What are you currently reading?

I'm currently going through Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. I have Quintus Curtious' 37 in the mail. First time ordering from Book Depository and so far I'm not happy with the company.

This is a mix of audiobooks and physical books I finished in the past 30 days. I didn't list the 10+ books I found the summaries of.

Investment Biker by Jim Rogers
The Long Tail by Chris Anderson
Dark Genius of Wall Street by Ed Renehan

This is just me but I find time to listen to audiobooks or insightful youtube videos while I'm eating or commuting.

"I constantly see people rise in life who are not the smartest, sometimes not even the most diligent, but they are learning machines. They go to bed every night a little wiser than they were when they got up and boy does that help, particularly when you have a long run ahead of you."
--Charlie Munger

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
Kamala's biography

bd35a198b83a219ef6db97940f88f74d.jpg

Jernk

Chicken
I try to alternate history/politics and something self-help. Currently reading a book on the Alamo "A Time To Stand: The Epic of the Alamo" by Walter Lord. The story has me inspired so I will probably read something about exercise or physical health. I have heard great things about "Strength Training Anatomy" by Frederic Delavier but it may be a little bit too advanced a subject for me since I have no background in the sciences

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Finished The Curse of Chalion. Excellent fantasy/humor novel about a middle aged man dealing with the duplicity of the people around him.

Highly recommend the book, maybe the best writing I've come across in the last few years. The protagonist is not a spry, super human young man, a male Mary Sue. He is a washed up, humorous middle aged guy who has seen life and all the problems with it, but chooses to stay positive. Religion is very important in the book, along with prayer. 10/10

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Listening to The Benedict Option by Rod Dreher.

The main idea is that society and even the church has gone too far astray to be counted on. The writer suggests that we look to Monastic life and try to implement many of those ways of life into our own. If that involves cutting off public school, media, entertainment, etc, in the goal, then so be it.

I'm a bit divided on some of the ideas in the book, but the main idea is something we talk about a lot here. Things are really bad. Even priests and the church cant be counted on to be conservative. What's the point of being a part of a church where the priests praises homosexual marriage and tells everyone that white people are evil, racist, bigots.

The writer suggest we might need to find our own little communities and hunker down for a while.

Overall a good book, at least for thinking and listening to while walking the dog.

Kiwi

Pigeon
Yes, Bible reading daily. That's a given, for me.

i really prefer the audio version of the bible read by the wonderful david sucheton on Youtube. check it out. no artificial nonsense or added effects.

the bible is so deep that i love to just focus on word or sentence for a while and meditate. i'm on the gospel of john right now and the idea of light and love is blowing me away, and i need time to allow the work of the spirit and meditate on it, so the only problem is how fast the audio moves when listening only..... i at least need to perhaps do the same in the mornings, more often .

(apologies for grammer, i have a keyboard that many of the keys don't work )