Weird things you noticed lately

Salocin

Woodpecker
Other Christian
This is definitely a thing. Fast food restaurants used to have a significant number of people eating inside, but now their dining rooms are often empty, to the point that they've taken the drink dispensers in the dining rooms out of service, and the crew look at you weird if you do come inside and order to eat in.
All of the people who used to be eating their lunch inside are now sitting in their cars to eat.
It seems hardly anyone is willing to even enter these places anymore, which works for me when I'm in a hurry.

The drive-through will be 10 or 15 cars deep, but if you park and go inside there is no one in line.

It seems bizarre to me because I would never enter a drive-through lane with a long line of cars.

But it works for me because I can be in and out in 5 minutes while everyone else is sitting in their car waiting for a cheeseburger.

Northumber

Sparrow
Protestant
Luckily I think the whole evolution thing is going by the way side and the experts now are babbling on about simulation style theories which I actually prefer to debate over evolution because as you say, evolution is absolutely ridiculous and the people that have deceived them selves into believing it have no space in their thinking for anything transcendental. This might have something to do with the amount of gaming that is done these days, and all this talk of the metaverse. Different universes, increasing experimentation with hallucinogens and observing "other worlds" etc.

Simulation theory is interesting because it allows for a higher unseen figure or power whos generated world we live in. This is far closer to the truth and with this theory it's possible to account for those immaterial unchanging laws like logic and morality where as with evolution this is not possible if they were honest.
Simulation theory is gaining steam!? I guess I shouldn't be suprised as all this stuff just mirrors whatever is current in culture.
Yes, this is promising to engage with. It's not far to go from that to the possibility of a spiritual consciousnesses (aka angels, in particular, virtues in the council of God) managing every aspect of reality that we see.
...could slip into paganism too.

Maddox

Kingfisher
Protestant
Simulation theory is gaining steam!? I guess I shouldn't be suprised as all this stuff just mirrors whatever is current in culture.
Yes, this is promising to engage with. It's not far to go from that to the possibility of a spiritual consciousnesses (aka angels, in particular, virtues in the council of God) managing every aspect of reality that we see.
...could slip into paganism too.

I think some of this has to do with Elon Musk who said there was a billion to 1 chance we are all in a simulation.

That's at work, which is different. I'm seeing this at a hotel, where presumably they all have rooms they could hang out in. All the rooms here have kitchenettes and living rooms, so they could be comfortable inside. Nevertheless, I saw several that were sitting in their cars for a long time.
I am guessing they don't have rooms they could hang out in.

Yep.

I heard an idea on the old version of this forum that it is like speaking in a foreign language to talk to someone with two standard deviations of IQ different than yours (whether higher or lower).

Want to get really wild?

Next, analyze your personality type. One could use Meyers-Briggs if that is amenable (at least for the sake of the example I will give). If, like me, you happen to be in the IQ range you mentioned AND have a personality type that is rare (INTJ), you are now in the 2% of population for IQ and 2% of the population for a specific personality type (which likely has some, but not all, overlaps).
I imagine having a 2SD IQ and INTJ are very strongly correlated.

Gazeebo

Sparrow
Orthodox
This saddens me as for much of my life, I was like that. Video games, working a deadbeat job to get enough money to indulge in hedonism at the weekend and just coasting through life not giving a damn. It’s very hard to drag yourself into adulthood in your late twenties when you’ve formed so many bad habits and have formed so few good ones. All you can do is struggle and repent.
I hear you rodion. I was also in that sphere. Most of the time when you're ready to change no one around you will understand it. Self improvement to many means you come off superior to them because you have the will to change. It strikes fear in them knowing they cannot achieve it and will try to drag you back down. I like to use the lobsters in a bucket analogy to explain it. If you try and escape the secular you will be dragged back into to by those around you.

DanielH

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I think some of this has to do with Elon Musk who said there was a billion to 1 chance we are all in a simulation.
A lot of this boils down to the extreme unlikelihood that a bunch of random atoms would coalesce into amino acids which then randomly coalesce into complex protein structures and DNA/RNA that is able to reproduce itself, and then randomly mutate into a multicellular structure, and then also randomly mutate into another branch which can convert CO2 into O2, and then again randomly incorporate an entirely different organism, the mitochondrion, which randomly mutated its own RNA, and then for all of that to randomly mutate into people typing on computers right now without getting wiped out by some sort of astronomical hazard like an asteroid or pulsar.

Yeah, it's not that there's a billion to one chance we're in a simulation, it's that there's >a billion to one chance that evolution makes any sense. We have a Creator, and this was all created according to His will.

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
What does "simulation" even mean in this context? To me it's another of this obfuscation terms that sounds deep but has no meaning.
A simulation is something less perfect than the real thing, a model, a simplification. It's just another spell to diminish and uglify.

It's saying we are characters in a simulator, like a military or pilot simulator. Video games use the same technology, so you could that that according to this theory, we are all characters in a video game.

It's like the Holodeck on Star Trek The Next Generation. If you're familiar with the show, they had a few holodeck characters that became sentient. In this theory, all the characters are sentient, but the world we live in and experience is really just a computer generated construct.

In some ways, it's not so different from the actual reality of creation. God created the universe, and we exist as living beings within it. The simulation theory says that some higher power created the world as a simulation, but who's to say a higher power couldn't assemble actual matter to form the simulation.

There is a reasonably well developed line of thought that this is a plausible basis for the reality we experience. I don't believe in the theory, but that's where they are coming from.

Easy_C

Peacock
If you've ever looked at more in depth esoterism, simulation stuff kinda comes around full circle to mean something extremely similar to how We understand reality: it doesn't represent everything that actually exists, but our "reality" is instead a construct created by something else. It does not necessarily mean that it's a literal "matrix" or "holodeck".

Northumber

Sparrow
Protestant
Decided to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark last night. First of all, I'm shocked this had a PG rating. I haven't watched many movies in a few years after learning about what is going on in Hollywood so maybe I'm just not desensitized anymore, but the movie is quite violent. I'm surprised I watched this as a kid. People are shot and stabbed and gored and it's all put on display. I also found myself struggling to relate to Indiana Jones. He comes off as a douche and is not as endearing as I remember.
Although the ark is the center of attention in the movie its depicted in a very subversive way. Indy more or less discounts it and, at the end, when they open it the whole thing is shown like an occult horror show. Of course there is also the nazi narrative woven through the story. Kids were watching this 40 years ago and taking it in with such reverence like a religion. It's a very strange experience to revisit movies like these and think how it was shaping culture.
Spielberg got away with quite a bit on that rating.

paternos

Kingfisher
Catholic
Decided to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark last night. First of all, I'm shocked this had a PG rating. I haven't watched many movies in a few years after learning about what is going on in Hollywood so maybe I'm just not desensitized anymore, but the movie is quite violent. I'm surprised I watched this as a kid. People are shot and stabbed and gored and it's all put on display. I also found myself struggling to relate to Indiana Jones. He comes off as a douche and is not as endearing as I remember.
Although the ark is the center of attention in the movie its depicted in a very subversive way. Indy more or less discounts it and, at the end, when they open it the whole thing is shown like an occult horror show. Of course there is also the nazi narrative woven through the story. Kids were watching this 40 years ago and taking it in with such reverence like a religion. It's a very strange experience to revisit movies like these and think how it was shaping culture.
Funny, I had that with karate kid after seeing this clip. I watched it after, and saw Johnny as the flawed hero now. It's one of my favorite movies as a kid and I can just see it as subversive now; the weird mystical power (vs the hard work the guys at Cobra Kai put in), this is what Roosh talked about it in this article yesterday. I thin it's anti Christian, it's not surprisingly produced by the jew Jerry Weintraub.

• The promise of fast results without strenuous labor
  • Guru rediscovered ancient wisdom that was “lost”
  • The rules don’t apply to the guru

Last edited:

Iacobus

Sparrow
Orthodox

Man if you think Raiders was gruesome for its rating, try Temple of Doom... or rather don't as it's a terrible film but it somehow got a PG rating while also including a man's beating heart being graphically ripped out of his chest lol.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
Random, but in passing some of the most apparent normal people I see are mailmen and women.

Decent pay. Good benefits. Outside walking the neighborhoods every day. Rarely overweight. Plenty of sun. No time to have their face in their phones. Never sitting in an office. Always nod and say hi. Easy to talk to.

Might be the best “job” no one talks about. Unless your route is in a black neighborhood. Just make sure you’re in the burbs.

inthefade

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Don't forget that 25yo Indy had a sexual "relationship" with the then 15 yo marion.
Random, but in passing some of the most apparent normal people I see are mailmen and women.

Decent pay. Good benefits. Outside walking the neighborhoods every day. Rarely overweight. Plenty of sun. No time to have their face in their phones. Never sitting in an office. Always nod and say hi. Easy to talk to.

Might be the best “job” no one talks about. Unless your route is in a black neighborhood. Just make sure you’re in the burbs.
I have actually been thinking about completely changing my career and becoming a postman. It does take a while before you get a full time position with benefits. You start by subbing on others' routes part-time at about $19-20/hr, which is pretty low in my area. Still thinking about it.

Northumber

Sparrow
Protestant
Don't forget that 25yo Indy had a sexual "relationship" with the then 15 yo marion.

So that's what it actually is? I caught the innuendo in the movie. Indy resorts to using Marion for his own interests throughout the movie. It's upsetting going back to these old movies and noticing the subversion and predictive programming. I suppose we should be thankful God has allowed us to have the eyes to see.