WeChat Questions and Asian culture

canuckj

Robin
Other Christian
Don't know if this fits here but thought I would try. The Wechat (Wexin) app is popular with the Chinese community here in Canada. A couple of my friends are Chinese and I have an account to share pictures, etc. From time to time a woman will greet me and start a conversation. Recently I have had 2 younger women (early to maybe mid 30s) message me and we have been back and forth regularly for a few weeks. One is in my city the other Vancouver. I haven't met either in person and it has just been light banter. I have a couple questions that anyone familiar with the app and even Asian culture/women might be able to answer.

1. Both women seem legit and I could probably meet the one in my city although COVID restrictions make this more difficult. Could probably get a test and meet for a coffee/dinner. Photos seem legit and they sent additional photos and know the area.
2. Both seem to make a living (at least partially) on cryptos (option trading etc.?). Although one is also a part time fashion designer and the other has some type of medical beauty shop.
3. Both seem to have photos with expensive cars (Bentley and Porsche). Is it typical for younger Asian women to pose for photos in cars they don't own (maybe owned by a relative or at a dealership)? My concern is that if they own these expensive vehicles they are definitely out of my league and I am wasting my time.
4. Why would said women be writing to me (a divorced non-rich guy in his 40s)? One writes several times per day and even feels hurt when I don't respond immediately. Although the attention is nice all my info and photos are on my moments so I am not hiding anything and they should have a good idea what I look like and that I have children. For context people tell me I look maybe late 30s.

Last edited:

canuckj

Robin
Other Christian
See your point #2, it's some sort of crypto scam.
Thanks. I think this may be highly possible. I am going to do some internet sleuthing and reverse image search to see what I can come up with. She also told me she made 13K yesterday on Bitcoin options and bought an expensive watch today to celebrate. Also sent photo of watch so it raises red flags. Seems like a lot of effort for a scam with no guarantee of any payoff.

I asked a Chinese person and they said it is possible this woman is just looking for a friend but would need to meet in person to really know.

Tom Slick

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I asked a Chinese person and they said it is possible this woman is just looking for a friend but would need to meet in person to really know.
A Chinese person said another Chinese person "was just looking for a friend"? That's not how Chinese people think. They think in advance of how a relationship will benefit them now and in the very near future. And while they do like white people, probably much more than they like each other, they also think we're suckers who are ripe for the plucking. They talk amongst themselves that whites in their own countries are fools who are easy to trick.

MartyMcFly

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Thanks. I think this may be highly possible. I am going to do some internet sleuthing and reverse image search to see what I can come up with. She also told me she made 13K yesterday on Bitcoin options and bought an expensive watch today to celebrate. Also sent photo of watch so it raises red flags. Seems like a lot of effort for a scam with no guarantee of any payoff.

Likely a scam or she is trying to sell you something that is overpriced. It seems like too much information for a person to give to a random stranger they just met online.

Sadly, some westernized Chinese people (to include some in the mainland) are materialistic and love to brag and show off overpriced luxury goods they bought (you see this on wechat moments-especially from women who I think mostly are showing off for other women).

However, the open bragging to a stranger about income earned is a huge red flag. Even if not a scam, this is the kind of woman that would likely be high maintenance in a relationship and cause stress.

canuckj

Robin
Other Christian
Likely a scam or she is trying to sell you something that is overpriced. It seems like too much information for a person to give to a random stranger they just met online.

Sadly, some westernized Chinese people (to include some in the mainland) are materialistic and love to brag and show off overpriced luxury goods they bought (you see this on wechat moments-especially from women who I think mostly are showing off for other women).

However, the open bragging to a stranger about income earned is a huge red flag. Even if not a scam, this is the kind of woman that would likely be high maintenance in a relationship and cause stress.
Yeah, it is likely too good to be true. It may very well be a crypto romance scam as well. I think I will probably stop replying to her. Apparently, they play the long game in these scams.

In fairness, a Chinese woman I know did tell me that she may very well just be looking for a boyfriend; however, I think this in highly unlikely. I will ask my Chinese buddy in Illinois although I am pretty sure I know what he is going to say.

It is not that I am totally unfamiliar with Chinese culture as I lived in China for half a decade and have many friends just that I don't understand the younger folks and the current popular culture. Back then I did meet some really nice and genuine young women and often wonder how things could have been. Also good to have a forum like this where folks will give a straight answer.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member

Sounds like this:

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member
China is full of them unfortunately...I fell for the tea ceremony scam in Shanghai (which really wasn't too bad, only got taken for about $75, got to practice my Mandarin with 2 cute girls for an hour or so and the tea itself wasn't even too bad, ended up giving it away as a gift) as well as the "meet a girl off a dating app, she suggests a restaurant and runs up a huge tab in a matter of minutes" scam on a separate trip in Kunming, then had a different girl try the latter on me a day or 2 later (as soon as we sat down I realized what she was doing, said I had to make a phone call, left and blocked her on the app), the latter pissed me off so much I cut my entire trip to China short a few days and went back to spend the rest of my vacation in Thailand.

Just recently here I've gotten a few random wrong number texts on whatsapp where the person goes on to say it must be fate that they met you and tries to spark up a conversation....the profile picture is always an attractive Asian woman. I'm not certain but I'm guessing this particular scam is to try to strike up an intimate conversation and then blackmail the target, threatening to contact family members, spouses etc unless you pay them.

canuckj

Robin
Other Christian
China is full of them unfortunately...I fell for the tea ceremony scam in Shanghai (which really wasn't too bad, only got taken for about $75, got to practice my Mandarin with 2 cute girls for an hour or so and the tea itself wasn't even too bad, ended up giving it away as a gift) as well as the "meet a girl off a dating app, she suggests a restaurant and runs up a huge tab in a matter of minutes" scam on a separate trip in Kunming, then had a different girl try the latter on me a day or 2 later (as soon as we sat down I realized what she was doing, said I had to make a phone call, left and blocked her on the app), the latter pissed me off so much I cut my entire trip to China short a few days and went back to spend the rest of my vacation in Thailand.

Just recently here I've gotten a few random wrong number texts on whatsapp where the person goes on to say it must be fate that they met you and tries to spark up a conversation....the profile picture is always an attractive Asian woman. I'm not certain but I'm guessing this particular scam is to try to strike up an intimate conversation and then blackmail the target, threatening to contact family members, spouses etc unless you pay them.

Had my fair share of scams and rip-offs when I was in China. I used to get super aggressive about it when I was young. I ripped up the taxi driver receipt book a time or 2 when the tried to grossly overcharge me. I would have walked out and left her to pay the tab.

canuckj

Robin
Other Christian
Update on this:

I ended up deleting one lady messaging me as it was too obvious it was fake and a scam. Don't even think her photos matched. Also deleted my WhatsApp account she asked me to start :).

The other I am having some fun with. Told her to watch out for people trying to scam her as she is into cryptos and there is a scam called "butchering the pig" :laughter:. Also trying to arrange an in-person meeting which will never happen I am sure but then she has to come up with excuses. The interesting thing is she never asks me about anything I add to my moments or about myself just basic simple crap.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member
Had my fair share of scams and rip-offs when I was in China. I used to get super aggressive about it when I was young. I ripped up the taxi driver receipt book a time or 2 when the tried to grossly overcharge me. I would have walked out and left her to pay the tab.

Yeah I should have but I think I was part focused on just cutting my losses and part concerned that if I refused to pay at all 2 or 3 thugs would emerge from the kitchen to persuade me or worse yet crooked cops would show up. It was about $200 US which was worth it to me to avoid the prospect of a Chinese jail.

canuckj

Robin
Other Christian
Yeah I should have but I think I was part focused on just cutting my losses and part concerned that if I refused to pay at all 2 or 3 thugs would emerge from the kitchen to persuade me or worse yet crooked cops would show up. It was about $200 US which was worth it to me to avoid the prospect of a Chinese jail.
For sure. I also read where you ditched the chick by pretending to make a call which was a good call.