Weight Loss Help

Lazuli Waves

Woodpecker
Just for anyone listening to, or reading Matthew Walker's "Why we sleep may find this of interest.

Interesting. I just scrolled through the essay but haven't read it all yet. After reading Walker's book, I did sleep much better. I noticed that Walker does not always cite studies, like the ones he himself did. My approach to the book was to just view it generally. His main idea was sleep is more important to our health than we realize, and a large amount of people aren't valuing it. I definitely think smart phones have hurt people's sleep.

The book made me take sleep more seriously, and improved my sleep hygiene, and I have slept a lot better since reading it a year ago. With that said, I didn't trust everything he said. The one area I was trusting in was when he talked about sleep, cancer, Alzheimer, and learning. I believed his findings in those areas so maybe I've been led astray.

In an interview I recall him saying he was a vegan for health reasons. I found that odd considering how obsessed he is with the health benefits of sleep. I thought that was a red flag, but because I've slept so much better since reading his book I ignored it.

I think the main thing that has helped me sleep better is going to bed at the same time and waking up at the same time, even on weekends and vacations. So I'll continue doing that. But if the book is largely mumbo-jumbo then I'll have to forget the other things I learned in it.

Waverer

Robin
  • Cutting down calories = cutting down carbohydrates in practice. So much ink is spent on this issue but the reality is high carb is high calorie and high calorie is usually high carb. It really doesn't matter if you think calories or carbs are key, because cutting one will mean cutting the other.
  • Lots of protein will make you feel energetic, help with muscles and make you feel full. Eat lots of eggs, chicken and other meats.
  • Run or use the cross trainer or do any cardio where you actually sweat a lot. It's so much easier to hit a daily calorie target if you do this. Would you rather sweat for 45 mins a day or be hungry for 16 hours a day?
  • Track everything you eat and all your exercise. You don't have to reveal it to anyone else but be honest with yourself.
  • This is controversial but I have lost loads of weight from the above points without cutting down on booze (or even counting calories from booze).

Zagor

Kingfisher
My research and experience have tougth me that calories in / calories out paradigm of weigth loss/gain is flat out wrong.
It is actually all about hormones because they are the driving force behind weigth loss and gain.

Zagor

Kingfisher
I some cases, yes. If, for example, a person has type 1 diabetes and his disease is unmanaged, he won’t be able to gain weight no matter how many calories he consumes. And it doesn’t mean calories in/ calories out is wrong, just that it’s mostly a useless paradigm of weight loss. It’s like saying getting rich is about having more money coming into your bank account than going out. That’s technically true, but it’s not helpful in any way in getting rich. Especially if you have no control about your expenses, just as a person has no or very little control about the calories out part of the equation, because we do not control what our body does with calories we consumes. We can only control our physical activity, but that will always be only a minor part of the total daily caloric expenditure. Calorie partitioning is a matter of hormones as shown by the example of a person with type 1 diabetes.

square_it

Pigeon
Protestant
Intermittent fasting worked for me to lose fat. But it took a lot of trial and error since college. Trying different fast/eat ratios, and protien/carb/fat ratios. Initially, I was unable to concentrate at full ability throughout the day.