicion to professors that internation students barely able to speak English were cheating.

I grew up very poor so it was do or die for me. Nobody was going to help me fanancially and this happened after almost all my hours were cut from working at a retail pharmacy. Morals off.

TheMaleBrain

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I wrote essays in college for rich international students (Chinese and Arab). I could not keep up with demand after the word got out people were passing with grades over 70%. I charged $10/100words and this enabled me to close the gap with rent/food. That was over 10 years ago. The price would be much higher now, at least double. My ability was just perfect, good enough to pass and not give suspicion to professors that internation students barely able to speak English were cheating.

I grew up very poor so it was do or die for me. Nobody was going to help me fanancially and this happened after almost all my hours were cut from working at a retail pharmacy. Morals off.
I did that too, but my prices were way low - and I was considered expensive.
You can write academic papers. Once you get a few of those you just edit what you got and charge the same. Was able to grab 10K$ in one year while working full time high-tech position.