Weird things you noticed lately

Max Roscoe

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
2) The complete degeneration of written English.
I come across gramatically incorrect language even on mainstream companies like Amazon's page. If you try to sign up as a seller, it will first give you a gramatically incorrect error message, something along the lines of: "There are no account with that email address". Shocking for one of the largest companies in the world.

Has anyone noticed that Halloween decorations are far more grotesque than in the past?
I used to enjoy attending haunted houses for Halloween, but most homes were decorated with cartoony ghosts / sheets / pumpkins / orange lights.

Lately I'm seeing gravestones and skeletons and walking dead morbid stuff everywhere, as if it's moved from a dress up even / All Soul's Day to a celebration of demons and death. It's so blatant I feel startled and a bit scared just walking around my neighborhood as an adult.

WaywardMan

Sparrow
Oriental Orthodox
Lately I'm seeing gravestones and skeletons and walking dead morbid stuff everywhere, as if it's moved from a dress up even / All Soul's Day to a celebration of demons and death. It's so blatant I feel startled and a bit scared just walking around my neighborhood as an adult.
I've noticed this too. The people who still bother to decorate really go all out, and the decorations are indeed less about the "cuteness" in a child's brief fright as they get their treats and more about the celebration of gore and terror itself.

But perhaps they're overcompensating for the apathy of Current-Year. My parents (God bless them) love to decorate for Halloween the same way they used to when we were kids, and now theirs is the only house on the entire street with anything out. Most people just don't care about these things anymore; internet, as good a tool as it is, has completely separated the seasons and their old-world meanings/practices from the majority of urbanites (drugs have done the same for rural people I'd say).

The mobile phone is truly the common interface for what people think this world is now. Very scary to think how lost some will be if/when the lights go out.

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
I've noticed this too. The people who still bother to decorate really go all out, and the decorations are indeed less about the "cuteness" in a child's brief fright as they get their treats and more about the celebration of gore and terror itself.

But perhaps they're overcompensating for the apathy of Current-Year. My parents (God bless them) love to decorate for Halloween the same way they used to when we were kids, and now theirs is the only house on the entire street with anything out. Most people just don't care about these things anymore; internet, as good a tool as it is, has completely separated the seasons and their old-world meanings/practices from the majority of urbanites (drugs have done the same for rural people I'd say).

The mobile phone is truly the common interface for what people think this world is now. Very scary to think how lost some will be if/when the lights go out.
In my area the Halloween decorations came out around September 15. I couldn't believe they were so early!

I've seen the increase in gruesomeness as well. When I read the word decorations above, I first took it as desecrations.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
I don't remember the obsession with Halloween decorations as a kid. There were a few but we just got dressed up and went trick r treating. Don't have any memories of large scale decorations.

Now my kids get scared just walking to the playground with me. Numerous houses have their front yards covered shoulder to shoulder with skeletons, witches, werewolves, demons with knives, things hanging out of trees, goblins crawling on the roof, etc.

Many houses have a number of 20ft tall skeletons with eyes that light up.

I don't mind holiday spirit but my wife and I the other day were talking about how it's all somewhat demonic. It's meant to scare. With large Christmas light displays on the other hand it's meant to be beautiful and to please. To add to the joy of the season.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
I've been digging evolution a bit and I'm gobsmacked that I ever fell for this idiocy. It's of an incredible low level. A cell came into existence in the ocean based on dead matter and then developed into life? One cell? That's it? 3.5 billion years ago? How can they even estimate these numbers. It's the same as the earth came about 8 billion years ago, or the stars are 300 trillion miles away. What they do is they take something completely non sensical, and then confuse us with putting billions/millions/trillions behind it so that you can only rely on ''the experts'' aka our authority fallacy. What I realized is how recent all of these developments are: before 150 years ago all of evolution would've been absolutely laughed at. It's truly incredible that they've reached the point in such a short time to literally make it common good that this is history, and not God's Creation perspective. The levels to which we're deceived takes deeper and deeper levels when you empty the well, and it leaves you shaking your head at the level of delusion you were under and with how razor thin the stories are they get away with, razor razor razor thin and incredible from any sensical and logical perspective.

Sooth

Pelican
Gold Member
I've been digging evolution a bit and I'm gobsmacked that I ever fell for this idiocy. It's of an incredible low level. A cell came into existence in the ocean based on dead matter and then developed into life? One cell? That's it? 3.5 billion years ago? How can they even estimate these numbers. It's the same as the earth came about 8 billion years ago, or the stars are 300 trillion miles away. What they do is they take something completely non sensical, and then confuse us with putting billions/millions/trillions behind it so that you can only rely on ''the experts'' aka our authority fallacy. What I realized is how recent all of these developments are: before 150 years ago all of evolution would've been absolutely laughed at. It's truly incredible that they've reached the point in such a short time to literally make it common good that this is history, and not God's Creation perspective. The levels to which we're deceived takes deeper and deeper levels when you empty the well, and it leaves you shaking your head at the level of delusion you were under and with how razor thin the stories are they get away with, razor razor razor thin and incredible from any sensical and logical perspective.

Luckily I think the whole evolution thing is going by the way side and the experts now are babbling on about simulation style theories which I actually prefer to debate over evolution because as you say, evolution is absolutely ridiculous and the people that have deceived them selves into believing it have no space in their thinking for anything transcendental. This might have something to do with the amount of gaming that is done these days, and all this talk of the metaverse. Different universes, increasing experimentation with hallucinogens and observing "other worlds" etc.

Simulation theory is interesting because it allows for a higher unseen figure or power whos generated world we live in. This is far closer to the truth and with this theory it's possible to account for those immaterial unchanging laws like logic and morality where as with evolution this is not possible if they were honest.

bubs

Woodpecker
Protestant
Seems that every day on the local news lately some pedestrian died getting hit by a car. Any idea what is drastically different now vs all the years in the past causing this uptick in pedestrian deaths? Is this being drastic increase also being reported on the news in most major cities across the US?

bubs

Woodpecker
Protestant
I think with the ability to stream podcasts, movies, TV and music on phones and Bluetooth enabled cars, most people now prefer to get fast food and park in their car to eat somewhere nearby to eat alone and be entertained. I see random people parked in their cars all the time in shopping center or fast food parking lots. I notice probably because this is what I occasionally do as well if I’m out running errands and need a quick bite to eat. I guess it’s not really a weird mystery, but just something I notice different now adays vs 5-10 years ago or more.

It_is_my_time

Crow
Protestant
Seems that every day on the local news lately some pedestrian died getting hit by a car. Any idea what is drastically different now vs all the years in the past causing this uptick in pedestrian deaths? Is this being drastic increase also being reported on the news in most major cities across the US?
I am not sure if I can find it now, but traffic fatalities in the USA have risen sharply since the summer of Floyd in 2020. Cops are less likely to pull over people for traffic violations in major cities = more people driving like crazy = more wrecks and more deaths.

I definitely see a difference where I am at. Everyone is driving way over the speed limit, swerving in and out of lanes, and then you have the young thugs who shut down intersections to do donuts and/or drive unlicensed ATV's on city streets and through busy areas of town.

Enoch

Hummingbird
I'm still trying to figure out how a one-celled organism became a two-celled organism.

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
I think with the ability to stream podcasts, movies, TV and music on phones and Bluetooth enabled cars, most people now prefer to get fast food and park in their car to eat somewhere nearby to eat alone and be entertained. I see random people parked in their cars all the time in shopping center or fast food parking lots. I notice probably because this is what I occasionally do as well if I’m out running errands and need a quick bite to eat. I guess it’s not really a weird mystery, but just something I notice different now adays vs 5-10 years ago or more.
This is definitely a thing. Fast food restaurants used to have a significant number of people eating inside, but now their dining rooms are often empty, to the point that they've taken the drink dispensers in the dining rooms out of service, and the crew look at you weird if you do come inside and order to eat in.

All of the people who used to be eating their lunch inside are now sitting in their cars to eat.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
I'm still trying to figure out how a one-celled organism became a two-celled organism.
It's LUCA man: the Last Universal Common Ancestor! This one cell where ALL LIFE came from came from dead matter in a primordial soup in the ocean. It just flashed around a bit and then boom in a spark life came about, just chemical reactions you know. So we all came from the same cell where also trees and all animals came from, or whatever organisms for that matter, bacteria, viruses etc. But you know the scientists say so and it's 3.5 billion years ago, so yeah why not... it's really fascinating stuff lol :laughter: It's like giving a presentation that's clearly a copy from someone who already did it, then to hope on the spot that no one finds out. And that has happened with everybody in the last decades: we didn't find out, were too lazy and uninterested, and they got away with scam after scam after scam to alter any previous conception of history there was.

Grigori

Banned
Other Christian
Seems that every day someone gets shot or stabbed in the United States. Either there is a mass shooting or a one time thing. Not surprising given that the US has the most armed population, and also the one with the least amount of self restraint. People are armed, mentally unstable, and addicted to drugs, which makes them very dangerous.

Avoid major US cities, and known dangerous rural areas. Before going on a road trip in the US, always research the areas that you will be traveling through to determine if it would be safe to pass through them and/or stay at a hotel there or not.

bubs

Woodpecker
Protestant
Seems that every day someone gets shot or stabbed in the United States. Either there is a mass shooting or a one time thing. Not surprising given that the US has the most armed population, and also the one with the least amount of self restraint. People are armed, mentally unstable, and addicted to drugs, which makes them very dangerous.

Avoid major US cities, and known dangerous rural areas. Before going on a road trip in the US, always research the areas that you will be traveling through to determine if it would be safe to pass through them and/or stay at a hotel there or not.
So don’t be Clark Griswald asking for directions in the St Louis hood? Just curious where would be a sketchy rural area where you could get in trouble (assuming daylight hrs)?

Towgunner

Kingfisher
One of the things I've noticed lately that really breaks my heart is the condition of young men, namely young teenage men. It's as if they're life-force has been taken out of them. Before we could count on these young men to be loud and obnoxious, but also, comical and self-assured. The notion of a bright shining young man. Today, I see a sort of lobotomized male. Their eyes lack a lust for life. Their energy is sequestered and dull. There is no get up and go. We can blame social media and modernity, which surely play some part in this, but, let's get real. The reason is simple and obvious; this is the end-state of a massive feminists driven social engineering project that aimed to undermine boys. There is no excuse for this and the people behind it are the epitome of evil.

Gazeebo

Sparrow
Orthodox
One of the things I've noticed lately that really breaks my heart is the condition of young men, namely young teenage men. It's as if they're life-force has been taken out of them. Before we could count on these young men to be loud and obnoxious, but also, comical and self-assured. The notion of a bright shining young man. Today, I see a sort of lobotomized male. Their eyes lack a lust for life. Their energy is sequestered and dull. There is no get up and go. We can blame social media and modernity, which surely play some part in this, but, let's get real. The reason is simple and obvious; this is the end-state of a massive feminists driven social engineering project that aimed to undermine boys. There is no excuse for this and the people behind it are the epitome of evil.
I work with alot of younger individuals and see them lacking the drive I had when I was their age range (18-23). I believe this is developed around the 12-15 year range. Lack of a father figure that is not a waste of space is needed to help this or someone that can be looked up to in the work place. I strive to learn about them and try to be a mentor but 95% of the time it's in one ear and out the other and back onto tictok or some other application. It reminds me of the dragon game on an episode of South Park were you are always chasing the dragon. Just looking for the next quick dopamine rush.

rodion

Robin
Orthodox
I work with alot of younger individuals and see them lacking the drive I had when I was their age range (18-23). I believe this is developed around the 12-15 year range. Lack of a father figure that is not a waste of space is needed to help this or someone that can be looked up to in the work place. I strive to learn about them and try to be a mentor but 95% of the time it's in one ear and out the other and back onto tictok or some other application. It reminds me of the dragon game on an episode of South Park were you are always chasing the dragon. Just looking for the next quick dopamine rush.

This saddens me as for much of my life, I was like that. Video games, working a deadbeat job to get enough money to indulge in hedonism at the weekend and just coasting through life not giving a damn. It’s very hard to drag yourself into adulthood in your late twenties when you’ve formed so many bad habits and have formed so few good ones. All you can do is struggle and repent.