What are you currently reading?

matts

Chicken
Listening to The Benedict Option by Rod Dreher.

The main idea is that society and even the church has gone too far astray to be counted on. The writer suggests that we look to Monastic life and try to implement many of those ways of life into our own. If that involves cutting off public school, media, entertainment, etc, in the goal, then so be it.

I'm a bit divided on some of the ideas in the book, but the main idea is something we talk about a lot here. Things are really bad. Even priests and the church cant be counted on to be conservative. What's the point of being a part of a church where the priests praises homosexual marriage and tells everyone that white people are evil, racist, bigots.

The writer suggest we might need to find our own little communities and hunker down for a while.

Overall a good book, at least for thinking and listening to while walking the dog.
He has a good blog at The American Conservative

randallv

Chicken
Currently approaching the end of "Live Not By Lies" by Rod Dreher. It's about living out life as a Christian dissident as we approach an era of what he describes as "soft totalitarianism". He interviewed many people who did this effectively in eastern Europe and the U.S.S.R. under harsh communist rule (hard totalitarianism). I think this is a very timely and relevant book for our times. He also blogs on theamericanconservative website. I think he's a Catholic.

matts

Chicken
Currently approaching the end of "Live Not By Lies" by Rod Dreher. It's about living out life as a Christian dissident as we approach an era of what he describes as "soft totalitarianism". He interviewed many people who did this effectively in eastern Europe and the U.S.S.R. under harsh communist rule (hard totalitarianism). I think this is a very timely and relevant book for our times. He also blogs on theamericanconservative website. I think he's a Catholic.
Nyet, he is an Orthodox Christian, he was a Catholic I believe. I like his blog and the book.

Sherman

Ostrich
I read an interesting book: "Why Materialism is Baloney" by Bernardo Kastup. The first few chapters give an airtight argument on why science doesn't support the Materialist model and shows why it is extremely improbable.

I recently finished Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain. It was so good that I inwardly forgave him for A Connetticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. While Twain sometimes comes across as disdainful of Christianity, this book celebrated the call to virtue and following Christ. And it didn't hurt Twain's humor a bit.

Apparently late in his life, a neighbor's kid mentioned how much he enjoyed Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Fin. Twain looked at him disapprovingly and said, ""You shouldn’t read those books about bad boys. My best book is my Recollections of Joan of Arc."