Weaponized drones / killer AI robots

kaotic

Owl
Gold Member
RE: Coming up: Weaponized suicide drones

It's a race.

Armed Robots>Weapons to Kill Them>Hardened Armed Robots>Weapons To Kill Them

It's a never ending cycle, it's always been like this.

Right now a 5.56/7.62/308 could take a out your mobile robot.

A shotgun or hawk can take out a standard drone.

Obvious upgrades to robots and drones, then higher powered weapons to take them out.

Electronic warfare will increase tenfold.

DannyAlberta

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Can something be a statist's and terrorist's wet dream both at the same time?

As already pointed out in this thread, this has obvious appeals to terrorists, anarchists or just otherwise mischievous bastards.

However, there's a whole statist angle to this stuff too. The bigger nuisance/danger little inexpensive drones are, the more the increasingly sheeple public will cry out to be "protected" from them. I foresee thousands of pages of regulations, millions of tax dollars and thousands of man-hours expended in a likely vain attempt to regulate these devices. Statists are creaming their jeans over this stuff.

Valentine

Kingfisher
Gold Member

kaotic said:
Electronic warfare will increase tenfold.

Drones can also be combined with this.

Attach a mini PC + wifi adapter to a drone, fly near heavily-guarded fortress, hack into the wifi, then start messing with the systems.

In the event of wifi being so protected it'd require physical access to circumvent, use 1000 drones with micro guns to break open windows.

We're doomed.
drones.jpg

kruger41

Sparrow
Richard Turpin said:
^^^^

Well, that's just great. Looks just like the relentless robot dog in the Black Mirror episode; Metalhead!;

blackmirror.jpg

If I recall correctly, the robot in Metalhead was based directly off the Boston Dynamics concepts. For what it's worth, their BigDog robot was discontinued from further development due to noise concerns, but I imagine that similar designs are chugging along for .Gov and .Mil purposes.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
kruger41 said:
Richard Turpin said:
^^^^

Well, that's just great. Looks just like the relentless robot dog in the Black Mirror episode; Metalhead!;

blackmirror.jpg

If I recall correctly, the robot in Metalhead was based directly off the Boston Dynamics concepts. For what it's worth, their BigDog robot was discontinued from further development due to noise concerns, but I imagine that similar designs are chugging along for .Gov and .Mil purposes.

I am sure it's just a coincidence.

Donfitz007

Kingfisher
Seems there will be a massive increase in Spec ops operators now. Somebody to plant EMP’s, sabotage warehouses, cut communication lines, etc. seems the average foot soldier will soon be obsolete.

kel

Ostrich
"Off-road" - who do you think that's gonna be used on? Sure, there's great cover in our endless wars in mountainous Afghanistan, or the rubble of Syria. But, this tech could be useful to the government in a lot of ways, couldn't it......

"Off-road" - who do you think that's gonna be used on? Sure, there's great cover in our endless wars in mountainous Afghanistan, or the rubble of Syria. But, this tech could be useful to the government in a lot of ways, couldn't it......

Absolutely - they gon' get after them preppers off grid!

Also:
US Army tests electronic ‘smart scope’ designed to kill drones in Syria

Japanese Towns Use This Robotic Wolf to Scare Off Bears, and It’s Terrifying

A Halloween themed robot! I could see something like this adapted for a high tech outdoor haunted house attraction...

robo wolf.jpg

"But if you walked out your door and saw a bear in your yard, you’d probably have a hard time staying calm, as most people would. So Takikawa isn’t taking any chances, preferring to avoid the chaos that stray bears would cause among its residents by setting up this robot laden with sensors and speakers.

It’s sort of like a scarecrow, except that if you happened to run into it in the middle of the night—or, heck, even in broad daylight—it would probably haunt your dreams (or nightmares) for years to come.

Infrared sensors detect when bears or other living creatures enter the area, and in response the robot kicks its scare tactics into action: its eyes light up red and it emits a variety of loud sounds, from howls to gunshots to human voices. It reportedly can make over 60 different sounds, (at least one of which is truly ear-splitting, as you can hear in the video below) and is programmed to mix them up so that bears or other predators won’t get used to any one sound and hence stop being scared off."