Western Foods that cause Allergies

Mercury

Sparrow
Catholic
Long story short, my wife is foreign born and after marriage we lived in the United States together. Within 3 years she developed a shrimp allergy to a severity to where it causes an anaphylactic reaction. Her previously favorite food, we managed to find out about this allergy in the worst way possible while on pilgrimage in Mexico after she ate ceviche. Lucky for us we found a pharmacy about to close who gave her the shot. 5 minutes later I would have been a widow.

Fast forward to today. We moved back to the United States, now with a young 8 year daughter in tow who has no allergies. I noticed that young children around us are riddled with allergies and asthma (not to mention ADD, ADHD, etc.). That said, I'm trying to figure out what I should be avoiding beyond the highly processed foods to limit risks of developing allergies.

kurtybro

Woodpecker
I don't think the consumption of food can cause a full blown allergy, at least directly.

From what i've gathered, it COULD be additives/hormones/preservatives/pesticides which the person may be reacting to.

Another thing that's seemingly important is the state of your microbiome and gut barrier integrity; leaky gut seems to be very strongly correlated to allergies/sensitivities. May be something to check out.

Jive Turkey

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
No idea what is going on with allergies, I know someone who developed a shrimp allergy in their 50s and then had it go away again a few years later. I had allergies come and go as a child as well. It may be related to stress or vaccination perhaps

Mercury

Sparrow
Catholic
I know someone who developed a shrimp allergy in their 50s and then had it go away again a few years later. I had allergies come and go as a child as well. It may be related to stress or vaccination
Possible. The main change for her was country of residence. This is why I tied it to a toxin in our food supply that is causing this.

Tom Slick

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I lived abroad for years in a third world country where people's general health was very poor, especially their respiratory health because of air pollution, however they did not have noticeable allergies they way Americans do to things like pollen and food.

Long story short, one of the biggest differences between growing up in that country and the USA is the vaccines.

They're screwing with our immune systems. Just one example, they're putting peanut oil in some vaccines and what allergy is exploding? Peanuts.

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Leaky gut is probably the number one cause of sudden new allergies as an adult and it's becoming more and more common with children. Another could be SIBO - small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

The main destroyers of gut health as I understand it are:
High sugar diet and foods / high fructose corn syrup
High carb diet and foods / high gluten foods / high grain diet
Seed oils (too much omega 6, and not enough omega 3)
Processed foods (low nutrient density, many unnatural modified and hidden ingredients, even in so-called health food brands, though not as bad)
All GMOs (usually virtually empty of real vitamins, full of artificial vitamins and dangerous chemical treatments like glyphosate, and high in other harmful substances)

The standard American diet (SAD diet) is absolutely loaded to the brim with all of these, of course.

I would recommend a keto diet or some form of low carb / low sugar diet, or at least a whole / fresh food diet. For someone who already has allergies or other symptoms, I would pair that with intermittent fasting, usually 16/8 or 14/10 is good for a start. Some people do better on a fruit and veggie plant diet, at least temporarily, usually women. I never did well on that long-term.

There's a lot than can be said about this topic. I'm in the process of healing leaky gut myself. Establishment doctors are worse than useless to help you in this area. They are specifically avoidant of anything to do with nutrition and healing based on diet and eating habits and the body's own natural regenerative powers. It's all about making you into a dependent drug user.

Last edited:

Philip Dru

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
There's a lot than can be said about this topic. I'm in the process of healing leaky gut myself. Establishment doctors are worse than useless to help you in this area. They are specifically avoidant of anything to do with nutrition and healing based on diet and eating habits and the body's own natural regenerative powers. It's all about making you into a dependent drug user.

I likely have leaky gut. Are you also borderline diabetic? I suspect leaky gut is related to fungal overgrowth in the intestines.

That said, I'm trying to figure out what I should be avoiding beyond the highly processed foods to limit risks of developing allergies.

Bread. Several people close to me can eat bread overseas but not American bread. My wife in particular gets severe reactions.

It's probably easier to list what you CAN eat though, given the state of our food supply.

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I likely have leaky gut. Are you also borderline diabetic? I suspect leaky gut is related to fungal overgrowth in the intestines.

I have some symptoms similar to prediabetes, but I'm almost certain they are caused by leaky gut instead, as my A1c is below the risk level and I have no other signs of prediabetes in my bloodwork or various scans. Leaky gut has a long list of symptoms. That doesn't mean that I'm not on track to get diabetes if I didn't do anything to change my diet and lifestyle because I could very well be, but, based on my current condition, I'm more likely on track to get an autoimmune disease which is what I'm trying to prevent, along with improving my quality of life by reducing painful and inconvenient symptoms.

According to estimates from real doctors (doctors who actually care about nutrition) as much as 50-70% of Americans are on track for prediabetes / T2 diabetes given a long enough time line on their current diet. Or a whole host of autoimmune diseases. Or both.

Bread. Several people close to me can eat bread overseas but not American bread. My wife in particular gets severe reactions.

This is very likely due to GMOs and glyphosate use, which is especially high in US ag, and has been banned in many other countries. US wheat is also modified to be super high in gluten, which has a deleterious effect on the body over time similar to high sugar consumption, but with its own cocktail of symptoms and diseases.

Jaybosan

Pigeon
Protestant
My understanding is you want to train your immune system to be able to recognize threats from harmless particles, so exposing it to a variety of flora and fauna at a young age is helpful in preventing allergies later in life. One article I recall from years ago said the ideal situation is to raise your child on a cow farm. I see the rise of hand sanitizer and anti-bacterial soaps/wipes as a potential culprit in the rise of allergies. The late unpleasantness will not help this situation. My sister washed her hands regularly, stayed indoors reading and watching TV all through her childhood. I ran around outside without shoes, playing in the dirt and shoving crickets into my mouth on a few occasions as a child. The results: she is on lots of allergy meds, and I occasionally get the sniffles from mowing the grass.

Mercury

Sparrow
Catholic
I have some symptoms similar to prediabetes, but I'm almost certain they are caused by leaky gut instead, as my A1c is below the risk level and I have no other signs of prediabetes in my bloodwork or various scans. Leaky gut has a long list of symptoms. That doesn't mean that I'm not on track to get diabetes if I didn't do anything to change my diet and lifestyle because I could very well be, but, based on my current condition, I'm more likely on track to get an autoimmune disease which is what I'm trying to prevent, along with improving my quality of life by reducing painful and inconvenient symptoms.

According to estimates from real doctors (doctors who actually care about nutrition) as much as 50-70% of Americans are on track for prediabetes / T2 diabetes given a long enough time line on their current diet. Or a whole host of autoimmune diseases. Or both.

This is very likely due to GMOs and glyphosate use, which is especially high in US ag, and has been banned in many other countries. US wheat is also modified to be super high in gluten, which has a deleterious effect on the body over time similar to high sugar consumption, but with its own cocktail of symptoms and diseases.

So if we want to get a more normal wheat, where are we going to find that at?

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
So if we want to get a more normal wheat, where are we going to find that at?
Ancient grains or 100% sprouted bread may be good, but I haven't researched it. You'll have to research every brand and ingredient.

Eating gluten free is what I do. However, even gluten free bread is still really high carb, so for me personally, I barely eat any bread. Maybe a half slice here or there with butter.

Mercury

Sparrow
Catholic
Ancient grains or 100% sprouted bread may be good, but I haven't researched it. You'll have to research every brand and ingredient.

Eating gluten free is what I do. However, even gluten free bread is still really high carb, so for me personally, I barely eat any bread. Maybe a half slice here or there with butter.
Following Roosh's lead I make almost all my own breads now. But I'm wondering what we need to do to source a better flour.