What are the best Youtube alternatives?

R.G.Camara

Kingfisher
BitChute is probably the best alternative. It's good, but still the interface is much worse than YouTube. Many of my YouTube videos are "suggestions" and they work for me, except now with the bans I'm getting fewer good recommendations. BitChute has fewer content creators, and many YouTubers are shamed from joining BitChure because its' called "far right" (lol). (Google, which owns YouTube, still has the best algorithm for searches, which benefits YouTube in searches and recommendations.)

Vimeo seems to be a place for filmmaking/editing geeks. I watched Cernovich's "Hoxed" there for a fee a year ago, and it was a good experience.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Site name | Alexa rank
-----------------------------------
Bitchute | 2K
DLive | 4K
Banned | 10K
LBRY | 10K
Invidio.us | 25K (Youtube clone)
D.Tube | 30K
Brighteon | 50K
BitTube.tv | 60K
PeerTube | 200K (?)

The best are the top 4.
BitChute is the most reliable, with the most content, the most growth, but the interface and search are shockingly bad
DLive is generally reliable, better quality, but doesn't archive all content
Banned.video is Alex Jones' private platform - it's more professional than and more reliable than the others. Seems he has completely filled the gap left by his YouTube ban. He has welcomed fellow exiles: David Icke and Tommy Robinson
LBRY can be a bit slow, but is a much better experience than Bitchute - though videos can sometimes be very slow

I think LBRY is the one with the most potential. It will still work if their domain is pulled and it appears to be the most decentralised.

How much money would it cost to create a viable Youtube alternative? I would assume it would take several million dollars, at the very least. And probably much more.

I wonder when/if Bitchute will upgrade to fix their interface and subject search...

TheFinalEpic

Pelican
Gold Member
How much money would it cost to create a viable Youtube alternative? I would assume it would take several million dollars, at the very least. And probably much more.

I wonder when/if Bitchute will upgrade to fix their interface and subject search...
To build out the front end and database structure, not really that much. Maybe a couple hundred grand.

The issue is storing all that video. That's a tremendous burden only something like a Google or Amazon could do at scale.

Peertube mitigates a lot of this cost by having everything federated and hosted using bittorrent protocols. I think that any viable alternative needs to be decentralized, and Bitchute is not that.

Bird

Kingfisher
Peertube mitigates a lot of this cost by having everything federated and hosted using bittorrent protocols. I think that any viable alternative needs to be decentralized, and Bitchute is not that.

I use www.libre.video to publish certain videos here, it seems to be the same platform/company(?) as peertube is.
They support 720p and offer a mp4 download link (direct & torrent) which is pretty fine.
Thumbs down for the limitation of 1GB per account (which doesn't allow to store Roosh's epic streams 720p).

Pendleton

Pelican
There isn't one in many cases because Youtube is the only place where much of the content is being uploaded. I've been able to find a lot of the political videos I normally watch on Bitchute. Otherwise, I watch directly on the creators' websites when possible. Amazon and Youtube are about the last two evil corporations I still have ties to and, while I have greatly reduced the amount that I use them, it is hard to cut them out completely.

MajorStyles

Pelican
I have the same question at the moment. YouTube has become so pozzed that it's very irritating. I actually started a Vimeo account, only to find out that they are equally as polluted. I will be checking out some of these recommendations.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Having looked into it more LBRY use a similar method to Bitchute do or did use. Bitchute host the files on their own servers, but then people who watch them have their upstream used to seed the video via a torrent. Im not sure if they still do that. Obvious issue is any old videos will only stream from their servers, which will no doubt be at risk in the next 2-3 years.

Bitchute seems to have annual funds of around $350,000. Good for a site that must be streaming over or close to 1 billion minutes per month.

LBRY say that their system is more decentralised, as it has no central point and will continue working so long as there are nodes. They also say it would be virtially impossible for anyone to filter LBRY packets, ie ISPs.

However, they host the videos and without that there would be virtually nothing that works.

The big bottleneck with decentralisation is the need to have the files hosted. Who is going to host Roosh Hour 1 from 2014 247?

LBRY also lacks a big warchest, though their team is much better than BitChute. They'd need a large benefactor like EOS or Telegram to grow quicker.

So maybe DLive will see better growth as it is backed by Tron and BitTorrent, who are also working on the backbone of a decentralised web. EOS have stumped $250m for a Twitter rival.

Banned.video is Alex Jones' private platform - it's more professional than and more reliable than the others. Seems he has completely filled the gap left by his YouTube ban. He has welcomed fellow exiles: David Icke and Tommy Robinson

I'm fairly certain he's a paid professional, so be careful when you sign up for a platform run by a supplement hawking actor with three letter agency backing.

Anything the powers that be really don't want to exist anymore they will deplatform.

Radoste

Sparrow
UGEtube is an interesting, but obscure video platform that is like kind of bitchute, yet more 2A-oriented. Most "trending" videos have less than 1k views and topics like corona skepticism, anti-zionism, civil unrest, guns, fishing, and whatnot are common. Your favorite content producers very likely don't have an account, but it's interesting to see what's being uploaded.

foolhardie

Pigeon
Youtube today has two major functions: video posting, and video viewing.

One has to consider alternatives fitting under these two branches.

For video viewing, one's priorities should be: having a large selection of available videos, evading geolocation restrictions, age restrictions (assuming the viewer is an adult), not requiring one to log in to his google account, maintaining a degree of anonymity in his video views.

Considering these criteria, Youtube is still king in the wide-breadth of available videos. However, using Youtube often times subject one to blocking/restrictions aforementioned -- not to mention google keeping a track of all your views (down to the very second of the videos).

Thus, in accessing Youtube's video trove, one should use Invidious. Invidious is a front for accessing youtube videos without you requiring to login to your google account, and without google tracking your searches and video views, etc.

Next to invidious, for video viewing, as an alternative, one has Bitchute and LBRY. These two platforms are relatively new, and uphold, --at least pay a lip service to--, freedom of speech/expression, etc. One can easily find political commentary videos that are outside of the todays "politically correct" atmosphere. Further, another plus of these two platforms, especially LBRY, one can also find hollywood movies to watch. These two platforms are small and have limited moderation manpower, so, it takes a lot more time for them to respond to a DMCA request and remove a hollywood movie that was posted there.

For video uploading, one's priorities should be: having a degree of ownership on the videos posted, having the freedom to talk about any subject he wishes to (without having the fear of the invisible ""algorithm""), and other peripheral expectations such as 99% uptime, fast streaming for the viewers etc.

For having a degree of ownership on videos one posts, I would suggest having a Peertube instance on a server somewhere. Peertube is a software that creates a small youtube of your own, in your own server, that you control, and that allows you to upload videos of your choice. It also allows federation, in the sense that other peertube instances can federate with your instance and allow your videos to be discoverable from their own instances. It's like mastodon/pleroma for video hosting.

Recently, our based techie Luke Smith has started his own peertube instance. And I remember after him hearing Roosh getting banned from Youtube, he offered to host Roosh's videos on his own Peertube instance.

Apart from having a peertube instance, other options for hosting your videos are, again, Bitchute and LBRY. These two services give the ownership of your videos to you to a lesser degree than having your own peertube instance. LBRY is using a blockchain for ownership, and Bitchute just promises that they won't delete your videos unless you go against their terms of service.

So, what's the takeaway?

Today we certainly have more alternatives to video hosting/viewing than we had 3 years ago. New software and new platforms have certainly matured and are at some good level of usability. When it comes to hosting videos, we are not trapped to the monopoly of youtube. We can easily upload videos to aforementioned platforms, and point a link to our videos for our followers (twitter/blog/email newsletter, etc.) and can reach our follower base.

So, use peertube, use LBRY, use bitchute.

Use encryption, own your data. Use protonmail for communication.

Use a VPN, use Tor Browser for eavding censorship or spying.

Use Bitcoin, use Monero for payments or donation.

You have the tools today.

kel

Ostrich
Bitchute does distribute video by a torrent-like protocol, as well. One of the risks of using Bitchute is that if you're watching a video, someone else can see it because they'll be getting content from your IP if they're watching the same video.

I think that's a fair exchange, IMO, but something privacy-oriented people should consider.

Hosting is expensive, still, and for what I'm planning anonymity (for me) would be essential (and very difficult to ensure - getting hosting [especially on that scale], DNS, etc. while keeping oneself anonymous would be a constant struggle).

username

Ostrich
Gold Member
Kel, do you know anything about live streaming? It's pretty easy to set up static videos but I just started looking into live streaming and it's a bit complicated. Are all the good live streaming server software with perpetual licensing fees? I looked into Red5 and Wowza and they charge a lot for their software. Is Nimble Streamer a workable alternative?

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
Bitchute does distribute video by a torrent-like protocol, as well. One of the risks of using Bitchute is that if you're watching a video, someone else can see it because they'll be getting content from your IP if they're watching the same video.
That is the claim, but the founder of 8chan has stated there is no peer to peer or torrenting going on at Bitchute.
Not sure what you mean by the last sentence. The entire point of peer to peer is that other computers "see" your mirrored content.

foolhardie

Pigeon
Furthermore, even if Bitchute used bittorrent to serve the videos, the viewers of the videos cannot seed the videos themselves (as opposed to peertube). So, that means, all the data comes from the servers of Bitchute only, and the Bitchute is in control of the videos served.

So, Bitchute is not decentralized.

Peertube is decentralized.