What Are Some Dreams and Nightmares You've Had?

Dream-shaping tech from MIT channels suggestions into your dreams

"MIT scientists have figured out how to manipulate your dreams by combining an app with a sleep-tracking device called Dormio. In their new study, the researchers were able to insert certain topics into a person's dreams, with some pretty bizarre outcomes.

To do so, the researchers at MIT Media Lab's Fluid Interfaces — a group that develops wearable systems and interfaces to enhance cognitive skills — used a technique called targeted dream incubation (TDI).

Prior studies have shown that during a rare dream state known lucid dreaming, in which a sleeper is aware that a dream is taking place, dreamers can use that awareness to consciously shape aspects of their dreams. TDI takes advantage of an early sleep stage, known as hypnagogia, to achieve a similar result (though not quite "controlling" dreams outright), researchers told Live Science."

homersheineken

Kingfisher
I had this very vivid dream where bored and repressed people were looking for any form of stimulation and entertainment. They would congregate is areas together, like a mall parking lot. The people were already uneasy and full of tension. Then people would shoot off fireworks and the crowd would roar applause, demanding more. All the while tension was building and people were running around getting more excited.

They liked the large sound and explosions. Initially they would also release small denomination money from drones to help draw more people. This would cause pandemonium and panic as the people would hope to get a few bucks. Then more fireworks would go off. Sometimes the fireworks would show a number, indicating how many more shots it would fire off in a row. "5" meant that it would have five more explosions. Then sometimes the explosions wouldn't be in the air, it would be on the ground. A car. The people would freak out and scatter. But not too far, they were addicted to the dopamine rush.

Also to the cash drops, but mostly, something was happening and they had to be part of it. Then a new firework number would go up and sometimes it had a question at the end "7?" People would cheer, since it was ingrained that if a little is good, more is obviously better. Then the explosions would happen in the air, but then more would happen on the ground, including cars that people had driven there for the spectacle - not just previously placed cars. Participant's property was now part of the "festival"/spectacle and that seemed to both scare people and enliven them, enabling the situation to become all the more real.

People couldn't understand how this could be happening. But they didn't want to leave. And each time the ratio of explosions in the air vs. the ground would increase towards the ground explosions causing further damage and injury. But still people just run around, scream in total hysteria and eagerly await the new fireworks/explosions.

I was there and quite scared and I couldn't figure out why the people stayed there and why'd they'd continually come back. They were literally scared beyond belief, but stayed. This was it, their moment to collectively be a part of the current fad; replacing whatever cohesion that had happened from sports or primetime tv or local culture spots (bars, theatres, etc). The addiction to a scene (and the rush that came from it), being a part of something was so great that people would not only risk injury or death, but would wish for more of it to sustain this rush. It was at that point in the dream I thought are these people insane?? Or was it I, who wanted to leave?

I couldn't find the default dream thread, and this post will be equally, if not more, spiritual based.

In the Fall of my sophomore year of college, I declared myself an atheist. I was flirting with agnosticism before due to feeling judged by young Christians. Facing a second year of not having a car (I still don't), I was in despair. I still equate faith as a byproduct of family and financial stability, like it's more conducive to producing gratitude and reverence if life is good.

I'll spare any other backstory for now and cut to it: I had a rare lucid dream that abruptly turned demonic. That evening I smoked an unfiltered Marlboro red which somehow put me to bed at 9:30pm.

When I passed out I was in a realistic dream state. I was on the grass looking up at my 3rd floor apartment window of my room. The light was on and I saw my roommates handling my stuff. As soon as I asked myself why they were doing it, I was teleported into my room, now dark.

Instead of flipping the switch, I opened the bedroom door. What I saw was outlines of the furniture (i.e. couch, bar) with the living room completely engulfed in flames. Fire was the only visible element, like it was the surface of Venus or the sun.

In that environment were naked "people", except they were bald with slitted eyes. I felt fear and myself screaming. At once I was elevated away from the scene in what felt like swirling motions.

With that I awoke with a start. That incident is etched in my mind and taught me the perils of atheism. I became more tolerant of Christianity, though I am off/on in worship.

I've only started putting thought into the Lord two days ago upon watching some videos on public WiFi that I got into during the beginning of quarantine. I'm trying to make it about Christ and salvation rather than prosperity or even health.

I'd be interested to hear analysis of my nightmare and if anyone else has spiritual dreams.

DelMarMisty

I couldn't find the default dream thread, and this post will be equally, if not more, spiritual based.

In the Fall of my sophomore year of college, I declared myself an atheist. I was flirting with agnosticism before due to feeling judged by young Christians. Facing a second year of not having a car (I still don't), I was in despair. I still equate faith as a byproduct of family and financial stability, like it's more conducive to producing gratitude and reverence if life is good.

I'll spare any other backstory for now and cut to it: I had a rare lucid dream that abruptly turned demonic. That evening I smoked an unfiltered Marlboro red which somehow put me to bed at 9:30pm.

When I passed out I was in a realistic dream state. I was on the grass looking up at my 3rd floor apartment window of my room. The light was on and I saw my roommates handling my stuff. As soon as I asked myself why they were doing it, I was teleported into my room, now dark.

Instead of flipping the switch, I opened the bedroom door. What I saw was outlines of the furniture (i.e. couch, bar) with the living room completely engulfed in flames. Fire was the only visible element, like it was the surface of Venus or the sun.

In that environment were naked "people", except they were bald with slitted eyes. I felt fear and myself screaming. At once I was elevated away from the scene in what felt like swirling motions.

With that I awoke with a start. That incident is etched in my mind and taught me the perils of atheism. I became more tolerant of Christianity, though I am off/on in worship.

I've only started putting thought into the Lord two days ago upon watching some videos on public WiFi that I got into during the beginning of quarantine. I'm trying to make it about Christ and salvation rather than prosperity or even health.

I'd be interested to hear analysis of my nightmare and if anyone else has spiritual dreams.
That dream sounds terrifying. I am unsure whether the Lord would send dreams like this? Although, Acts 2:17: ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.'
Perhaps a prompt for you? I notice bad vibes when I have smoked in the past also. You said you become tolerant of Christianity? Is this still the case with added worship or you've found a stronger connection now? The Lord works in mysterious ways. I do not meet many ex-atheists that come to the faith, so it is good to see.

That dream sounds terrifying. I am unsure whether the Lord would send dreams like this? Although, Acts 2:17: ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.'
Perhaps a prompt for you? I notice bad vibes when I have smoked in the past also. You said you become tolerant of Christianity? Is this still the case with added worship or you've found a stronger connection now? The Lord works in mysterious ways. I do not meet many ex-atheists that come to the faith, so it is good to see.

Shortly before the semester, I procrastinated and tried getting prescribed Adderall as a study aid but they started me on Ritalin. What happened was that everything was basically enhanced, from my attention span to my emotions. It was like how I imagine speed to feel. I imagine that and the usual suspects of weekend alcohol binges and pot all culminated into pushing my psyche into overdrive.

It was when a Faaceebook page didn't have tabs and was just a wall with your interests/status/etc. listed. I decided to label myself atheist on Faaacebook as a way to be definitive, to take a side. In hindsight I'm grateful that my occasionally antagonistic friends were concerned and compelled to speak to me against atheism. Back then and even now sometimes I'm ungrateful because things don't always add up to a solid foundation, but I'm trying to keep up with putting aside my interests in favor of being more attuned to God and Jesus as of the past few days.

What led me to attack Christianity was I was ashamed and jealous of other Christians. They were a group of guys I befriended in freshman year of high school. By junior year they invited me to the local First Baptist, and those two years are still a highlight of positivity in my life. What made me feel negative was that, despite their acceptance and embracing of me, I was poorer than them. Once in a while I would feel judged or looked down at for not having a car. I lived in the country so it was difficult to get to a job in town, especially with the low population/high density of the area.

With that and the typical angst of a jaded college student, I decided to lash out against faith. That dream was enough to back me off being that way towards religion. I let in serious blasphemy almost 10 years later though, to the point it's popped up unwanted in my head and I had to take mental initiatives to nip it as it was happening. What's helping me now is the faith, to be centered on that in some capacity. I'm wary of even desiring a good life, since that was my way of bargaining away my salvation in the past.

I'm a believer, but I'm not at a place to act on it and help others. Usually my progress is a loop rather than a ladder. Knowing that about myself compels me to take the consequences of my sin seriously.

DelMarMisty

Shortly before the semester, I procrastinated and tried getting prescribed Adderall as a study aid but they started me on Ritalin. What happened was that everything was basically enhanced, from my attention span to my emotions. It was like how I imagine speed to feel. I imagine that and the usual suspects of weekend alcohol binges and pot all culminated into pushing my psyche into overdrive.

It was when a Faaceebook page didn't have tabs and was just a wall with your interests/status/etc. listed. I decided to label myself atheist on Faaacebook as a way to be definitive, to take a side. In hindsight I'm grateful that my occasionally antagonistic friends were concerned and compelled to speak to me against atheism. Back then and even now sometimes I'm ungrateful because things don't always add up to a solid foundation, but I'm trying to keep up with putting aside my interests in favor of being more attuned to God and Jesus as of the past few days.

What led me to attack Christianity was I was ashamed and jealous of other Christians. They were a group of guys I befriended in freshman year of high school. By junior year they invited me to the local First Baptist, and those two years are still a highlight of positivity in my life. What made me feel negative was that, despite their acceptance and embracing of me, I was poorer than them. Once in a while I would feel judged or looked down at for not having a car. I lived in the country so it was difficult to get to a job in town, especially with the low population/high density of the area.

With that and the typical angst of a jaded college student, I decided to lash out against faith. That dream was enough to back me off being that way towards religion. I let in serious blasphemy almost 10 years later though, to the point it's popped up unwanted in my head and I had to take mental initiatives to nip it as it was happening. What's helping me now is the faith, to be centered on that in some capacity. I'm wary of even desiring a good life, since that was my way of bargaining away my salvation in the past.

I'm a believer, but I'm not at a place to act on it and help others. Usually my progress is a loop rather than a ladder. Knowing that about myself compels me to take the consequences of my sin seriously.
I think there is a pattern I see with Christians that if their lives don't align to the way they thought, and because they are good 'Christians' they feel like they should be rewarded accordingly. I was/am guilty of this too. Along the way, however, I learnt that what you think of a 'good' life, isn't always in line with God's will. For me, when I desire a 'good life' its mostly in a secular way. It's impossible to desire any life at all, without Christ's guidance. If you completely and utterly give up your life to Christ, the joy comes from the most simple things. It shocks me sometimes, because I used to laugh at people who used to be happy at little simple things, as I thought it was trivial and pointless and thought of them as ignorant. But while you enjoy living in Christ, He unveils greater, bigger and better plans. Sometimes, they still won't seem big enough, because the human desire is such that it is restless in this life. Then, when you realise it, you see Christ's work the whole way. It is not easy of course, carrying the cross daily. The enemy works hard to entrap our minds.

What was it specifically that convicted you to come back again?

SpyofMoses

Pigeon
I had a dream the other night I thought I'd share. Posting in this thread because I think it's the most relevant dream thread to post this in:

It started with me swimming deep under water. Everything around me was a formless blue void. Different shapes began to slowly materialize around me. They became a display of marine life like I've never seen before- manta rays, enormous schools of fish; the kind of scene you only see in an ocean documentary.

Then they transformed into everyone I've ever known. All the memories I had with them began playing as they floated by. I was swimming in an ocean of memories. They transformed again into formless apparitions, like CGI ghosts floating and multiplying around me. Now I was swimming in circles in an ocean of souls until I woke up.

This dream was very moving in the best of ways. For the past few weeks I've been praying for a sign that I might not be alone forever, as I'm currently isolated. After this dream, I woke up feeling like I may be isolated for now, but I am not alone. Is this what people mean when they talk of "Feeling the Lord's presence"?