Weaponized drones / killer AI robots

Roosh

Cardinal
Now hobby-sized drones can fly for up to two hours on solid fuel pellets. Read about it here. This technology isn’t yet commercial, but it probably will be in several years.

I don’t know how far a hobby-sized drone can fly in two hours. And I don’t know how hard it would be to program one to fly from wherever you are to a specific GPS location. But when those two technologies come together, how do you stop a weaponized suicide drone from attacking literally anywhere on Earth?

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/139490217676/drone-risks

4zXXECI.gif

How about a fleet of 20 suicide drones, each costing less than $1000 each and tipped with explosives, programmed to swarm a Prime Minster's or General's house when he's there? Talk about asymmetric warfare.

kaotic

Owl
Gold Member
RE: Coming up: Weaponized suicide drones

Cartels already use drones to smuggle across the southern border.

Drones have been used for over a decade in the middle eastern theater by western forces, for recon, and bombing.

It's only a matter of time before people who want to do harm, get keen on using drones as weapons against soft civilian targets.

I mean they have videos of drones shooting off weapons.

It's only a matter of time, prices are already dropping for drones/accessories - there are more registered drones than their are registered pilots by the FAA.

username

Ostrich
Gold Member

That is actually not that far fetched. A teenager already made a drone carrying a gun with remote firing:

Roosh said:
How about a fleet of 20 suicide drones, each costing less than $1000 each and tipped with explosives, programmed to swarm a Prime Minster's or General's house when he's there? Talk about asymmetric warfare.

Very interesting. We may soon see a micro-version of the Iron Dome anti-missile technology from Israel developed to combat rouge drones.

sixsix

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Funny. I recently thought of something similar myself while reading about some tech innovation.

How difficult would it be to have small drones powered by solar panels and programmed to fly to any destination in the world? GPS modules weigh nothing and are reliable. Google or Facebook has been experimenting with little airplanes for wireless connections that will remain in the air for over a year.

If such a thing could carry an additional 1-2 pounds you are talking about seriously dangerous possibilities.

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member

In college I used to hang out with a bunch of guys who were RC pilot hobbyists. Hilariously a lot of them work for defence contractors now programming military drone navigation systems.

The technology for this has already been around for quite a long time. One of the guys I knew had this epic RC mini prop plan that he could control using VHF and UHF radio. He had a amateur radio license which he would use to control the plane. He always registered his RC plane's flight path with the FAA before take off, but essentially he could fly it below radar and never get detected. It would be trivial to attach explosives to one.

Elster

Pelican
Gold Member

I actually designed a mercenary character for a story once that used drones like this: Funnily enough I called him "the X-mas elf"
BUt drone users are a common trope in cyberpunk or in the somewhat more tacky magiccyberpunk that is shadowrun (where they are called "riggers")

Icepasian

Robin

philosophical_recovery said:
Well, I needed a reason to own a shotgun.

I imagine that soon certain areas will have anti-drone sites like those used by military bases in the Middle East and Afghanistan to intercept incoming rockets.

kaotic

Owl
Gold Member

I'm sure there's single target EMP systems to knock drones electronically out of the sky.

There's always nets, birds, etc.

Falconing just might make a comeback !

Mike5055

Kingfisher

There was a tv show that did something like that. I believe it was an episode of Legends. Looks like DoD needs some more funding...

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member

Roosh said:
Now hobby-sized drones can fly for up to two hours on solid fuel pellets. Read about it here. This technology isn’t yet commercial, but it probably will be in several years.

I don’t know how far a hobby-sized drone can fly in two hours. And I don’t know how hard it would be to program one to fly from wherever you are to a specific GPS location. But when those two technologies come together, how do you stop a weaponized suicide drone from attacking literally anywhere on Earth?

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/139490217676/drone-risks

4zXXECI.gif

Whats even more crazy is that this is coming from from Dilbert.

"In another world, a dystopian future where comic strip artists are now military strategists"

Alsos

Kingfisher

One of the first times I listened to talk radio, it was about this very topic: given GPS technology and ever-improving computing technology, how hard would it be for a terrorist group to rig a large model plane or small private plane to fly in under the radar, home in on a specified set of coordinates, and then crash into a target, drop or detonate a bomb, or disperse a toxin?

This was in 1993. Chuck Harder, who was like a lunchtime version of Art Bell.

Even easier now. Google "arduino autopilot".

weambulance

Hummingbird
Gold Member

I knew I was onto something when I was designing a remotely operated belt-fed automatic shotgun turret 10 years back...

None of these technological advances really make terrorists more dangerous. They're just extra tools in the toolbox. The weaponized drone trick would work exactly once, or possible for one single day if they coordinated attacks, and from that point on any drone within 100m of a high value target would get neutralized instantly.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock

You lack oversight with a drone unless you're in clear proximity to the target, plenty of things can go wrong.

The speed and unpredictability of such a device however would be tricky to defend against unless you have armed bodyguards on the premises who can shoot them down but that has its own advantages and drawbacks.