What are you currently reading?

Lunostrelki

Woodpecker
"Stories to Caution the World," second volume of the Chinese "sanyan" collections compiled and edited by Ming Dynasty-era writer Feng Menglong. The stories are adventures involving women, business, politics, or all three. It can be sort of long-winded and you need a basic understanding of Chinese culture to appreciate it, but there's a lot of unconventional yet ultimately traditional moral guidance in it that affirms a lot of what is discussed here at RVF.

fokker

Kingfisher
Finally got around to picking up Art of the Deal today. Good stuff so far. My favourite part is where Trump moved to Manhattan in 1971 and tried joining that exclusive club.

Stonk

Robin
Currently reading Steven Lee Myer's "The New Tsar: The rise and the reign of Vladimir Putin".

Brilliant book. Exposes how Putin clinched onto power.

Kurgan

Kingfisher
The Art of the Deal by The Donald, I picked it up on Kindle on Amazon. I've been reading it on my PC that I have some breathing room with no homework from grad school this weekend.

Every guy who wants to do well in life should read this. It's actually helping me see things through different eyes and it's pretty clear how he was able to win when everyone in the political side wrote him off as a joke. It was the things he discussed that made him like not being a doormat and thinking big. I've already been doing that over time since I've been on this blog. That section reassured me I should keep doing what I'm doing.

Dulceácido

Ostrich
Thomas Jackson said:
The Bell Curve
Be careful with that one... Came out SOOOO many years ago and there are other social scientist that say the data is flawed.

I wrote a paper in grad school, citing it many times, and I got shredded by a professor.
Typical nature vs. nurture argument, but it happened. I happen to agree with the premise of the text, but just beware, if you start spouting it and there is someone academically profound in the group that has an opposing argument, you could be put on spot.

Thomas Jackson

Woodpecker
Dulceácido said:
Thomas Jackson said:
The Bell Curve
Be careful with that one... Came out SOOOO many years ago and there are other social scientist that say the data is flawed.

I wrote a paper in grad school, citing it many times, and I got shredded by a professor.
Typical nature vs. nurture argument, but it happened. I happen to agree with the premise of the text, but just beware, if you start spouting it and there is someone academically profound in the group that has an opposing argument, you could be put on spot.

I would like to see an update, but from my reading of other books (Wade, Cochran, Sailer) and work in the HBD sphere I would bet it has been proven even more accurate with increased understanding of the human genome. Social science professors dislike the book as it goes against their b/s blank slate beliefs.

Eusebius

Hummingbird
Gold Member
The Bell Curve was a seminal book and its methodology and conclusions are certainly of good academic quality. The establishment closed ranks against other in a major way and citing it is like waving a red flag in front of bull. Or citing Luther to the Catholic clergy. Any "shredding" must take into account its ground zero status in the culture wars. In fact, its reception is a major turning point in "how we got here". Which has nothing to do with its quality as a scientific work.

Thot Leader

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Dulceácido said:
Thomas Jackson said:
The Bell Curve